Lamb Loin Chops ala Moose & D Riches

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I don't cook a lot of lamb so when I went looking for a recipe and cooking method, I found a recipe from Derrick Riches and a tasty looking post by brother Moose a few months ago and decided to combine the two.

I picked up these natural lamb loin chops (imported from New Zealand):
IMG_9168.jpg

and got together these ingredients (lemon & garlic not shown - I didn't have a lemon and was too lazy to run out for one and garlic was used but missed the pic):
IMG_9170.jpg

let them marinate for 5-6 hours:
IMG_9175.jpg

then fired up the Mini Egg with a couple of pieces of Green Leaf's wine infused oak for a little smoke:
IMG_9182.jpg

got them Egg temp set at 300 and put the chops on:
IMG_9188.jpg

IMG_9185.jpg

flipped them once:
IMG_9189.jpg

then pulled them off for a brief rest to open up the Egg for a searing temp (the Mini gets to searing temp really quick! - a little past where I was aiming for here):
IMG_9192.jpg

then seared them on each side and included the bone side (ala Moose):
IMG_9201.jpg

pulled them off when they ranged from medium (thinnest ones) to medium-rare:
IMG_9205.jpg

and plated with some green beans and rice*:
IMG_9212.jpg

*Lazy man's disclaimer - my wife normally handles the veggies and sides but was too busy. I had time to cook these but took the lazy man's way out and used canned green beans and leftover rice. :icon_blush: Good thing they're all fuzzy in the pic. I mentioned on the 2nd pic that I was lazy!

The lamb was delicious and something I need to cook more often!

Last edited:
John, those look absolutely mouth watering perfect!!! Nice job! :-D

John those be looking great! Maybe now you will become a Lamb guy. We love lamb at this house. Just wish it didn't cost so much.

Wow, that's some of the tastiest looking lamb I've seen! Beautifully done, and amazing pics.

Did you notice a difference by placing them bone side down at the end of the cook? I find it really helps...

Wow, that's some of the tastiest looking lamb I've seen! Beautifully done, and amazing pics.

Did you notice a difference by placing them bone side down at the end of the cook? I find it really helps...

Thanks Moose for the compliments and for sharing your past post!

As for placing them bone side down at the end, it makes sense to me but honestly the last time I grilled lamb loin chops (same recipe) was in May of last year and that's too far back for me to remember. I only know when because I still have the printout of the recipe that was dated and has a written note where I rated it "8 out of 10". This time, my wife & I would give it a 9 out of 10 so I wouldn't be suprised if your cooking method made the difference!

It was definitely tasty and I won't be waiting so long to cook them again!

Thanks everyone else for the compliments as well!

An ALF Tick of Approval!! Woohoo! :whoo:
I WILL Eat More LAMB! Actually I find myself craving it everytime you, Phrasty, Phubar, Moose, and the other ALF award recipients posts a lamb cook.

Thanks Bill!

Back