MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:04 AM   #12046
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kftopgun View Post
Smoked two slabs of ribs and a whole chicken this weekend. Turned out fine but one thing I was disappointed in was that I lost my fire about 5 hours in. Maintained fairly steady at 225 then basically just went out. I didn't snuff it out, only tweaked airflow as necessary to try and maintain temp. There was a ton of unlit, unburned lump in my basket when it went out. Mine has four "intakes".....all with a screw cap. Would I be better served by replacing one or more with a ball valve to help better control intake????? Like I said, the food was done and tasty, but had I been cooking a brisket or butt, I would have been SOL......
Lump burns Hotter but also needs more airflow . I don't like lump in my UDS. I get longer, steadier temps with Briquets.

Go get some Stubbs Briquetts and forget 225*, let that thing breathe and run where it wants to - anywhere between 225*and 325*, it'll settle in some where's in there and just go with it.

275* is the Best All Around BBQ Temp. - ESP for Pork Ribs.

Now I did try a SoHotnSoFast Brisket Cook last weekend -5 hrs at 400-450*. It was Decent but I've decided 350* is Max for Smoking.

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-12-2014, 01:57 AM   #12047
Kakhuis
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Charlesgriet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstomper View Post
I have the same issue with moisture in the bottom of my uds. I asked the question and aparently the moisture is normal. I soak mine up with some paper towel. btw nice uds
Thanks . Not too worried about it. Was just wondering if one chicken leave so much moisture, what is going to happen when I go for more or bigger cuts. Tomorrow with I will see. I am going to have a grill rack full of chicken pieces. Lots of dripping going to take place will see how it ends.
Kakhuis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2014, 04:05 PM   #12048
bert-nc
Found some matches.

Default run away temps

one thing I am having trouble with is the temp on my uds running away when I lift the lid to remove the food that I am cooking.

cooking ribs about 260, remove them to foil, walked by a few minutes after placing them back on uds, temp up to 350

took ribs off and placed in oven

suggestions on what I am doing wrong

bert-nc
bert-nc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2014, 04:51 PM   #12049
Wahoo95
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert-nc View Post
one thing I am having trouble with is the temp on my uds running away when I lift the lid to remove the food that I am cooking.

cooking ribs about 260, remove them to foil, walked by a few minutes after placing them back on uds, temp up to 350

bert-nc
Cut off the air about 15min before you plan to have the lid open that long. Also when its open you need to be fast. When pulling food I just pull the whole rack. Same with putting food on...I pull the rack out in advance them position the food so I can simply drop it in once the lid comes off. Clipping the temp probe and placing one in the meat takes seconds then lid goes back on.
Wahoo95 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #12050
bert-nc
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo95 View Post
Cut off the air about 15min before you plan to have the lid open that long. Also when its open you need to be fast. When pulling food I just pull the whole rack. Same with putting food on...I pull the rack out in advance them position the food so I can simply drop it in once the lid comes off. Clipping the temp probe and placing one in the meat takes seconds then lid goes back on.
I wondered if I left the lid off to long, but had my mind on other things, so not real sure of the lenght of time. However I will keep the lid off the shortest possible amount of time on the next cook.

thanks for the advice

bert-nc
bert-nc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2014, 06:33 PM   #12051
UDSPowercat
Knows what a fatty is.

I have been busy!!
image.jpg
UDSPowercat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2014, 06:34 PM   #12052
UDSPowercat
Knows what a fatty is.

image.jpg

Old 07-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #12053
UDSPowercat
Knows what a fatty is.

image.jpg

Old 07-14-2014, 07:09 AM   #12054
Kakhuis
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Charlesgriet

Tried with more chicken yesterday. looked like BP had a oil spill again. Lots of liquid/fat.
I also broke 1 temp. I have a temp measure that have the wire with the L shape prope on the end. It has a plastic cover over the wire part. I had it in and work great. Was at 170 Celcuis and then open lid to put in the grill with chickens. Got a temp spike of over 200 Celcuis and then prope did not read anything anymore. Must have burned the wire or something.
Kakhuis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2014, 09:05 AM   #12055
bstomper
Full Fledged Farker

I have pipe plugs for the air intake ball valves on my UDS. When I am cooking and have them adjusted for the temp I want, just before I open the lid I instal them into the ball valves completely shutting off the air flowing into the smoker, do what I have to do quickly then replace the lid. The temp will spike a bit once I put the lid back on but with all the intake air shut off it drops fairly quick. I leave the plugs in until it gets back down to the temp I want and then I remove the plugs. It settles right back to the previous temp. There is a lot less messing around with the ball valves this way.
bstomper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2014, 09:36 AM   #12056
Awitte58
Knows what a fatty is.

You make/sell UDS smokers?

Link?
(PM if you think itll get you in trouble with the mods)
They look good!
Awitte58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2014, 11:34 AM   #12057
BGBarracus
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:

bert-nc
Hey Bert,

I used to have the same problem with my UDS when removing the lid. It's a little extreme but had an idea and had to follow through on it. See this thread for a mod I came up with that solved the problem:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=125116

BGBarracus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2014, 11:55 AM   #12058
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:

bert-nc
That's normal - u just gotta work faster - have foil or paper ready n laid out - pull lid, snatch ribs put lid back on, wrap ribs, pull lid, place wrap ribs in , replace lid. If u are doing several snatch them all into pan, put lid back on while unwrap them.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #12059
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

I always close my intakes before removing the lid. Re-open back to the same position when your done. No flair ups, no temp spikes.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2014, 01:08 PM   #12060
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Every UDS behaves differently. I've had my lid off for a minute or two on dozens of occasions and have never experienced these flare ups and temp spikes people have been talking about.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker