MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:24 PM   #6226
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat_bastard View Post
How long are you talking about here? There are guys in this thread that have done 16 hour cooks without adding fuel. Fuel mileage is one of the benefits of the UDS
ditto. We ran about 18 hours this weekend at a competition without adding any fuel and plenty left. Did brisket and butts overnight and then followed that up with ribs. The only thing I see a door doing is making air flow a problem.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2010, 03:28 PM   #6227
shdybrady
On the road to being a farker

even if you do have to mess with the coals. Is it going to be that bad to lift the grate out to do it? I have the weber grill from home depot with the handles and it seems like it would be less time to do that then it is to foil a butt.
shdybrady is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2010, 03:44 PM   #6228
sjm845
Got Wood.

Default Lock ring

Sammy...I use the locking ring to seal the drum up a bit better. The lid is a webber kettle which was too small so I flattened it out with a rubber mallet. It's still not perfect and there are some gaps. Using the lock ring that came with the drum stops exhaust from leaking out. It probably means nothing to the cook but watching that smoke come out the top was driving me nuts. Plus, the clamp adds to the UDS mystique a bit I think!
SLOATSBURG, NY
[URL="http://tellyouwhatbbq.com"]TELLYOUWHATBBQ.COM[/URL]
[URL="http://facebook.com/tellyouwhatbbq"]facebook.com/tellyouwhatbbq[/URL]
Twitter: [URL="http://twitter.com/tellyouwhatbbq"]@tellyouwhatbbq[/URL]
RUB IT...SMOKE IT...PULL IT!
sjm845 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #6229
sjm845
Got Wood.

"Please re-assure me that this will work..... while I was in the barrel, I was really thinking that writing a check for an electric smoker would make a bunch more sense!!!"

Here's the proof...these are left over coals from a rib comp 2 weeks ago. Put in about 7-8lbs. Cooking sausage today...needle hasn't moved in about 3 hours.
P1030663.jpg

Sammy...here's the clamp I was talking about.
P1030664.jpg
SLOATSBURG, NY
[URL="http://tellyouwhatbbq.com"]TELLYOUWHATBBQ.COM[/URL]
[URL="http://facebook.com/tellyouwhatbbq"]facebook.com/tellyouwhatbbq[/URL]
Twitter: [URL="http://twitter.com/tellyouwhatbbq"]@tellyouwhatbbq[/URL]
RUB IT...SMOKE IT...PULL IT!
sjm845 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2010, 04:00 PM   #6230
spott77
Got rid of the matchlight.

My temps are all over the place but this is the first time i've fired her up. I let it get too hot on the ramp up and then took the top off. Temps have been high ever since but they are consistently high. I think i may have too much draft coming from my weber lid that isn't exactly sitting on there very tight. All the vents are closed and its still cruising at around 333 in the middle of the grate. The outside is runing in the 280's. I think i just too much charcoal fired when I opened the lid.
spott77 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #6231
cliffordsimmons
Found some matches.

Would the grinder be faster then the wheel brush???

Cliff
cliffordsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #6232
shdybrady

Mine doesnt have a liner but I was wondering is after you do your burn out, could you pressure wash it?

Old 06-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #6233
BlkJeep
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spott77 View Post
My temps are all over the place but this is the first time i've fired her up. I let it get too hot on the ramp up and then took the top off. Temps have been high ever since but they are consistently high. I think i may have too much draft coming from my weber lid that isn't exactly sitting on there very tight. All the vents are closed and its still cruising at around 333 in the middle of the grate. The outside is runing in the 280's. I think i just too much charcoal fired when I opened the lid.
These things take forever to cool down even with everything closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffordsimmons View Post

Cliff
Fast but wear ear plugs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shdybrady View Post
Mine doesnt have a liner but I was wondering is after you do your burn out, could you pressure wash it?
A burn will help with the outside paint if you are going to paint it? I think about 100 pages back someone said washing them out hot water and simple green? Something like that...

Old 06-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #6234
shdybrady

no I was talking about the inner liner. Not really asking for me. More for people in the future

Old 06-27-2010, 09:31 PM   #6235
pahutchens
is one Smokin' Farker

Got my drum flying this weekend. A few tweaks need to be made as the weber lid is leaking a little around the edges. The first fire never went out. So I dumped more coals on it and started todays cook. Should have taken the hot coals out and put on top. Had a hard time with temp management with them burning up from the bottom
#5 Kamado refurbished 'the Copper top'
[COLOR="navy"]Blue 'like my Smoke' Thermapen[/COLOR]
IMBAS certified MOINK! baller, KCBS MCBJ & CTC
pahutchens is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2010, 09:44 PM   #6236
spott77
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahutchens View Post
Got my drum flying this weekend. A few tweaks need to be made as the weber lid is leaking a little around the edges. The first fire never went out. So I dumped more coals on it and started todays cook. Should have taken the hot coals out and put on top. Had a hard time with temp management with them burning up from the bottom
Temp management is my problem too I think my weber lid is really letting air in and creating way too much draft. I wanted to see just how long it would run so i filled it with 15lb of Stubbs. Put about 8 lit briqs in the middle of the basket with one cap off and the valve all the way open it climbed much faster than i thought it would. When i went to check in 20 min it was @ 288 and climbing. I damped everything down and ended up with about half open valve and all caps on to keep it around 290 but it never came down from there. When i lifted the lid that is when the problems started it shot up to around 350 and basically never came back down. It ran @ 350 for about 10 hours with all the vents closed and now its down to 275-300 and still chugging the only thing i can figure is the lid is letting too much air in because its not really sealed on the top.
spott77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #6237
TalonBrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffordsimmons View Post

Cliff
Cliff,

On mine, I used three things. One was a disk that I had from removing the expoxy from the garage floor before I re-painted it. It was very aggresive and would cut right through the lining. But it broke apart and I didn't have a preplacement. Next was a sanding disk for angle grinders. It's like a flap wheel, but with the sandpaper overlapping each other a bit. That worked pretty well and did not scuff up the steel as much, but it took longer. Finally, there are those "paint removing" disks that look like coarse sponges. I hit that a bit at the end to smooth everything out and take the little bit of rust that developed out. But that would not take out the paint by itself. The wire brush was totally useless on this stuff. It did not even chip the lining.

I had on ear plugs and ear muffs over them. plus a dust mask (four of them), eye protection and gloves. Oh yeah.. a tshirt that you can throw away. You need all of that.

Good luck. The upshot is that the inside of mine looks GREAT now!
TalonBrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2010, 08:25 AM   #6238
McGurk
Full Fledged Farker

Hey Guys, check it out! Even Bret Farve built a UDS!!! Watch that ankle, Bret!

Old 06-28-2010, 08:37 AM   #6239
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGurk View Post
Hey Guys, check it out! Even Bret Farve built a UDS!!! Watch that ankle, Bret!

It's Favre, not Farve. Any true vikings fan would no that.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:48 AM   #6240
McGurk
Full Fledged Farker

Well, count me out as a true Vikings fan, then. Can you honestly say Bret is a true Vikes fan himself? He hasn't said yet...

The only way I can remember how it's spelled is from "There's Something about Mary.":

"Bret Faavvvvrrrruh?"

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker