First shot at Buckboard Bacon - Part 1

SpammyQ

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I decided to have a go at making some BBB. Had a nice 8.5lb pork butt and pulled it out to thaw. I went with the High Mountain because so many here seem to really like it. The package contains enough cure to do 25 lbs, in 3 packages or just enough for 1 butt per pack.

Here is the cure and butt, ready for action.
100_1469.jpg
First I had to bone the butt (I just like the way that sounds, but this isn't woodpile)
Removing the bone:
100_1471.jpg
and fully removed, it was not too difficult, just had to take it easy on the side toward the fat cap and go slow.
100_1472.jpg
Once it was boned, time to trim her up, removing as much fat as I could, along with the "flap" created by deboning the butt.
100_1473.jpg
Applying the cure, making sure to rub it evenly all over, paying special attention to the ends, sides and where I removed the bone.
100_1474.jpg
Cure fully applied - it's already starting to work..
100_1475.jpg
and bagged for the fridge. It will stay there for the next 10 days, with a flip on day 5. I will continue this thread when I pull it from the fridge and smoke it.
100_1477.jpg
Jim

I gotta get the time to make some more of that stuff!!

You are right on the ball with that, they have good instructions for prep don't they? If I were you, I would flip every other day, it tends to help the cure stay even.

You are right on the ball with that, they have good instructions for prep don't they? If I were you, I would flip every other day, it tends to help the cure stay even.

Thanks for the tip Thirdeye. I will do that.

I just picked up a package of that cure at the Hardware Store in Old Forge, NY. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

I just received my cure from Hi Mountain. Now I'm sitting here with a slide rule trying to figure out on what date will the temperature outside 10 days hence be above zero. Let's see, there's two pints in a quart. Do you double the square root. That damned decimal point . . . . .

Back