MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Cattle Call !!!

Notices

Cattle Call !!! Introducing... The Brethren.. Put your Bios here, a mug shot, a picture of your toys..Tell us who u are. Threads will lock down after 7-10 days to avoid post pumps on old introductions. Please avoid responding after thread is over a week old. DO NOT PITCH ANY PRODUCTS IN THIS FORUM, OR TRY TO VEIL A PITCH AS AN INTRODUCTION. IF YOUR SELLING IT, DON'T MENTION IT.

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 12:40 AM   #1
sixdoubleo
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : sixdoubleo
Default Hello from Sacramento, CA

Been lurking for a bit, absorbing all the excellent information here and just thought I'd go ahead and add myself here.

My name is Dave, 39 years old and live in Sacramento, CA. I'm definitely a novice on the BBQ, but the more I do it, the more hooked I become.

What you are about to hear may sadden many of you...in fact it might down-right piss you off. I share it only to demonstrate where I had to go to get where I am.

The first grill I got was back in the mid 90's. I had just bought my house and my Mom thought it'd be good for me to have a BBQ. She picked it up at a garage sale for $20. It was an old two-tone brown Weber 22" Kettle. I never used it. It sat in my backyard rotting, 4 foot weeds growing up out of it. I stole the charcoal grate out of it and used it for my outdoor fireplace.

Even if I wanted to use it, I didn't know how. I think once or twice I tried to grill some strip steaks on it, burned them, and never used it again. To make matters worse, a girl I was dating had a weber kettle in her backyard and one night we were going to make some burgers. Problem was her BBQ was missing the front leg. So I pulled the leg off mine, and put it on her BBQ for the night....fully intending to bring it back home. Well, I never did bring the leg home...one thing led to another, me and the girl broke up, and I never got my leg back.

So there my Weber sat...for several more years in the mud, legless....again rotting away. I had no interest in using the thing. It came very close to getting thrown into several dump runs.

Fast forward to 2008...

After doing quite a bit of renovating in my backyard, I start spending more time back there. The once weed-infested jungle now has landscaping, outdoor seating, sound system, outdoor bar, lounge area...it's the perfect party spot. My back yard becomes the go-to spot for parties among my circle of friends. Only problem? I don't know how to feed these people! I rely entirely on frozen Costco finger foods for my parties.

I realize I really need to learn to grill. I had been starting to take an interest in a few Food Network shows, and of course we all know they use predominantly gas. So for my birthday, I pooled together Home Depot gift cards I had and I bought a Weber Spirit 310 gas grill. On that grill I learn to make boneless chicken breasts, burgers, hot dogs, steaks...basic direct grill stuff.

As I learned to make more and more things, I decide that I want a grill with a side burner, and a different burner configuration (side-to-side vs. the Weber's front-to-back) so I can try doing some indirect grilling, which was very difficult on the Weber. So the following year (again on my birthday) I bought myself an Altima 5-burner (3 burners, 1 searing plate, side burner) gas grill from Costco.

Well, this grill ended up being more of the same. Just a bigger, flashier version of what I had with the weber. At this point I could make OK burgers, steaks, hot links, etc...basically enough to where I could make food for guests (and myself) but not spectacular. I wanted to make other things like ribs, chicken thighs, etc but knew they were beyond my ability. I tried to make some chicken thighs a few times...even got the cast iron smoke box and filled it with soaked wood chips. Bah...they sucked. Just a rubbery, flavorless, burnt mess. I figure I'll stick to what I know...burgers and boneless chicken breasts.

Then one day earlier this year I was at my friend Jimmy's house...he threw a small birthday BBQ for me. Well, he did some tri tip on his Brinkmann smoker. Wow! This was far juicier, far more flavorful and tender than anything I could ever do on my gas grill. He and I chatted a bit about his smoker and how it does great ribs, chicken, you name it...and now I was on a mission.

