Chicken for 125 people........cuts or whole?

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
So I donated my BBQ services as a fund raiser auction item this spring at my kid's school.
The services have already been paid for by the purchaser to the school.
The deal was: YOU buy the groceries and I'll supply the cooker(s) and ability.

I'm trying to work out the details (cook is happening late May) and they need food for 250 people total and want pulled pork and chicken.

I've got the PP covered. Just have a question about chicken....

I usually do my chickens whole, but I only do 2-4 at a time. If they are wanting chicken for, let's say, 100-150 people I'm just wondering if I should mess with cooking whole birds and then have to carve them all up or just buy parts and smoke them.

ALSO....I've always assumed "BBQ", and PERONALLY I prefer smoked chicken....but should I think about indirect grilling?

I'm pretty good at carving up whole chickens....but I'm assuming I'm talking about 20-30 chickens.....could end up being a LOT of work. I ALSO want to give out a high quality product.

ALSO......how many people do you figure on a whole chicken.....6? 8?

Thanks for any advice from all you EXERIENCED caterers/vendors.

8 piece cut.

When I figure two meat menus I go with 5 people per bird. If you have alot of kids, you might could go 6 per bird. 42-50 chickens...8 piece cut.

Lightly smoke 'em around 325.

OK.....first....THANKS.

2nd...when you say 8-pc cut, you mean I should just get wholes and part them out? Or should I just buy the parts? OR should I cook em whole and then carve 'em into 8 pieces?

I'm just thinking that I'd get a more moist, better product if I cooked 'em whole, but then I don't usually grill chicken parts (other than boneless, skinless breasts) anymore.

And by 8-pc, I assume you DON'T slice your breasts? Keep 'em whole?
I was thinking that made sense.

I was on a catering crew many moons ago, we did bbq. We always did pieces 'cause doing whole chix and cutting them would be too time consuming, both in respect to cutting and cooking. You can smoke ahead of time & heat & sauce (if you sauce) on a grill right before serving. If I remember correctly this is how we did it. Good luck!

8 piece cut purchased that way. You can cut if you want (before cooking), I won't argue with you. I certainly would not cut after cooking. Too time consuming and people want to eat.

If you're doing a school function where 1/2 the participants will be kids, I would not do 1/4s. Too much wasted food. Not to mention small pieces are easier for kids to handle.

Actually, it was purchased (the cooking for the event) to support a school fundraiser, but the event itself is a highschool graduation party, so I don't know if there'll be a LOT of kids there or not, but I'll try and find out.

Can you get quarters both dark and white meat?

I think I'm gonna give my local butcher a call and see what he can get me.

I do agree that it sure seems like a lot of work to carve up either before or after the cook.

I do agree that it sure seems like a lot of work to carve up either before or after the cook.

I agree with that. That's why I suggest the 8-piece cut. Plus you can stretch it more than with larger pieces.

If you intend on every chicken eater getting two pieces, then I'd definitely do quarters...cheaper and better presentation.

For the amount of people you have go to restaurant depot or other food distributor and get the 40lb cases of boneless leg meat (should be around $54 for 40lb case) soak in mojo grillo orange marinade direct grill and season with rub of choice. You will probably need about a case and a half of chicken (60lb) We do it all the time people love it

best of luck
Bill

Back