Competition Team Names

swamprb

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Is there a registry for Competition Team Names? I'd hate to put a lot of thought into a name for a team, have banners or logos only to go and find out that someone else has already been there and done that! Has this happened to anyone here? Just wondering.

Just remember that that database is not "official"... Unless your name is trademarked etc. by law, it's anything goes..

Still, I agree, you really don't want the same team name that someone else has, so that database is a good reference, but just know that not all team names are on there..

Just remember that that database is not "official"... Unless your name is trademarked etc. by law, it's anything goes..

Still, I agree, you really don't want the same team name that someone else has, so that database is a good reference, but just know that not all team names are on there..
and if your team name is LLC
buy law it is yours to

like our name beam boys bbq llc
there is an beam boys meat company out there so the lawers had to contack them since it was close and get there permition for my name to become witch they gave it to me

york

I am averse to paying $10 first, then $5 a year to list my team name in a database that offers no protection against someone else using it anyway. it's just a list of names, that's it, so my team name isn't in it.

The good thing about that site is you can at least see if there is anyone else out there that has your team name. Especially if they live close to you.

The good thing about that site is you can at least see if there is anyone else out there that has your team name. Especially if they live close to you.

Then I'd rather, while doing research on my own name, pay a fee to do a search. For a team to have to pay to list their name, while it has no bearing at all on use, I just don't get it, I guess.

I could do a search, find a name, and still use that name if I wanted to.

Then I'd rather, while doing research on my own name, pay a fee to do a search. For a team to have to pay to list their name, while it has no bearing at all on use, I just don't get it, I guess.

I could do a search, find a name, and still use that name if I wanted to.

Yeah, that's the only thing that sucks. It isn't a so called "legal" name even if it's listen in the database. Supposedly the bbqteamnames database will send out a letter and delete the name if someone already has it and another person tries to register, but again, there's nothing keeping anyone from using anyone elses name unless you have it trademarked or registered somehow.

Honestly, it seems like just a way to make some cash on keeping a very simple database. They say they have over 3000 names. Even if all of them are old names, that's about $15,000 this year for keeping a database up. Quite a deal for the person running the database. I need to come up with something that takes all of 10 minutes a week to maintain and yields that much per year! That's over $1700/hour!

KCBS should step up and provide this for free on their website. Now there's something more than a Bullsheet for my $35 a year. Merl - You listening?

Edited: Nevermind.

Last edited:
KCBS should step up and provide this for free on their website. Now there's something more than a Bullsheet for my $35 a year. Merl - You listening?

Edited: Nevermind.

i am with plow boy on this we should all e mail them and get there atenchen on this supject

york

I am averse to paying $10 first, then $5 a year to list my team name in a database that offers no protection against someone else using it anyway. it's just a list of names, that's it, so my team name isn't in it.

That was kind of my feeling too, I checked to see if anyone had our name. When I saw they did not, we went with it. But who knows, it might be used somewhere else...just did not seem like it was worth the money. I could see paying the $10 to list it, but the $5 a year made no sense to me!

Even with "just" $10 to initially list a name... That's over $30,000 for building a simple database with web access. Still quite a money maker for something that costs a fraction of that, and really provides very little service.

I have been called Scotty D all my life as of my name is Scott and so on, so my team name just fell in to place. Scotty d's BBQ, but this year I did a Goggle search and found a guy out there in Minnesota that even has rub marketed under the Scotty D Name so I just added our tag Fraze of built for bbq. He is not upset I don't think. I talked to him once. his name is scott to and his last name starts with a D also so who is right. We are about the same age. so who did what first, big deal I made some changes moved on.

It is frustrating because everyone knows me by Scotty d. that wont change. just added the tag line. by the way the other guy competes once in a while also. so confusion. I have seen it now I know why. Crazy.

Back