• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

*******restaurant depot credit/ debit cards hacked******

Sledneck

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I just received letter from restaurant depot that stated the credit/ debit card machines were hacked on cards used for purchases from September 21-November 18 2011

Is that the same as Cash & Carry? I used my card there in that time frame..

picture.php

Sled,

That explains it. Got a call from my Macy's AE, asking if I had tried to make a $770.00 purchase at Best Buy the previous day. It was refused, and the person fled. Seems they made a duplicate card, and tried a $1.25 purchase initally that went through. The $770.00 bounced. We killed the card and they issued me a new one. I had used that card at RD.

Gawd! Tell me that this isn't true! Is this just one store? How was it done? Is RD
notifying everyone?

Gawd! Tell me that this isn't true! Is this just one store? How was it done? Is RD
notifying everyone?

The letter I got was a general letter with my name and member number up top. I would scan it and post the PDF of it here but Steve jobs made sure I couldn't

Sled,

That explains it. Got a call from my Macy's AE, asking if I had tried to make a $770.00 purchase at Best Buy the previous day. It was refused, and the person fled. Seems they made a duplicate card, and tried a $1.25 purchase initally that went through. The $770.00 bounced. We killed the card and they issued me a new one. I had used that card at RD.

This is common practice with card companies now. I bought a gallon of milk once then went back to buy a gift card I had forgotten to pick up. All my cards were locked immediately (Visa and MC), and when I called in they said they were suspicious because of the small transaction 1st (what criminals usually do to test the card). When the bigger transaction was charged within a few moments, they denied the transaction.

Yup, I got the letter today too. I don't have any unusual activity on my card, but I'm definitely going to cancel it and get a new one issued tomorrow. What a pain in the a$$. :mad2:

One thing to understand about this situation is that Restaurant Depot will have no way to notify people that have shopped with a day pass/guest pass. There are a lot of Brethren that do not have their own membership at RD so they will not be notified. I am going to notify everyone at my company (except Sacco) in case they used a guest pass to shop. We need to spread the word because this is a potentially massive amount of identity theft.
FYI, the thieves had malware running in the RD system and were sending our credit card info to a server in Russia for about 2 months. Farkers!

Great I use my debit card there all the time and during those dates...thanks for the heads up as I have yet to receive the letter. It's time to go back to using cash only.

Damn.. that sucks...

On a positive note for me, I was not there during this time period... I was there last Saturday, a week after it supposedly stopped.

I got the call from VISA telling me they had to issue a new card. Unfortunately it can happen just about anywhere RD was just the target this time.

One thing to understand about this situation is that Restaurant Depot will have no way to notify people that have shopped with a day pass/guest pass. There are a lot of Brethren that do not have their own membership at RD so they will not be notified. I am going to notify everyone at my company (except Sacco) in case they used a guest pass to shop. We need to spread the word because this is a potentially massive amount of identity theft.
FYI, the thieves had malware running in the RD system and were sending our credit card info to a server in Russia for about 2 months. Farkers!

Unless it's changed with a guest pass you were only allowed to pay cash , no credit or debit

I was able to use my card everytime while using a guest pass, I was there the day after the time frame I am still going to watch my CC / Debit info....Thanks for the heads up Sledneck.

JUST opened the mail and received RD letter! UGH. This was while I was waiting for HSBC for over a frea$in HOUR"!!! For THEIR mistake and THEN I couldn't understand the customer service rep --- 'Sara' -- didn't realize there were many Sara's in Southern India.

Back