Freezing Raw Meat?

Pa_BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am going to Costco tomorrow and I always try and cook fresh but with my schedule, I can not cook big cuts of meats this week.

So what cuts of meats can be purchased cryovac or vacuum sealed and thawed and cooked up well.

I have a chest freezer and thinking of buying some meats when I can get to Costco and freezing them but do not want to lose taste or quality either.

A sealer is a worth while purchase Agree with the above on the freezing It just takes a few days to thaw properly in the fridge

Did anyone mention that all meats can be vacuum sealed and then frozen for an extended time? If not, you can. :mrgreen:

I have an aluminum half sheet pan in my freezer. I put meats on that or directly on the shelf (which is also the evaporator coils in this case) for the best heat transfer. I believe that freezing quickly may help preserve quality. It's also easier to vacuum seal frozen steaks and chops as the vacuum doesn't try to suck out the juices.
For anything that comes packaged in cryovac, I just leave it in the cryovac.

Thanks everyone, I have 2 vacuum sealers and get the best bags I can. I was just not sure if you lost any quality by freezing for 3-4 months. I have never had a problem with pork shoulders but never froze Ribeyes or Prime Briskets.

Also buy quality bags. Some of the lower cost "no brand" ones can loose the seal and you can still get freezer burn if it does. I've been buying the pre-cut bags from the Web Restaurant Store online. I usually buy 4 of each size to get the price break. Another plus of the good bags is you can reheat them in boiling water for pre-cooked food that is frozen in batches. Also great if you sous vide.

Ever since I bought a vacuum chamber I only buy whole primals and steak them out and freeze. Errrything freezes! And I don't know if I'm a believer in the "only freeze for x months". I just cooked a 2 year old tri-tip for a couple and they said it was the best steak they've had and I couldn't taste any off flavors. I've cooked a lot of things past a year in the freezer but they are all sealed with 4 or 5mil bags.

I just go plastic then foil and never had issues.

I think it you plan to use it relatively soon (less than a month) the cryovac should suffice. I use to buy half a cow at a time, and they would just use a vac sealer but they quick froze the product in a large commercial freezer. It was good for close to a year.

Anyone ever try liquid nitrogen for a quick freeze? :icon_smile_tongue:

Been told you can cook a steak from frozen without any problems,larger cuts can be cut down to decrease thaw time. Vacuum packed are great .

Back