Anyone Own a Meadow Creek BBQ 42 Chicken Cooker

Walshman

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm thinking about buying a BBQ 42 chicken cooker. For anyone who owns one or has cooked on one, can you provide me with any tips for this cooker?

How much charcoal is needed for cooking? All air vents open? Do you use lump or briquettes? How often do you flip chicken?

Thanks for any info!!

I have a BBQ 42. One of my favorite cooking machines. I use a 5 gallon bucket of briquettes and two chimeny starter fulls. Top vents open and adjust bottom vents as needed. Usually about 25% to start and then open more to crisp skin at the end.

Takes a few batches to get the feel, like any new cooker.

You'll soon be famous at picnics.

That cooker looks fun, I was interested in it for a while. I hope you get one, I want to hear all about it.

This is exactly the type of info I was looking for! Thanks!!

I have a BBQ 42. One of my favorite cooking machines. I use a 5 gallon bucket of briquettes and two chimeny starter fulls. Top vents open and adjust bottom vents as needed. Usually about 25% to start and then open more to crisp skin at the end.

Takes a few batches to get the feel, like any new cooker.

You'll soon be famous at picnics.

How long does a batch usually take to cook and how often do you flip your chicken? Thank you!!

Takes around an hour and a half the way I do it. Flipping pretty often. It's not a set and forget cooker.

I just got an email blast from Meadow creek. Black Friday sale with discounts starting at 0300 on friday.

Start-up question

You mentioned you use a 5 gallon bucket of briquettes and two chimeny starter fulls. Top vents open and adjust bottom vents as needed. Usually about 25% to start and then open more to crisp skin at the end.

DO you have to leave the hood open for while after dumping in the 5 gallon bucket, or close and go. Also, Do you load chicken in the unit or do you remove the flip grate to pre-load the meat?

Thanks

I usually leave the lid closed the until right at the end when I am finishing the skin. Some cookers like these don't even have lids....so I am not saying you have to have it closed.

I almost always load/unload the rack while it is off the grill. Load and season on my cooking table. Makes it easy to spray rack with cooking oil and load/season the chicken.

It's much easier if you have a friend to help...but in a pinch I can get it on by myself. Getting it off is another story. Its big, hot and heavy.

I use the Meadow Creek BBQ seasoning. Perfect for chicken. Spray occasionally with vinegar/butter/apple juice/seasonings.

Cool,what's going on with the 1/2" black iron propane piping into the BBQ42 lid?

I have two. Bought one new and found a used one on craigslist. Love them. I use briquettes. at least a 20lb bag. Im always loading the grate up 100%. someone said it earlier.....cook a couple of batches and you will figure it out. done when its done. Best chicken ever.

The 1/2" iron pipe is a handle built around the wheel well. My arms are too short and my belly too big to fully open it without leaning in too much. It's a little high for me when it's on the trailer. That cooker throws out some heat and smoke....keep you face away.

Wait until you smell 40 lbs of chicken cooking.

Love my BBQ 42. We usually use an 18lb Kingsford bag including what we use to light it. Chicken takes about an hour for quarters and they come out AMAZING. I love it. We usually just flip it once and load it up as the charcoal is catching underneath.

Advice about 5 gallon bucket of charcoal and 2 lit chimneys was spot on. Some of the best tasting chicken:

IMG_1415.jpg
IMG_1419.jpg
IMG_1480.jpg

I agree fully, 2 chimneys of royal oak lump, plus one 5 gallon bucket!

Done in less than 90 minutes!! Best!! Darker ones were sauced,others no sauce

IMG_9456.jpg

Back