MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:16 AM   #1
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Gateway or Cloud

Hi All I finally got me a smart phone. So now I'm thinking about getting either of these two to monitor my cooks. I need some thoughts from those of you have used either one.

I do have the Digi Q DX 2 now, should I just keep it or move up the Cloud or Gateway? I have a tough decision to make.

Thanks DanB

Old 09-18-2018, 01:51 PM   #2
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Oh know here we go again???

Last edited by DanB; 09-18-2018 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: bumped
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2018, 02:20 PM   #3
Jrogers84
is One Chatty Farker

are you talking smoke gateway?
Jrogers84 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 09-18-2018, 05:48 PM   #4
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Yes gateway smoke
Thanks DanB

Old 09-18-2018, 07:38 PM   #5
Wager
Full Fledged Farker

Heard nothing but good things about the smoke but have heard about connection issues with both the gateway and cloud. I think if I were deciding between the two I would probably go with the cloud only because of how reliable the digiqs have been for me. I currently use the fireboard.
Wager is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2018, 08:12 PM   #6
Westx
is One Chatty Farker

Dan I have the smoke without the gateway and it works just fine. In the two years I have had I have only had one connection problem and that was because I walked to far away from the main unit. I also have the digs for running my Humphrey’s and it has been great. If I was to need to buy again it would be a FireBoard.
Assassin 36” Pellet Grill
LSG Mini on reversed comp cart
LSG 20”x36” pellet grill
Wes
Westx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2018, 08:18 PM   #7
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Don't forget Bluetooth on that new square phone.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GrillEye-...obes/891197717
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2018, 08:44 PM   #8
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

CyberQ cloud versus Thermoworks smoke? If that's what I'm reading I'd go with the cloud as you can control your temps as well.
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2018, 05:50 AM   #9
Jrogers84
is One Chatty Farker

Ive had connection issues with the gateway but nothing that hasnt been able to be fixed before the cook. They recently had a server go down and I believe they are using a new third party service. No issues since then
Jrogers84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2018, 06:44 PM   #10
Porcine Aviator
Full Fledged Farker

I have had a smoke for about a year and a Gateway for a little shorter time. I have had problems with both, in the past and even now.

Immediately, the smoke would not transmit farther than 50-75 feet. When I go more than 10 feet into my house, leaving the exterior door open, the signal is intermittent. This is a distance of about 50 feet. The beeping is quite annoying. When I try to test the range at a line-of-sight distance, it is good for about 75 feet— tops. I sent the smoke to ThermoWorks and they claim the unit functions normally. No way.

I bought the Gateway and stopped using the Smoke remote unit. The system has worked okay until recently. When the Gateway stopped working, I updated the firmware and went through the sync process about 50 times. At the end of each setup cycle, the icon says that I am now "connected to the network". Not so. There is no temperature connection.

I have an Auber 1615 controller that works great but has no Wifi. I have used other Auber products and they have all worked flawlessly— including a sous vide controller.
These guys have a first class engineering staff and know what they are about.

I am dumping the ThermoWorks stuff for an Auber 2615 controller which I feel confident will function properly. My cousin has a 2615 and had a little problem getting the temp algorithm quite right. He called Auber, spoke to an engineer who asked a few questions and suggested some new algorithm parameters. Bingo, he now is always within 5° of set point. That's service.

ThermoWorks may be a good company, but I don't think they have this equipment sorted out yet. Anyway, I can't deal with any further frustration in this regard.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:24 AM   #11
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Hi Thanks all for the replies..I'm now looking at Fireboard. What I'm looking forward doing is graphing and being able to change things from a distant.
Thanks Again DanB

Old 09-20-2018, 12:36 PM   #12
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

The pitmasterIQ IQ130 has Bluetooth connectivity too.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2018, 02:06 PM   #13
KB BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Kenny

I’ve owned the Smoke and the Gateway since they both became available and have had zero connection problems.
4 WSM's 1 WGA and stuff to make Fire & Smoke

KB BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2018, 03:09 PM   #14
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB BBQ View Post
I’ve owned the Smoke and the Gateway since they both became available and have had zero connection problems.
HI Which do like better and why?
Thanks DanB

Old 09-20-2018, 04:10 PM   #15
KB BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Kenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
HI Which do like better and why?
Thanks DanB
Thermoworks Smoke with the WiFi Gateway is what meant, I have not used the CyberQ Cloud.
4 WSM's 1 WGA and stuff to make Fire & Smoke

KB BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote