Would you want to own a BBQ joint?

D

ddog27

Here is a question.

Would you ever want to own your own BBQ restaurant?

If so what would you do to make your place different from the others?

Yea, I'd do it if I could get the start up money. What I'd do to make it different (from Texas joints anyway) is keep it small. About the size of Blacks BBQ in Lockhart. Have it set up more like a steak house. Real tableware ya know. The one thing I hate about most Q joints around here is eating on butcher paper with plastic forks. That sucks! No metal signs on the walls and silly antique motif. Just a nice bright, clean, full service place. I big pot of free beans and a salad bar with every meal off on the side. Cornbread and dinner rolls with real butter and honey butter. Really good side dishes and desserts. Fresh steamed Veggies. comfortable wide chairs, beer on tap in big schooners, mint ice tea. Grilled pork chops, and chicken. smoked ribs, sausage, pork loin, turkey, and brisket or clod. ABTs and a relish bar. Four fast lunch specials.

Any old timers from San Antonio that remember the "The Bean Pot BBQ", That's what I'm talking about.

Sounds like a great idea, 'cept for the mint Ice tea. I haven't been around here long enough to know about The Bean Pot, but I would eat there, or even go in on it if I had start up money myself!

Gonna be interesting to see how Joe answers this one. :lol:

Food Service is just many hours and too much irritation for me.

Hey Dog, you need to post this on another forum and see what happens.

TIM

ZILLA said:
Have it set up more like a steak house. Real tableware ya know. The one thing I hate about most Q joints around here is eating on butcher paper with plastic forks. That sucks! No metal signs on the walls and silly antique motif.
Interesting, this kind of describes our local place. Everytime I go there I wish I was back in Texas eating on butcher paper at one of them community tables.
To answer the question, I would love to have bbq joint and would do so in connection with a boutique full service butcher shop.

ZILLA said:
Yea, I'd do it if I could get the start up money. What I'd do to make it different (from Texas joints anyway) is keep it small. About the size of Blacks BBQ in Lockhart. Have it set up more like a steak house. Real tableware ya know. The one thing I hate about most Q joints around here is eating on butcher paper with plastic forks. That sucks! No metal signs on the walls and silly antique motif. Just a nice bright, clean, full service place. I big pot of free beans and a salad bar with every meal off on the side. Cornbread and dinner rolls with real butter and honey butter. Really good side dishes and desserts. Fresh steamed Veggies. comfortable wide chairs, beer on tap in big schooners, mint ice tea. Grilled pork chops, and chicken. smoked ribs, sausage, pork loin, turkey, and brisket or clod. ABTs and a relish bar. Four fast lunch specials.

Any old timers from San Antonio that remember the "The Bean Pot BBQ", That's what I'm talking about.

Free Beans!! You might need some air fresheners in there!!!

The only thing I can can say is I like it, it's rewarding, it's a shirt load of hard work and long hours. 16 hours a day, 6 days a week.
The only thing I would do different, would be to open a pasta joint.
Way larger profit margin.
$7.95 for .05 of noodles and some sauce

How's this Kap?

I would, but I don't think I would actually do it because of the hours involved.

I don't think I would like to own any business - too much work and not enough free time. Although Smoking Guns here in KC have a BBQ joint (very good BTW) but they are closed on weekends - good planning on their part!

"How's this Kap?"

Not bad for a start. I bet you have more to offer later :lol:

I actually toyed with the idea of a part time joint.
Open maybe Fri-Sat-Sun from 11AM to 7PM (or sold out).
Maybe 3 meats- Pulled/chopped pork and beef (Sammichs or plate) and maybe ribs. Food cost on ribs is a bit scary.
2 sides of my choice and they may change daily based on market and my mood.
Tea, Lemonade, and soft drinks (small selection).
Primarily phone-in and carry-out with possibility of some small patio type tables.
Did a "pro-forma" business plan. Too much up front $$ for me. Many regulatory hoops to jump through.
And, it would tie me down and screw up my travel and competition plans.

I am a ROF (Retired old fart). Extra $$ would always be welcome, but not at the cost of a bunch of headaches.
This type of joint would never support a family, but would produce some really nice spending money.

There is a place North of Dothan, AL that is set up exactly like this except they are 6 day a week operation with longer hours. Fantastic BBQ. Provides a nice income to support 2 families and they have been in business 25 + years.

Just my nickle here.

TIM

My dream and it is just that cause I know it is a very diificult undertaking is to own a primarily take out Joint with maybe a picknick table or two outside and than do catering. There is a guy here in J'ville that has a little shack in a parking lot, take out only and he does a great biz. Remember the question was would you want to , and not would it be easy

One of our local Q joints just became available for lease. The sign out front already says, "Scott's BBQ". The thought had crossed my mind.

My family and I discussed this. It is financially unacheivable, but there is an area here that has not had many restaraunts in it and is just now starting to show growth that way.
We discussed lunch specials that are fast and ready to go, a drive-thru window, call in orders, and of course sit down dinning. It would be the big four, with fresh made sides and some change daily. Booths and tables. Parking for pickup trucks and service vehicles.
I want it relaxed, smells good, easy on the eyes, easy in and out.

It is alot of hard work running a bbq joint. Up here in michigan the economy stinks. Places that have been around for 40-50 years are closing down. In today's market you have to do more than just great food. Way too much competition -franchises with big pockets opening on every corner, then the rest of the places giving out farkin chit food that the masses eat up because its cheap. High food costs, crazy labor market -no one wants to put in the hours but everyone wants to get paid. If you do a one man operation it is too much work and not worth it. Catering is where the money is at. Do that instead of opening a BBQ joint. Unless you have the money and family to help out because it takes alot of hard work to get er done! JUST MY OPINION AFTER A LONG HARD BUSY DAY!

Bigmista said:
Joe,

What time do youstart cooking for the next day?
Butts go in about 6 pm. Briskets closer to 10pm.
Next morning:
Ribs go in at around 6 or 7 am.

Briskets and butts come out at around 10 am
Ribs come out around 11am when we open.

Most of the time.

Finish cleaning kitchen and do the books around 10 or 11pm.

Back in the kitchen to start setting up for the day at 6 or 7am.

I'd like to have my own BBQ place, but then again, I'd like to be better looking and have a lot more money.

I guess you alway want what you don't have so I'm sicking with the backyard thing.

Joe, you just made me appreciate your hard work even more. Ive worked in a kitchen, but not been the boss or owner. Thats hard enuf. The fact that it is never ending would get to me very quickly, but at age 54, I ain't as gung ho as I was at 30-35. My hats off to all you hard working owners! Pay attention Neil. Securities, or BBQ, weigh the hrs, but do what you love. don't let anybody steal your dream, just be sure its do-able, not a pipe dream.

Joe,
How are you able to post all day long, seven days a week, and still run a restaraunt?

Not kidding, plenty of us want to know.

Do you have 1 hand on the keyboard, and one on the grill?

willkat98 said:
Joe,
How are you able to post all day long, seven days a week, and still run a restaraunt?

Not kidding, plenty of us want to know.

Do you have 1 hand on the keyboard, and one on the grill?

Bill,
I really think he sits in the bathroom with a laptop waiting
on a non customer to show up.

--OR--

He has Great help !!

Back