• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

New Big Green Egg

spider22

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am very fortunate that I earned a new Large Big Green Egg. I was hoping to find out from some owners if you had to season it any special way or just start cooking on it the first time you light it up.

I believe they suggest that you first do a sub 300 degree cook in order for the gasket to settle. There are not supposed to be any factory oils that you need to burn off so you can throw food on right away. Many suggest a fatty as the perfect first cook.

I believe they suggest that you first do a sub 300 degree cook in order for the gasket to settle. There are not supposed to be any factory oils that you need to burn off so you can throw food on right away. Many suggest a fatty as the perfect first cook.

I see that it suggests the first couple cooks under 350. I am thinking wings for the first cook. Might be a couple weeks before I find time.

My first precook was at 225 for a few hours Then I did a Naked Fatty at 250 I like to use lump Build your fire well- large pieces on the bottom to promote airflow very important- on high heat cooks ie searing steaks make sure you lift the dome a crack before you open it- called burping otherwise the flame will shoot up and you will lose the hair on your arm You also want to bring it up to temp slowly because if ypu over shoot your target temp it takes a while to get it back down The ceramic grill store is a Great place for accessories You will love this cooker

My first precook was at 225 for a few hours Then I did a Naked Fatty at 250 I like to use lump Build your fire well- large pieces on the bottom to promote airflow very important- on high heat cooks ie searing steaks make sure you lift the dome a crack before you open it- called burping otherwise the flame will shoot up and you will lose the hair on your arm You also want to bring it up to temp slowly because if ypu over shoot your target temp it takes a while to get it back down The ceramic grill store is a Great place for accessories You will love this cooker

Thanks for your help. I believe they suggest you only use lump charcoal in the eggs.

In addition to curing the gasket, learning where to set the upper and lower vents is a good reason to do a cook or two without food. You want to bring up the temps slowly with any kamado because if you get it too hot, it takes a while to cool down. Be patient and allow 15-20 minutes to get the temperature stabilized before you tweak it from there. You will also find that it doesn't like to run much lower than about 260°. At that temp, the lower vent and daisy wheel on top will almost be shut. Opening the vents slightly from there can move the temps up fairly quickly. If possible, I prefer to leave the daisy wheel wide open and control my temps from the bottom vent but as I said, below about 275°, you will need to restrict air flow on top as well. You will get the hang of this quickly and you will love how flexible it is. With a full batch of good lump charcoal, you can smoke something for 12 hours one day and cook a pizza at 700° or higher on another.

I did a couple low and slow rib and butt cooks. No issues so far.

Always use lump, I start my charcoal on the side burner on my gasser. Then use my power blower or shop vac on blower setting to get it up to temp. Order yourself a platesetter or one of the adjustable "rigs" from Ceramic Grill store. The kick ash pan is nice too

I do a lot of cooking at 220-225 on my large BGE I also do salmon and have done Bacon @ 150* When I am lazy I use a Temp controller You can cook low and also really hot

Start with something cheap and easy. If something gets carried away you only ruined a cheap cut of meat. You might just fire up the egg and play around with the vents before cooking anything on it. The vents will be the biggest leaning curve. To keep things simple you can remove to the top daisy wheel and not even use it for cooks above 300 degrees. You can control the temp with just the lower vent. The only time I use the upper daisy wheel is for low and slow. This might take some of the headache out when learning temps

Last edited:
Forgive me if already mentioned

Go to YouTube and search grill backdraft- ceramic grill flashback etc

Congrats on the new BGE. You're going to love it. There's a bit of a learning curve with it, but it's not rocket science.

I washed the cook grate in soap and water before my first cook and that's all the prep I did. I kept my first few cooks below 350 and the gasket was fine. My original gasket lasted 3 years before I replaced it.

Grab a couple of packs of biscuit dough, the kind that comes in a tube. Arrange the biscuits evenly in your egg and cool according to directions. You will quickly learn where the hot and cool spots are in your egg.

Use that information to your advantage, move more done food to the cool spots and less done food to the hot spots. Pit the chicken thighs near the hot spots and the breasts toward the cool spots so they will get done at the same time.

Back