UDS vs BDS opinions please!

Desert Dweller

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hiya! I am looking for the opinions of my fellow Brethren. I have almost made up my mind, but I wanna seek your opinions anyway.

I am in need of a smoker large enough to handlle small (50) to medium (200) catering gigs. I am very happy with my UDS, and have been doing some research on a BDS, the largest size (Mega). The BDS will give me all the capacity I can forsee needing in the next few years. The size barrel it's made from is not available, 100 + gallon. The Mega is about $1,000 less than the other guys smoker available meeting a similar capacity, and the shipping charges are much, much less.

What would you do???:confused:

Based on everything you said, I would get the big BDS, no doubt.

I think I'd just build two more DrumPits and Save the Money....
Or you could always go Taller with your Present UDS and add more racks..

attachment.php

The Mega!! But take into account my biased opinion. :icon_wink

You think you can cook for 200 in a mega drum?

Taller is a great idea. But I am biased...
firstcoatofpaint.jpg

I bet once I find a domed lid I could fit a third rack in here.

A couple 85's are a LOT cheaper...

Attachments

• UDS Pic's 076.jpg
    UDS Pic's 076.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 245
100_4956.jpg

I would go with the BDS Mega. This is one of Rocky's Mega test cooks. I'm not certain, but this looks like 60 or 65 pounds of meat to me. This cooker is rated for 8 briskets or 20 butts. And conservatively, even if you mixed them up, I bet 3 or 4 briskets along with 7 or 8 butts would work just fine.

Make sure you call and talk to Rocky, it will be worth your time.

I would go with the BDS Mega. This is one of Rocky's Mega test cooks. I'm not certain, but this looks like 60 or 65 pounds of meat to me. This cooker is rated for 8 briskets or 20 butts. And conservatively, even if you mixed them up, I bet 3 or 4 briskets along with 7 or 8 butts would work just fine.
Yep, you got that lower cooking rack 7" under the top one. Fill that bad boy up and it may get in the neighborhood of feeding 200.

13 slabs on the top cooking rack and room for 2-3 more on this rack -- another of Rocky's test cooks.

100_5485.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also add a second shelf to a couple more UDS's and save a bundle of $. Your call...:p

Yeah for what you need to do, go with the mega. It's a sure shot. It costs more money but worth it. Plus, the UDS's are based off of it. Get the real deal.

Taller is a great idea. But I am biased...
firstcoatofpaint.jpg

I bet once I find a domed lid I could fit a third rack in here.

Taller is always better (6'7"). Anyway, what is that thing that looks like a gramaphone crank on your UDS? I'm guessing it's a jiggler... We need closeups and an explanation, please. -- or a pointer to the post number in the UDS thread.

Thanks!

Get a Lang!!

You say you are going to use this for Catering, have you considered the "Wow" factor if you are going to do on-site catering ? What I mean is, you show up to do a gig and you have a few drums, that might not sit well with some. On the other hand you show up with an offset that elicts a "WOW"

Now to get back on topic, if you have the skills I say go for the UDS, if not buy the BDS. I have cooked on both and they are both good weapons.

Not sure what the 110 gallon drum costs, but if you could figure out a lid like mine. You could get three 30" diameter racks on that bad boy. Put a nice paint job on it and you will get the WOW factor that SpyderMike talks of.

Attachments

• DSC03057.jpg
    DSC03057.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 163
Bo, I make and sell three sizes 55-85- 110 gal. here in SW Mo. The only builder that has firebrick lining as standard issue.My intake system is different than most. I have been told my prices are most fair. PM me for more details if interested. Thanks Steve.

Not sure what the 110 gallon drum costs, but if you could figure out a lid like mine. You could get three 30" diameter racks on that bad boy. Put a nice paint job on it and you will get the WOW factor that SpyderMike talks of.

Just to clarify, I did not mean to talk down the UDS or the BDS, I hope it did not sound that way. They are both really good cookers.

We have a couple of old schools BDS Cookers
They are well made........ Heck Kyle prefers using them

Back