MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-23-2019, 06:25 PM   #1
Potatoe
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Alan
Default First try at brisket box input

I'm trying my first conpetition in August and this was my first try at the brisket box. I'm pretty happy with it for never doing one before but I'd like some criticism to help me improve the looks. . . I can see the first slice looks kinda sloppy with the liquid. . .what's some other defects please. . .thanks!

Potatoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 06-23-2019, 06:42 PM   #2
Rickddb
Got rid of the matchlight.

Overall looks good. I would thin you your au jus or sauce on the slices, looks thick and blotchy. Remember that burnt ends are not required for turn in and there is no criteria for the judges to go by but if you do turn them in make sure they are same size and are nails for tenderness otherwise they can bring your score down. They don't have to go in the box...
Rickddb is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-23-2019, 06:51 PM   #3
Potatoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickddb View Post
Overall looks good. I would thin you your au jus or sauce on the slices, looks thick and blotchy. Remember that burnt ends are not required for turn in and there is no criteria for the judges to go by but if you do turn them in make sure they are same size and are nails for tenderness otherwise they can bring your score down. They don't have to go in the box...
Thanks for the burnt ends tip. . .i didn't even think of that. And yeah that sauce/juice is an eyesore.. . .thanks!

Old 06-23-2019, 07:37 PM   #4
ronbrad62
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Ron

I wouldn't add any more than has already been said, but for a first time box, that looks pretty good.
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2019, 08:54 PM   #5
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

That looks good for a first time box. The slices look moist (and brisket is hard to photograph ) and are evenly placed, the BE's are consistent in size. The saucing on the slices is uneven and color is blotchy. I would score that a solid 7, and possibly an 8 in person.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2019, 10:45 PM   #6
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

This is nit-picky but... Some judges prefer the ends of the sliced flat to have some color, not looking like it was cut to size after being smoked. Others, it doesn't matter so much. A lot of people will cut their flat to size before smoking so that it fits well within the box and has all sides "cooked." Good luck in August.
West River BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2019, 11:28 PM   #7
rob g
Full Fledged Farker

Burnt ends don't have to go in the box but slices don't either. Taste both and only put your best meat in the box. We get boxes with only burnt ends come across the judging table and they do just as well as slices if they are done right. If either one is poor it will pull the score down.
rob g is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2019, 08:04 AM   #8
fwdiii
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

For a first time...looks really good! I agree with the others about the sauce and the BE!! Best of luck!!!
fwdiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2019, 11:16 AM   #9
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

pretty solid box for your first cook. Appearance wise, I would stick to what you are doing. Now work on nailing taste and tenderness and if the burnt ends aren't PERFECT, do not put them in.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:20 AM   #10
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by West River BBQ View Post
This is nit-picky but... Some judges prefer the ends of the sliced flat to have some color, not looking like it was cut to size after being smoked. Others, it doesn't matter so much. A lot of people will cut their flat to size before smoking so that it fits well within the box and has all sides "cooked." Good luck in August.
Any judge who scores a team down in appearance for squaring up brisket slices needs to be immediately banned from judging. Not everyone turns in box trimmed brisket slices. Many very good brisket cooks turn in slices that are squared up. Nailing someone in appearance for doing so is setting your own predetermined expectations and not judging within the rules.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:20 PM   #11
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by tduffy View Post
Any judge who scores a team down in appearance for squaring up brisket slices needs to be immediately banned from judging. Not everyone turns in box trimmed brisket slices. Many very good brisket cooks turn in slices that are squared up. Nailing someone in appearance for doing so is setting your own predetermined expectations and not judging within the rules.
And then there's the reality of how things happen.
West River BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2019, 03:01 PM   #12
Bob in Corona
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by West River BBQ View Post
And then there's the reality of how things happen.

I have a difficult time believing this practice is wide spread. If you could put it in some kind of prospective... how many times have you personally witnessed this practice ? As a percentage of the your contests judged, how many times have you personally witnessed this practice ?

Thanks...

Old 06-24-2019, 04:09 PM   #13
Chenernator
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tduffy View Post

Aside the from the direction to avoid judging the smoke ring because it can be artificially induced, there isn't a rule on this. Does a squared up slice look as good a complete slice? I don't think so. That being the case, it's going to impact appearance scores, either consciously or subconsciously.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:21 PM   #14
Potatoe

Thanks for all the great input. . .i knew that front piece was a little sloppy. . .i didn't know you could turn in all point meat though. .. .i thought I'd catch more au jus but the flat didn't give me much -it was a kinda dry flat. . .hopefully I get another brisket practice before the competition

Old 06-24-2019, 05:16 PM   #15
rob g
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoe View Post
. .i didn't know you could turn in all point meat though. ..
What you've done tends to be the norm but the only rule is it has to be brisket. You can slice, dice, pull or chop the meat.
rob g is offline   Reply With Quote