MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:58 PM   #31
Desert Hawg
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
Hi SyraQue,

To everyone trying Vegemite for the first time, IT'S NOT LIKE PEANUT BUTTER. You do not slather it on . You use just enough to color your margarine / butter a bit for the first time. Try that and go from there. Otherwise, you'll just hate if forever 'cause you ate it wrong.

Cheers!
Had Vegemite in 1983, when my ship visited Fremantle. Spent some time with a very nice family and towards the end of the visit, the teenagers of the family asked if I had ever tried Vegemite. I said no, and they said they would fix me a sandwich to try. I talked them into just putting some on a soda cracker. I have eaten many strange things in my travels of the world, but nothing that comes close to the taste of Vegemite. Worst tasting stuff I have ever eaten. They stated the best description of the taste of Vegemite by a Yank was,"Grabs your tongue, rolls it around the inside of your mouth, then rips it out by the roof".

Old 09-17-2018, 09:14 PM   #32
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titch View Post
Guess i need to be serious
I have read quiet a lot about using Vegemite as a rub, i have tried heaps of recipes doing it as I love vegemite.
I will stick to using it on bread etc, great on crackers. Awefull on meats, just my opinion.

Yep, substituent Vegemite for Mayonnaise. Will never do it but it has it's place.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2018, 11:33 PM   #33
Tatanka
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

I was once told by an Aboriginal Elder that Vegemite tastes exactly like the sweat on the inside of a kangaroo's thigh after a 20-mile hop in 100F heat. I took his word for it!

Vegemite reminds me of the old Alka-Seltzer ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qdfMYFl0Ic

Kevin
22.5" Weber Kettle & 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain
Tatanka is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-18-2018, 06:05 AM   #34
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

With all these stories about what Vegemite is "supposed" to taste like I'm thinking about that "ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.

Just wondering how much money they could raise if you had to eat a spoonful of vegemite as the challenge. There would be a few interesting expressions for sure!
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2018, 08:49 AM   #35
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
With all these stories about what Vegemite is "supposed" to taste like I'm thinking about that "ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.

Just wondering how much money they could raise if you had to eat a spoonful of vegemite as the challenge. There would be a few interesting expressions for sure!
You first.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:32 AM   #36
AussieMatt
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
You first.
I'll do it, no worries!

Weber Original 22" - RIP
UDS
Fiskgriddle
Weber Kettle Premium - Copper
AussieMatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2018, 05:33 PM   #37
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Yeah, me too.

I eat it like peanut butter because I'm an Aussie!

Just love the expressions on people's faces trying it for the first time.
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2018, 05:38 PM   #38
PatAttack

First time I tried it, I thought I was chewing on a piece of a railroad cross-tie!

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote