UDS with a tan lining...

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK Brothers and Sisters... I need your opinions...

1. If you were given a UDS and it had a tan lining in the drum that was still intact, what would you do (assume that giving it back is not an option). Also, assume that the person giving it to you did not build it (see below)

2. If that tan-lined UDS was built by someone who was selling UDS commercially, would you contact the builder and how would you handle that conversation?

I have reasons for asking. I recently won a UDS in a drawing and when I received it the drum had the tan lining in it.

i'd burn, blast, or wirewheel the lining out. as for the commercial part of the above questions, i might run it by them.

My homemade drum originally had a tan lining. It was a food grade drum that contained lecithin (used in producing ice cream cones). I burned it and wire wheeled it...took awhile, but it all came out.

I built mine from a food grade drum that had a tan lining in it.
After a 2 to 3 hour burning, and 2 to 3 hours with a wire wheel, i was able to get it all off. If i had to do it all over, i would of left it. Something that hard and resistant to bonfire temps in a food grade drum should be fine for smoke temps imho.

Paul

i'd burn, blast, or wirewheel the lining out. as for the commercial part of the above questions, i might run it by them.

I agree with headrush. May be the mfg is either unaware of the hazards of the lining or does not care. I have seen some barrel pits around here with the lining in them at a flea market.When i asked, the guy told me it kept the pit from rusting. I just walked away.

I'm with paul. If the lining withstood extreme temps that the drum would never reproduce in cooking, you would be ok. Mine had the red liners, and still stay intact.

I remember someone posting in detail (science stuff thats over my head) that the liner will withstand the low temps the UDS runs at without causing a problem. So maybe we go through all the trouble of taking that nice liner out for nothing.

I'd burn it out only because I don't know what the tan coating is. It may be a food grade barrel, but the lining may be something like the bad compounds used to line cans and make hard plastic bottles that, when heated, may give off even more bad stuff. The barrels I buy to build with are unlined so that makes it easy to use and you an see what you're getting.

bbq17.jpg

I would contact the builder and just ask what the tan lining is and why it is still inside the barrel. If he is selling these commercial he has had to get approval from somewhere or have documentation that states this lining is safe at the temps you will be using it at. No insurance company would want to take on the liability of that disaster waiting to happen.

I remember someone posting in detail (science stuff thats over my head) that the liner will withstand the low temps the UDS runs at without causing a problem. So maybe we go through all the trouble of taking that nice liner out for nothing.

i havent seen the post that you are referencing, but i do know that compounds can off gas some nasty crap long before any physical changes are noticable. i keep thinking back to that thread about the guy that damn near died from a little wisp of smoke from burnt brake cleaner. :confused:

I'm going to the Penalty box after my post I was wondering about Tan Lines on a UDS

I would gently approach the mfg and express my concerns. You could include that (assuming) you do not have any hard science to support your claim do they have anything to ally your concerns.

Remember MM was selling what looked like plain old galvanized trash can smokers when he was on Craig Ferguson's show

Thanks, guys... Burning it out is an option, but the guy did a nice job painting the outside and burning out the inside would most likely destroy his work. How about sand blasting? I've read that this would work and seems like a lot less effort than using a wire wheel on a drill.

As far as the commercial aspect, I seriously doubt hat he has gone for any kind of approval. He build them in his garage or workshop and then sells them. I think I should ask him about the lining and suggest that he investigate it further. I'd hate to see some one get sick from food cooked in one of these drums.

Commercial sandblasting will get it out. I have access to both an industrial furnace and sandblasting. I've built 12 UDS's so far and I've cooked and blasted each of them.
My biggest concern is if the lid is left off for an amount of time while you are cooking...whether intentional or not, what temp will the bottom of the drum reach and will it start "melting" the lining? That is one risk I would not take.

BTW...do you have any pron of your newest family member Ron? Inquiring minds want to see this baby :-D

Thanks, guys... Burning it out is an option, but the guy did a nice job painting the outside and burning out the inside would most likely destroy his work. How about sand blasting? I've read that this would work and seems like a lot less effort than using a wire wheel on a drill.

As far as the commercial aspect, I seriously doubt hat he has gone for any kind of approval. He build them in his garage or workshop and then sells them. I think I should ask him about the lining and suggest that he investigate it further. I'd hate to see some one get sick from food cooked in one of these drums.

Sand blasting should do the job, just more expensive than a burn out, but you won't ruin the outside paint job.

You could dig up some old threads that talk about the lining and email them to him. Let him know it's his liability if someone gets sick so you're just trying to look out for him. Also say that you have no choice but to burn the liner out even though it will destroy the nice paint but you have no other choice, its not worth getting sick over. If he's a stand up dude he will offer to repaint for you. What's a can of paint cost, $5?

My barrels also had the brown lining.
I burned my 2 drums out for a couple days before completing the builds.
I did wire wheel inside for a little bit, but I didn't try to ensure every last spec of that lining was off. I burned it at WELL over 500* for a long time - for 2 days. So hot that the rack I had at the bottom of the barrel buckled/warped from the heat. I'm surprised the barrels didn't warp.

Either way - give it a good HOT burn out, repaint it (if you need to) and get to cooking.

My barrels also had the brown lining.
I burned my 2 drums out for a couple days before completing the builds.
I did wire wheel inside for a little bit, but I didn't try to ensure every last spec of that lining was off. I burned it at WELL over 500* for a long time - for 2 days. So hot that the rack I had at the bottom of the barrel buckled/warped from the heat. I'm surprised the barrels didn't warp.

Either way - give it a good HOT burn out, repaint it (if you need to) and get to cooking.

I don't really have any place that i feel comfortable burning it out, especially for a couple of days. I'm concerned that a fire big enough to burn off the liner in the entire drum will damage either my asphalt driveway or our brick patio, which are the only two places that I would consider doing it.

I'll post some pics of it once I figure out the lining issue. The paint job isn't really fancy, but it looks better than a burnt drum :-D

Back