MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:02 PM   #1
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default WiredBBQ.com and the Banquet

Just curious as to the course of discussions that led the entire BOD to determine that allowing WiredBBQ.com to broadcast the banquet TOY awards and election results was a bad idea. I see no negative aspect to this and many people who will get the honor of walking to the stage I'm sure would love to be able to have had their families at home see them receive these honors. Maybe a board member will discuss.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Looks like the podcast is out there. It's a little late for me to start listening tonight but once I hear it I'll add a comment on the discussion. It's near the end so it may be painful.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
Jeff_in_KC

That's odd... I didn't see the podcast when I posted this...
KCBS Member #14287
Old 12-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #4
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

Jeff one word............ SHOCKER!!!!!!!!!!! I can not wait to see what they do next! They are so pathetic!
Just Pulin' Pork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:01 AM   #5
Candy Sue
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks to everyone who responded to my polls about webcasting the banquet. The issue arose that this was brought to the board for approval too late for more than one party to present a proposal to do it. It was voted down unanimously.

This is my statement and my statement only and does not reflect any other opinions at KCBS.
Candy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:05 AM   #6
White Dog BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sue View Post
Thanks to everyone who responded to my polls about webcasting the banquet. The issue arose that this was brought to the board for approval too late for more than one party to present a proposal to do it. It was voted down unanimously.

This is my statement and my statement only and does not reflect any other opinions at KCBS.

Was WiredBBQ.com proposing to charge for this?

1x 14.5" WSM
1x 18" WSM
1x Red Weber Performer
1x Blue Weber Performer
1x Weber 22.5" OneTouch Silver
1x Weber Genesis Silver B
White Dog BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:03 AM   #7
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Dog BBQ View Post
Was WiredBBQ.com proposing to charge for this?
Sounds like the BoD was expecting to be paid by WiredBBQ.com and didn't want them to set a precedence of a low market price without others putting in proposals.

At least that is what it sounds like to me.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
Jeff_in_KC

So they expected to be paid to get free publicity online? They expected to be paid so that my family and everyone else's families could see us get awards that we all worked hard for all year? That would be disappointing to hear that this really was the case, Rich. I hope you're wrong.

Begs the question... how is this decision in any way doing what's best for the TEAMS? That's why we need cooks on the board and not all reps!
KCBS Member #14287
Old 12-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #9
leanza
Babbling Farker

What BS!
I usually stay out of these conversations. But I was looking forward to the cast. I never hear anything positive coming from or about the BOD.
What BS!
Old 12-18-2010, 12:03 PM   #10
Gene01
Knows what a fatty is.

The board only felt that many people would not come to the event itself if they could stay home and watch it online, KCBS might be slitting the throat of it's own event. We would also not have time to put it out to others who may have a desire to film this event and it would be unfair to them (BBQ TV and others) who have also been long supporters of BBQ. There was no talk of charging money for the oppportunity to produce this either.

There board nothing against wiredbbq.com just the effect of not allowing all or disallowing all is the only fair way to do this, who knows, maybe next year with more notice, the board may reconsider.
Gene01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:32 PM   #11
Jeff_in_KC

Gene, last I heard, the banquet was nearly full. There is only room for 600 members in that room. There are over 14,000 members out there. I understand the thought but people don't come to the banquet just for the awards. If they were planning on going, it would be to have chances at the raffles for prizes and contests and to enjoy a weekend with friends. Seeing any of us getting awards would be way, WAY secondary.
KCBS Member #14287
Old 12-18-2010, 12:45 PM   #12
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

The proposal to web cast the meeting was on the table just days after the Jack

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 12-18-2010, 01:06 PM   #13
Jorge

Nobody else submitted a proposal, and it wouldn't be fair to allow the one group that took the initiative to broadcast?

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:43 PM   #14
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Maybe there were no other proposals, because there was not another group wanting to do it? If BBQ TV or others had wanted to do it, I would think they would have asked. Or, If KCBS were worried about equal time for folks that might want to broadcast... KCBS could have offered to open it to be broadcast by multiple organizaitons. In actuality it should help the event grow, not shrink.... folks that are unable to attend, could watch it, and get excited to come to the next one. I don't see how the conclusion could be made that it would cut the throat of the event. But obviously the board acted unanimously... so there had to be something driving it. oh well... Not the outcome I expected , but not surprised.

Thanks for the frank commentary Gene. I wholeheartedly disagree with the thought process, but appreciate you sharing it.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:43 PM   #15
leanza
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene01 View Post
the board only felt that many people would not come to the event itself if they could stay home and watch it online, kcbs might be slitting the throat of it's own event. We would also not have time to put it out to others who may have a desire to film this event and it would be unfair to them (bbq tv and others) who have also been long supporters of bbq. There was no talk of charging money for the oppportunity to produce this either.

There board nothing against wiredbbq.com just the effect of not allowing all or disallowing all is the only fair way to do this, who knows, maybe next year with more notice, the board may reconsider.
bs....