I immediately came home and started researching smokers and techniques for doing ribs. I stumbled across the Virtual Weber Bullet site and was really intrigued by the WSM. After doing some more research on WSM's I stumbled across THIS site and was really impressed with the atmosphere, the interaction, and the brotherhood that exists here. Since it was my birthday, I decided to continue my tradition and I ordered an 18.5" WSM that night!

My WSM arrived on a Friday. I assembled it, and then Saturday went and picked up 3 racks of baby back ribs. My first ribs ever. I followed the basic rib recipe on the virtual weber bullet site to the letter. I was blown away by how good these ribs were...my first ribs. I was instantly hooked!

It was then that I had my epiphany...my aha moment. I realized that everything I thought I knew about cooking meat outdoors was completely wrong. I also realized that what I needed all along was laying in a pile behind my shed...legless, rusting away, neglected...just begging to be used.

The day after my first rib cook, I went behind the shed, almost embarrassed for what I did to this grill. I very apologetically and humbly pulled the old guy out and cleaned him up. I pulled out my micrometer and measured the diameter of the other legs and bought a piece of tubing from the hardware store to make a new leg. I also picked up a new grate.

Since then I have used that Weber kettle at least 50 times. It is now my go-to piece of equipment. My burgers are better than they EVER were on the gasser. I can now make chicken thighs I can be proud to serve people. I've probably learned more and had more FUN in the last few months with the Weber kettle than the last couple years on the gas grills. Since rescuing that kettle, I gave my Weber gasser to a friend on a semi-permanent loan. And you know what I use my big stainless Costco gasser for now? Setting my chimney starter on while I light the coals for the kettle or the WSM. :) I'm already on craigslist looking for a second weber kettle I can add to the collection.

So here I am...basically looking to talk and learn BBQ...and explore what I can do with my kettle and my WSM. I look forward to making up for lost time, learning a bunch, and above all having a good time doing it.

Oh, and here is my current lineup...

Old 05-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
frognot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Charles

Welcome aboard Dave!

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
Old 05-19-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Bienvenidos!! Kettles RAWK!! Glad to see you brought that old girl back from the grave. That kettle is an OLDIE! Is that a "letter" stamped onto the top vent? I'll bet that kettle is 70's material.

Nice arsenal. Welcome.

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
Old 05-19-2010, 11:56 AM   #4
sixdoubleo
Found some matches.

Bob, it has an "A" which according to the link I found on TWBB, makes it a 1979. One of these days I may order the correct leg for it and also get an ash catcher.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:19 PM   #5
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Welcome This is a Great Place
Old 05-19-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
BBQ Grail

Welcome Neighbor!

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #7
sixdoubleo
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
Welcome Neighbor!
Oh hey, Rocklin! I have an Aunt that lives in Stanford Ranch...up on the hill above the golf course.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixdoubleo View Post
Bob, it has an "A" which according to the link I found on TWBB, makes it a 1979. One of these days I may order the correct leg for it and also get an ash catcher.

That's a classic. Take care of it and it will take care of you. Once again, welcome.

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
Old 05-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #9
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Welcome from cajun country. Now you know why ya kept the ole Weber all these years-it was destiny cause the force was with you.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #10
landarc

Beautiful and welcome to the Brethren, I am a kettle smoker. I was sort of hoping you had bought the WSM and was looking for someone to come get that old beater kettle of yours.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Old 05-19-2010, 06:43 PM   #11
UNTSIG
On the road to being a farker

Greetings from Vegas!
Old 05-19-2010, 06:47 PM   #12
Westexbbq

Welcome to the camp,
Dave.
Enjoy.
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Old 05-19-2010, 08:05 PM   #13
rolf
Full Fledged Farker

Wow, this story is too nice(and long) to be left in the kettle call! Welcome to the brethren.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #14
trueque
Full Fledged Farker

From one brethren forum newbie to another, welcome sir.

Backwoods Party
Old 05-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #15
drewcountry
Found some matches.

HOwdy from Elk Grove! One newbie to another!
Closed Thread