MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:42 AM   #1
pitboss02
Found some matches.

Default Need your advice... YS, GMG, LG, RT, Traeg

Sorry Guys... I know this has been posted (or variations of this question) a million times.

I'm getting married in the fall and my fiancé has given me the green light for a grill/smoker. I can spend up to $1500 on one, so I want to take full advantage of the opportunity!

Relatively new to the smoking game, so I like the idea of the pellet smokers. Here's what I'm struggling with.

Yoder 640 - Love the idea of quality - US made
Louisiana 900 - Love the idea of the direct flame for searing
Rec Tec 680 - Reviews have this as best value
GMG Jim Bowie - Cost efficient for entry level smoking!
Traeger Pro 34 - Most "popular" option to the masses

- I will be using for hosting BBQs with up to 20-25 people.
- I value quality
- I want ease of use!

Any advice would be appreciated!

P.s. Might compliment this setup with a webber charcoal grill for searing, dogs, etc.
pitboss02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2017, 11:03 AM   #2
EdF
is One Chatty Farker

Define "ease of use" - set and forget?

And their helpers.
EdF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2017, 11:10 AM   #3
pitboss02
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdF View Post
Define "ease of use" - set and forget?
Yeah, set & forget... or something close to that!

Old 07-08-2017, 11:12 AM   #4
Pstores
is One Chatty Farker

Out of those.... The Yoder.... skip the Traeger unless it's the Timberline. And I think the would be alittle small in your price range. The bigger one s more than your looking to spend. JMHO

With that said..... Don't be afraid to venture to a Cabinet like a Backwoods. Great capacity and easy to run. Much easier than you may think. Just smokin.... Can't grill on it. Or you can check out the Hunsackers, PBC or build yourself a UDS for the grill application later on..... The Hunsackers are pretty versitile and seem like a good ticket. Start with that then venture out. Some light reading. All depends on what your looking to do with it. Good luck with your decision.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...=248917&page=2
Lone Star Grillz Large with reversed cart, Meadow Creek TS120p insulated firebox and stainless front shelf. Sent to a better home to be used like a stick burner should be. Weber Charcoal Summit, Cabelas Pro 100, ready to build UDS, Retired the Big Green Egg XL and Treager 070....
Pstores is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2017, 11:16 AM   #5
el_matt
Babbling Farker

My coworker had a Traeger, for years. He gave it to his son, and got a YS640. He likes it so much more than the Traeger. Said the heat is fairly even, and it'll get hot enough for a good sear. If I ever decide to get a pooper, a Yoder will be at the top of the list of choices.

Matt

Last edited by el_matt; 07-08-2017 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: Typo
el_matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2017, 11:17 AM   #6
CeramicChef
Full Fledged Farker

Congrats on the pending nuptials! All the best to you and your Bride To Be.

You might want to consider expanding your list. A Kamado Joe Big Joe is well within your price range. A kamado is the single most versatile back yard cooker you can buy. It's a smoker, a grill, a roaster, a baker, and a low-n-slow cooker. This option does away with the need for any other cooker like a Weber. Of course I am prejudiced ... I own 2 kamados and have been cooking exclusively on them for 25 years.

However, if you do want a pellet grill, I recommend the big Yoder. Several friends have the Yoder and they are really good smokers that are built like a battleship. They also have excellent customer service which should be part of your calculus.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:36 AM   #7
el_matt
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeramicChef View Post
...does away with the need for any other cooker like a Weber.
That's blasphemous!!

Matt

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-08-2017, 11:45 AM   #8
Clay-b-que
is One Chatty Farker

Another vote for the yoder if you are going pooper.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:49 AM   #9
pitboss02
Found some matches.

Thanks guys. Appreciate it.

Seems like Yoder is #1. Just curious what everyones #1 and #2 pick would be just for sake of comparison?

Old 07-08-2017, 11:53 AM   #10
Clay-b-que
is One Chatty Farker

If going pellet 1=yoder, 2=traeger

Old 07-08-2017, 02:01 PM   #11
Huskres
Full Fledged Farker

I have a rectec. I would take a hard look at a blazn grill as well. I really want an all stainless though.
Huskres is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2017, 02:30 PM   #12
bosco0633
is one Smokin' Farker

I had the choice between the yoder and traeger a while back. I went with the timberline series and have not regretted it. The yoder is a great grill and was an industry leader, however, the timberline had some seriously cool new tech updates that intrigued me enough to buy it.

