MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Default Just some ribs on the egg...

Haven't posted any cooks here for some time. No good reason - just lazy.

Nothing too fancy. Niece and nephew are in town and they love bbq, ribs are their favorite.

Spares from Costco. Rubbed and egged at 325ish, with a few chunks of mesquite. They were done a lot quicker than I expected - less than 2 hrs. FTC until dinnertime. Egg was still hot, so I sauced 1 rack with Blues Hog and another with Cattlemen's tangy gold sauce (given to me by a colleague). Saved 2 racks for later. The crowd loved em. I liked the Cattlemen's sauce. I usually think BH is too sweet by itself, and will cut it with BH Red, but today it was actually okay. Salad and mac n cheese for sides, but sorry - too hungry for pics

[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
BobM
Babbling Farker

Looks great!
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
el_matt
Babbling Farker

Nothing wrong with those.

Matt

Old 07-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
devious
is one Smokin' Farker

question for you. when cooking spare ribs in the egg is it best to use a rib rack?

Old 07-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by devious View Post
question for you. when cooking spare ribs in the egg is it best to use a rib rack?
Not at all. I had a full house and many mouths to feed, so I wanted to make all 4 racks at once. I can fit 4 racks by using 2 levels as well, but then I wonder whether the bottom racks cook quicker. With the rib stand/rack they all cook about the same time. Next time, I will try and cook 6 or 7 racks at once - by laying 2 or 3 racks on top of the curved part of the stand.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
koolskins
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I have the large BGE with two level grill from ceramic works (which I love). I actually think the top rack cooks a little hotter than the bottom, but either way, the problem is easily remedied if you rotate your meat from top to bottom once or twice during the cook.
randy....bge, but looking for a competition rig
koolskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
deepsouth
somebody shut me the fark up.

looks great. what's the deal with your top vent? i haven't seen one like that.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
loco_engr
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouth View Post
looks great. what's the deal with your top vent? i haven't seen one like that.
w/o checking . . . I believe it is @ www.eggware.net

Old 07-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
deepsouth
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco_engr View Post
w/o checking . . . I believe it is @ www.eggware.net

thanks for the link. that site is new to me.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #10
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Dig the ribs!

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #11
Tonybel
Babbling Farker

nice smoke ring and ribs look delicious