MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-20-2006, 11:37 AM   #1
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Cooking Class

I hope this is the right place to post this.

I met with the owner and class organizer from a local cooking equipment store. They do a lot of cooking classes, mostly using local chefs as instructors. My wife bought me a knife there last month and the class organizer found out I barbecue and compete, and asked if I'd be interested in doing a class.

So in September, the guy I cook with and I will be teaching a 3 hour class on barbecue and tailgating! It's going to be fun, I think. It's not a Dr. BBQ level thing, and I'm not claiming to be a champion or anything, but the store is excited to be able to offer bbq, as most of the chefs seem to not know how to do it.

My menu is going to be ribs, pulled pork, cole slaw, baked beans, fatties/armadillo eggs and ABT's... all good tailgating stuff. We'll set up our smoker and an EZup to show basically a comp set up, and have Ohio State stuff all over it (Go Bucks!). We're also going to do a brisket and some chicken to show the meats used in competition. Of course, we'll do all the cooking ahead of time, except maybe the ABT's, but we'll go over how to make the dishes with the class... They hold up to 24, and they think it will fill up quickly.

I'm really looking forward to it... if anyone's done this kind of class, any tips on logistics that might not be apparent? We're cooking everything overnight to have it off by 2 hours before the class, then we'll haul everything over and set it up... during the class, we'll show them the smoker and how to start it up, etc... talk about woods, that sort of thing, and we're hoping to have a Traeger from a local hardware store, too, to help cross-promote.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2006, 12:07 PM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Good luck! Sounds like a great opportunity.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2006, 12:13 PM   #3
spicewine
Babbling Farker

Go for it!!! That's a big part of being a Brethren, teaching what you know and promoting the art of BBQ.

Spice

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009 & 2017

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2006, 12:28 PM   #4
cmcadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicewine
Go for it!!! That's a big part of being a Brethren, teaching what you know and promoting the art of BBQ.

Spice
My wife reminded me that part of the CBJ oath had something about promoting BBQ, too... And it's fun to see people catch on and enjoy the hobby.

Livefire Whisky

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)

Old 06-20-2006, 12:52 PM   #5
Pigs on The Run
Full Fledged Farker

Hi
I have given lectures and private bbq classes. If you need any help let me know.
John
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcadams
I hope this is the right place to post this.

I met with the owner and class organizer from a local cooking equipment store. They do a lot of cooking classes, mostly using local chefs as instructors. My wife bought me a knife there last month and the class organizer found out I barbecue and compete, and asked if I'd be interested in doing a class.

So in September, the guy I cook with and I will be teaching a 3 hour class on barbecue and tailgating! It's going to be fun, I think. It's not a Dr. BBQ level thing, and I'm not claiming to be a champion or anything, but the store is excited to be able to offer bbq, as most of the chefs seem to not know how to do it.

My menu is going to be ribs, pulled pork, cole slaw, baked beans, fatties/armadillo eggs and ABT's... all good tailgating stuff. We'll set up our smoker and an EZup to show basically a comp set up, and have Ohio State stuff all over it (Go Bucks!). We're also going to do a brisket and some chicken to show the meats used in competition. Of course, we'll do all the cooking ahead of time, except maybe the ABT's, but we'll go over how to make the dishes with the class... They hold up to 24, and they think it will fill up quickly.

I'm really looking forward to it... if anyone's done this kind of class, any tips on logistics that might not be apparent? We're cooking everything overnight to have it off by 2 hours before the class, then we'll haul everything over and set it up... during the class, we'll show them the smoker and how to start it up, etc... talk about woods, that sort of thing, and we're hoping to have a Traeger from a local hardware store, too, to help cross-promote.
Pigs on The Run is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2006, 01:26 PM   #6
CharlieBeasley
is one Smokin' Farker

Sounds Like fun and as I have been traveling over the last two Months to Dayton Maybe I can time a trip. (I think you are close to Dayton?)
Anyway good luck and have fun.
CharlieBeasley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2006, 01:31 PM   #7
cmcadams

John, as we get closer, I'll definitely ping you for some advice! Thanks!

Charlie, we're just south of Dayton, and the class will be in Springboro... September 18th. (sorry that you have to travel to Dayton, though!)

if you haven't been to El Meson on one of your trips, try to go next time... Not bbq, but great food.

Livefire Whisky

Old 06-20-2006, 03:27 PM   #8
wnkt
is One Chatty Farker

I wouldnt mind attending myself...but its a tad long a drive for me

Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood
--saying in a fortune cookie--
wnkt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2006, 04:12 PM   #9
BrooklynQ
Banned

Sounds great. Have a good time with it - remember the most impoprtant aspect of BBQ is fun. Make sure the students know that!
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2006, 07:13 PM   #10
Sawdustguy

Sounds like fun. Best of luck.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2006, 08:46 PM   #11
BBQ_MAFIA
somebody shut me the fark up.

Have a great time. It sounds like its going to be great.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2006, 06:17 AM   #12
CharlieBeasley
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcadams
John, as we get closer, I'll definitely ping you for some advice! Thanks!

Charlie, we're just south of Dayton, and the class will be in Springboro... September 18th. (sorry that you have to travel to Dayton, though!)

if you haven't been to El Meson on one of your trips, try to go next time... Not bbq, but great food.
I have driven two hours out of my way to eat at El Meson's You are 100% correct try Thursday night Paella (SP Rice Dish) there mixed meat and fish platters are great as well. Thanks

I think I am through for a short time but it should kick back up in Aug. if so I'll let you know and maybe we can get together for a beer or SweetTea.

And how is the smoker coming?
CharlieBeasley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2006, 06:29 AM   #13
cmcadams

Let me know when you're back this way, definitely.

I'm hoping the smoker is being finished by Friday; I think the last bit is to put the air intakes in. We're making so it can be fitted later with a Stoker. We're going to paint it dk red, I think. I'm away for the next 2 weekends, so I need to cook on it a couple of times this weekend, then hand it over to my teammate while I'm gone so we can be ready for Grand Rapids in July.

Livefire Whisky

Old 06-21-2006, 08:19 AM   #14
djmarko
Full Fledged Farker

Sounds like a great opportunity. Enjoy.

Old 06-21-2006, 09:19 AM   #15
stan
is one Smokin' Farker

Sounds like a fun time! Good luck. Make sure you take photos and post after the class.
County Line Smokers Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Member - CBJ #20654
Pitmaker BBQ Vault mounted in a 12 Foot Competition Trailer
22 1/2 Weber Kettle, Stainless Steel gaser
chunks of wild cherry, pecan, oak
stan is offline   Reply With Quote