• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Contest Announcment Holy Smokes Bandfest and BBQ, Long Island, NY - Aug 28 & 29, 2009

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Holy Smokes Bandfest and BBQ

Aug 28th - Arrival
Aug 29th - Contest

Held on the grounds of Sts. Cyril and Methodius Church on Deer Park Avenue, Deer Park, NY.

State Championship pending.

Ribs, Pork, Brisket

Charity event for local food pantries. Run by Girl Scouts. Low, low entry.

http://members.webs.com/MembersB/Ed...=39cdd34de200ad4f1226c18182c&pageID=127977325

Turn the volume down on your computer. Music on every page of website.

I will be assisting with the event. Feel free to pm or email me with questions and I will do my best to get answers for you.

Your support would mean a lot to the girls running the event. It's for a great cause and your investment (time and $) would be considerably less than most events.

I will try to have a definite announcement about the proclamation Monday.

No chicken?

Sounds fun but I know many of the local teams will be in New Holland, PA that weekend. Any way to do it in September?

No chicken and the date is set in stone.
I realize that it conflicts with New Holland, but thems the breaks.

It will certainly be nice to have another NY State Championship that is close by.

Eric

Hey eric - .. I noticed that originality is a criteria, not appearance...

I like it !!! Did you come up with that one ? pretty cool.

Vinny - No, I wasn't involved with deciding criteria. I'm offering advice when asked, but this is being run by High School Girl Scouts.

Eric

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm am I the only one being asked for a username and password when I click on the link?

Eric,

Could have them fix their website so we are not asked for a password we do not have. Thanks buddy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll put in a phone call to them now, but I wouldn't expect a response until tomorrow at the earliest.

I'll ask them to email me the forms and until they get the site fixed I'll email them to anyone interested. I'll post when I have them.

Eric

**EDIT**

I just went to the site and didn't have a problem. I have no idea what is causing the difficulties. I'm using Firefox, maybe it's a problem in IE? Either way, I let them know.

If you go here:
http://rockhunger.webs.com/barbecuesignup.htm

and click on the links it should take you to another page with just text that I guess you need to cut and paste into Word so you can fill it out and mail it in. I'm going to post the text here to make life easier for everyone:

[FONT=&quot]Official Entry Form[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Holy Smokes Barbecue Competition[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Team Name: ___________________________________________________[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Head Cook: ____________________________________________________[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Address: _______________________________________________________[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]City: ________________________State: _______________Zip: _________[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Phone: ______________________ Email: ___________________________[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Number of Team Members: __________________________________[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Entry Fees (circle each):[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]BBQ Contest: $ 75.00 plus a case of nonperishable food to be brought to the event for a 20x20 space[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Premium Site Fee 20x30 (limited number of sites) $ 50[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Total Amount Enclosed $_____________

Form 2

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Waiver of Liability: Holy Smokes 2009[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In consideration of accepting this entry, (I), the undersigned, intending to be legally bound, hereby for myself, heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release all rights and claims for damages I may have against the Holy Smokes competition, Girl Scouts of Suffolk County, Saints Cyril And Methodius church, their representatives, successors, and assignees, forany and all injuries suffered by me and my team in this event. Further, I hereby grant full permission to use any photographs, videotapes, motion pictures, recordings and any other record of this event for any legitimate purpose.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]By signing this waiver I acknowledge that I have read and agree to abide by the competition rules of Holy Smokes! [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]___________________________________[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Name (printed)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]___________________________________ ____________________________[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Signature Date[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]___________________________________[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Team Name[/FONT]

The mailing instructions state (I'm not too sure about the cash thing):

Please print out the following two forms, fill them out and send them with your entrance fee (IN CASH OR BY MONEY ORDER) to Rock Hunger Barbecue Moderator, 116 Kime Ave, North Babylon, NY 11703.

Last edited:
[FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif]**At this time we are unable to provide our competitors with water or electricity. we apologize [/FONT]for the inconvenience.

Hey Eric, I just read this in the rules. I understand the electric part but how do we get water to fill and refill the washing stations.

I believe that the section about water was a mistake. I will verify that today or tomorrow.

I said that I would follow up about the proclamation today. I will have definitive word next Monday, but it seems like there will not be a problem. Again, this isn't written in stone, but I had an extensive conversation with the people at the Proclamation Office.

Eric

PRIZES

There will be continual updates on prizes, but it looks like they will be starting with a personalized 6' banner for Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion.

More on the way.

I believe that they have a meeting with the Church Deacon on Monday. I will try to post Monday evening. If I hear anything before that, I'll let everyone know.

Eric

As promised, here is an update:

1) Water WILL be available. As is normal, competitors need to bring a hose and a 'Y' connector.

2) According to the Proclamation Office, there WILL be a Governors Proclamation for the event.

Again, this event is being held to raise foodstuffs for those in need. It's a great cause and I look forward to seeing you all there.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to get you some answers.

Eric

Hi,

I replied to Wes' pm. I've been out of town for a few days, sorry for the delay.

Please let me know if you have any questions or you can email the organizers directly at:

rock.hunger@live.net

Eric

Anyone signing up for this? want to do this, just wonder who else will.

Greg will likely be working. I may be out of state, but won't know for another week or so. If I'm here I'll probably go by but don't know if I'm ready to set up, cook and break down alone. However if you guys compete and need an extra set of hands I'd be glad to help you out.

Back