At that price you can afford the timberline 850 which still has more grilling space then the 640, however, if you extend the budget a bit you can get into the timberline 1300 which I have.

Top five reasons for me going timberline were the following

1. Wifire (wifi technology gives the ultimate control and ability to set it and forget it). Factor in the traeger app and cook cycles and recipe programs and that makes wifire such an awesome upgrade.

2. Double wall steel and door gasket. This thing is a tank and holds heats and is sealed tight for better pellet consumption and smoke

3. Downdraft technology. Smoke just lingers and adds such an amazing smoke profile compared to other pellet smokers I have used.

4. Super smoke - the biggest criticism of a pellet smoke is for their inability to hit a strong smoke flavour into their meat. Worry no more with the super smoke. I love the profile it imparts now on my meat.

5. 304 stainless grates x3 make for tons of room for large cooks. These are heavy duty grates and I couldn't be happier with them.

Traeger still doesn't provide direct cook for high heat, however the lower grate can go into a lower setting getting food closer to the source. Also the new timberline can hit 500 degrees now.

But like you said adding a kettle will be an excellent addition to any pellet smoker that you go with.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-08-2017, 02:34 PM   #13
Wicked Smoke BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I have a Rec-Tec 680 and if I don't want to fire up my MMS-72xc its my go to smoker. Turns out just as good food as the MMS does.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:46 PM   #14
Pstores
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeramicChef View Post
Of course I am prejudiced .. I own 2 kamados and have been cooking exclusively on them for 25 yearms...
Now coming from a guy who owned a BGE Large as well as many other cookers... You need to expand your horizons and experiences........ As you see sold my BGE and never looked back. Although I do have a Weber Charcoal Summit that is every bit as good as the BGE and maybe better in some respects. Time will tell. I have only been cooking on the WCS since last year. Not knocking the ceramics.... They as well as all other styles have thier place. I think they are hard to beat doing 900 plus degree steaks and pizzas at any temp. Smoking is another story. Anyway, don't want to hijack this thread.
Lone Star Grillz Large with reversed cart, Meadow Creek TS120p insulated firebox and stainless front shelf. Sent to a better home to be used like a stick burner should be. Weber Charcoal Summit, Cabelas Pro 100, ready to build UDS, Retired the Big Green Egg XL and Treager 070....

Old 07-08-2017, 02:50 PM   #15
Pstores
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco0633 View Post
I had the choice between the yoder and traeger a while back. I went with the timberline series and have not regretted it. The yoder is a great grill and was an industry leader, however, the timberline had some seriously cool new tech updates that intrigued me enough to buy it.

At that price you can afford the timberline 850 which still has more grilling space then the 640, however, if you extend the budget a bit you can get into the timberline 1300 which I have.

Top five reasons for me going timberline were the following

1. Wifire (wifi technology gives the ultimate control and ability to set it and forget it). Factor in the traeger app and cook cycles and recipe programs and that makes wifire such an awesome upgrade.

2. Double wall steel and door gasket. This thing is a tank and holds heats and is sealed tight for better pellet consumption and smoke

3. Downdraft technology. Smoke just lingers and adds such an amazing smoke profile compared to other pellet smokers I have used.

4. Super smoke - the biggest criticism of a pellet smoke is for their inability to hit a strong smoke flavour into their meat. Worry no more with the super smoke. I love the profile it imparts now on my meat.

5. 304 stainless grates x3 make for tons of room for large cooks. These are heavy duty grates and I couldn't be happier with them.

Traeger still doesn't provide direct cook for high heat, however the lower grate can go into a lower setting getting food closer to the source. Also the new timberline can hit 500 degrees now.

But like you said adding a kettle will be an excellent addition to any pellet smoker that you go with.
Well said even from a kamado guy.....

Tags
GMG, Jim Bowie, louisiana, Rec Tec, traeger, Yoder