MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:03 AM   #31
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Eager to see when you get it.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2009, 04:04 AM   #32
Norcoredneck

Going for the Stainless?
Stainless Mega 3143-S
Same as the Mega BDS Model 3143, but made with 16 gauge 304 grade stainless steel. A gorgeous powerhouse. This is THE ULTIMATE BDS!!
$2,695.00

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2009, 06:51 AM   #33
jaronimo
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TysDad View Post
Taller is always better (6'7"). Anyway, what is that thing that looks like a gramaphone crank on your UDS? I'm guessing it's a jiggler... We need closeups and an explanation, please. -- or a pointer to the post number in the UDS thread.

Thanks!

That is the JJC™ I give it a few spins every so often and it keeps the ash from clogging up. It really works well, I turned a handle out of mahogony ans will attach it once it warms up enough to finish my paint job.

[SIZE=3][SIZE=2]Wood fired pizza oven,Copper Weber Gold, Green Weber Performer, Black Weber Silver, Green logo'd 18 inch Weber Gold, and a UDS of course.

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/SIZE] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][URL]http://cookinginmyyard.com/[/URL][/SIZE]
jaronimo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2009, 08:11 AM   #34
bmarley5780
On the road to being a farker

What about one of the fuel tank you see on the side of homes they look pretty stout...
bmarley5780 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2009, 08:23 AM   #35
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

We cook in a FEC and serve out of a Klose on location
Yea the Wow is part of the package
We booked a Wedding and the Guy is removing a fence so we can get the Klose in the backyard
Thats what WOW does for them
Pictures of the Klose will get us extra $$$ on the bid

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2009, 08:34 AM   #36
TysDad
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaronimo View Post
That is the JJC™ I give it a few spins every so often and it keeps the ash from clogging up. It really works well, I turned a handle out of mahogony ans will attach it once it warms up enough to finish my paint job.

OK, I'll bite. What's JJC mean???

Thanks for the clarification.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Stainless Pool Filter Drum, BarBChef offset, charcoal GOSM, a gasser and a weed burner.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Henckels Twin Cuisine knives, CDN ProAccurate fast thermometer, Maverick Dual Probe Wireless thermometer, and lots more cooking tools.[/FONT]

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well, and live."
TysDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2009, 08:54 AM   #37
jaronimo
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TysDad View Post
OK, I'll bite. What's JJC mean???

Thanks for the clarification.
Jaronimo Jiggly Crank™

[SIZE=3][SIZE=2]Wood fired pizza oven,Copper Weber Gold, Green Weber Performer, Black Weber Silver, Green logo'd 18 inch Weber Gold, and a UDS of course.

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/SIZE] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][URL]http://cookinginmyyard.com/[/URL][/SIZE]
jaronimo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2009, 09:11 AM   #38
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Regarding the question can I feed 200 out of a drum?; well, out of the Mega I am supposed to have a 20 butt capcity.
If you are going to spend the cash then get the ProQ 20XL and add all the stackers you like. Now things will be easy to load, refuel, monitor and etc etc etc.

and chisks dig it!

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2009, 09:28 AM   #39
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

I guess I don't appreciate the wow factor much - location, location, location. My neighbor has a tandem axle Klose - but within a .5 mile of my house are several other trailer pits and 4 large masonry pits (actually probably 6-8, since 2 locations have multiple pits). One set can cook chicken for about 3000, the others are a little smaller at about 1000 and maybe 500. (to be honest, the fire basket for one of the masory pits is the most impressive - I think it can make a cord of coals (maybe several at a time easily - the basket is about 8x8x6). One is private - but the others are constantly used by charities to do plates to go and cooking for weddings. Sometimes it seams like every weekend someone is offing plates to go.

To me, there is almost more "wow" in a drum - it is actually something different.

Curious, has anyone tryed racking their brisket? Likewise a square drum smoker could hang or rack a ton of meat. I was thinking about converting an old refrigerator using the draft technque of the uds - wanted to be able to smoke a hog worth of sausage at a time. I suspect a sealed refrigerator shell (with metal lining) and a BBQ guru would make one hell of a smoker.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2009, 09:38 AM   #40
bam
is One Chatty Farker

Its the cook not the cooker.
bam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2009, 09:40 AM   #41
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam View Post
Its the cook not the cooker.
It's the crowd, not the cook....

#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2009, 10:27 AM   #42
swamprb

I'm in the WOW camp, but I also love the drums-so I can't wait for pics of your Mega loaded to the gills!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2009, 10:42 AM   #43
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dweller View Post
WOW! The wow factor here is that I sure did not expect 28 responses in less than 12 hours, but I appreciate every one of them.

Regarding the question can I feed 200 out of a drum?; well, out of the Mega I am supposed to have a 20 butt capcity. I did a cook last week for 150; 16 Butts took my UDS and my WSM 2 loads each at 10 and 11 hours on two consecutive days to complete. My objective here is to purchase something that can do the same job or a bit more in one load, and the BDS, Mega, is supposed to. Now I am not giving up any of my other smokers, so I will still have plenty of weapons for sides, appetizers, etc.

And if I find in a couple of years that I need something still bigger, well, I should have made enough money off these other cooks to justify a Lang, Klose, Spicewine or something along those lines.

I think I'll get the BDS... Thx evry1 for their input!
Sounds like a plan...here are the specs...for everyone's curiosity...including mine!

Mega 3143The Mega BDS Model 3143 is the MACK DADDY of the BDS Family. This model is 31" diameter by 43" tall and weighs 130 pounds. Comes with 2 huge cooking racks, each with 7 inches clearance. Made with 16 gauge cold-rolled steel. Fits 20 large pork butts, 8 whole packer briskets or 24 whole chickens.
$975.00

JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2009, 11:39 AM   #44
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinadr View Post
I guess I don't appreciate the wow factor much -

To me, there is almost more "wow" in a drum - it is actually something different.

Curious, has anyone tryed racking their brisket? Likewise a square drum smoker could hang or rack a ton of meat. I was thinking about converting an old refrigerator using the draft technque of the uds - wanted to be able to smoke a hog worth of sausage at a time. I suspect a sealed refrigerator shell (with metal lining) and a BBQ guru would make one hell of a smoker.
The ProQ has that wow as you don't see them around plus it gas a built in holder to hang meat from. For900 bones I would go with the ProQ and some stackers.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2009, 12:00 PM   #45
frankenswine
Full Fledged Farker

I would have to go with the mega BDS. I have the jumbo and a standard and love them. I would have the mega too if I could talk the wife into it. Rocky did a test cook with 4 20lb shoulders on one rack, so it definately has the space.

La Caja China
Weber 22 1/2 Kettle
Kingfisher Kooker
frankenswine is offline   Reply With Quote