• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tri-tip

Twisted Martini

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Thinking about throwing this on the ECB tomorrow with a little hickory. Question about temps though, I've read bring it up to 135-140 for medium rare, but I also read something about 190-200 like a brisket. ANybody have any suggestions about where to be?

I always pull tri tip no higher than 135. Tent with foil for 5 mins. Temp will rise to ~140. Carve, eat, repeat.
Perfect medium rare.

I always pull tri tip no higher than 135. Tent with foil for 5 mins. Temp will rise to ~140. Carve, eat, repeat.
Perfect medium rare.

That's exactly how I do it, although I usually let the meat rest 10mins.

Tri Tip can be smoked low and slow or tri tip can be grilled hot and fast.
Either way turns out great. Experiment and chose which method that you prefer. I personally prefer "Santa Maria" style grilled---but others have differing opinions.

We cooked 17 cases of tri-tip today---approx 400 tri-tips and used 2 Santa Maria Style open grills using oak wood and spices from "The Rub Company. They turned out awesome just like always. Tri-tip is a forgiving cut of meat---it is hard to ruin a tri-tip----however it can be done.

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1214531 said:
What temp do you cook at? I have 2 going on tomorrow.

Since I primarily use kettle grills for meats like this, I use a reverse sear minion method. Starting temps at around 200 with a few chunks of oak-peaking to around 400 or so after about 40 mins. Finish it off on the hot side for a nice sear.

Details HERE:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73593

Being a CA native and having had lots of Santa Maria tri-tip, this method for me duplicates the authentic flavor quite nicely.

I haven't done a tri-tip on my UDS yet, but am anxious to try at hotter temps of around 300 or so.

The Tri Tip kicked ass! Rubbed it with magic dust last night, threw it on today with a hickory log. I was worried that the wind today would steal my heat, but it only took about 2 hours to get it to 135. It was a perfect medium rare, although I would probably use a salt based rub instead of the magic dust. Thanks for all your tips!:clap2:

Tri-tip is a forgiving cut of meat---it is hard to ruin a tri-tip----however it can be done.
I can ruin one, no matter how hard it is, I can do it. :laugh:

I usually grill it over high heat to an internal of 135F, pull and rest under foil for 10 to 15 minutes. I do not wrap, I like the crunch. I did a low and slow tri-tip for Christmas and it was incredible. The link is below, I did post this before and do not want to duplicate post.

http://smoke-n-brew.blogspot.com/2009/12/christmas-tri-tip.html

Okay, that post could have been more useful. The tri-tip was cooked at 230F for 4.5 hours, it was rubbed with a first layer of Simply Marvelous Cherry rub and a second layer of my own riff off of the Dirty Dalmation rub. It was cooked over Royal Oak briquettes. I did no sear on the tri-tip for this cook, it was straight up low-n-slow, served with a 15 minute rest under a foil tent. It was one of the best tri-tips I have ever had.

Back