MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #46
erichasaces
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
I wish I had learned to cook hot-n-fast first...sleep is good!
So, where would the best place to learn that be? I'm leaning on going that direction, and my first competition is coming up fast. I currently have two smokers. I use the small one for chicken as I cook it very hot, but I've been doing ribs, brisket, and pork all at 225. I've toyed with brisket up at 350, but not sure how to pull off ribs and pork if they temp is that high.
erichasaces is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2014, 11:04 PM   #47
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichasaces View Post
So, where would the best place to learn that be? I'm leaning on going that direction, and my first competition is coming up fast. I currently have two smokers. I use the small one for chicken as I cook it very hot, but I've been doing ribs, brisket, and pork all at 225. I've toyed with brisket up at 350, but not sure how to pull off ribs and pork if they temp is that high.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=201035

Here. Top 20 overall in KCBS TOY standings.

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatfield-and-McCoy-Barbecue/765488903565575"]Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue[/URL] - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; [COLOR="Sienna"]U[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]D[/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]S[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Blue"]DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]; [COLOR="DarkOrange"]IQ120[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Gray"]CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years)[/COLOR]; Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

[URL="http://bbqbeat.com/hatfield-and-mccoy-bbq-team/"]We're (kinda) famous![/URL]
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-28-2014, 09:42 AM   #48
erichasaces
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITBFQ View Post
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=201035

Here. Top 20 overall in KCBS TOY standings.
Wish that was a little bit closer. Don't think I can pull off all that travel that soon with that price tag.
erichasaces is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2014, 02:23 PM   #49
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Wish that was a little bit closer. Don't think I can pull off all that travel that soon with that price tag.
Houston to Washington is pretty cheap
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2014, 05:29 PM   #50
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I'm sure we will do it again. I appreciate the mention.

I'm obviously a little biased, but keep in mind that you can pay for the class AND the pits you need to replicate what we do all for well under the price of a normal offset pit, plus you get to sleep at night. It is the cheapest way to start cooking championship BBQ. Our setup will also extend your range. We often cook out of the back of a truck while staying at a hotel for competitions that are further away!

Old 12-28-2014, 10:15 PM   #51
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker

Have fun. If you're not having fun then what's the point.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:42 PM   #52
Sparkcharge
Knows what a fatty is.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradgreer View Post
The new year is almost upon us, and I am determined to compete for the first time this coming year.

What do you wish you would have known going into your first event that you know now?

That I should have started a thread like this!

Old 12-29-2014, 02:05 PM   #53
HolySmoke77
On the road to being a farker

Learn how to properly put together a Comp turn in box and pray that the sanctioning bodies someday get rid of them. Prep meat prior to going, don't be afraid to mingle, these BBQ people are some of the best in the country. Ask questions and don't be scared to finish your pork and brisket a wee bit early....and invest in a good cambro cooler. Most of all, don't expect to be Myron Mixon anytime soon...btw, the judges scores will def discourage you...don't allow that to happen, keep digging.
HolySmoke77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2014, 03:10 PM   #54
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

wear clean underwear....

drink like a fish....

Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->