• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Costco CAB Prime brisket--SoCal brethren step in..

Was at the Temecula costco on Friday night. Nada. Asked the meat guy, never seen them before....

My wife just stopped by La Habra Costco and picked up a prime packer brisket @ $2.69/lb , they had 3 in the case. Whoopee.. it'll be our first! Thanks for the intell, Halfprice and everyone else.

That's a killer buy. After seeing this post, I stopped in at our CostCo to take a peek before buying a membership. They only had 3, smallish briskets that did not look very good and they were 4.79 / lb. Called the butcher's shop and they wanted 4.99 / lb. and probably (I have not seen them) have much better quality.

Tell whoever is stocking those shelves to transfer to Greenville!

Hmm. Gonna hit up Costco here in Honolulu and see what the prices are. I don't think any things ever really "on sale" here though :/

Just left Costco in Escondido, they didn't have a clue about this. And their flats where $4.79/lb for choice.

My wife just stopped by La Habra Costco and picked up a prime packer brisket @ $2.69/lb , they had 3 in the case. Whoopee.. it'll be our first! Thanks for the intell, Halfprice and everyone else.

Its funny that they always seem to stock 3 at a time. Both times I bought them they had 3 in the case. I'm noticing most people that find the primes find 3.

Asked the butcher if they had any more. I wanted to look at a few of them to pick the best one. He back out with three more. Picked the best one, 12 1/2 lber and off I went.
///shakes fist///
Stay away from my store!! :p
Hope they have some good ones for that price left on Friday. Can't get one till after payday!

Its funny that they always seem to stock 3 at a time. Both times I bought them they had 3 in the case. I'm noticing most people that find the primes find 3.
Well...3 is a prime number after all:rolleyes:

Has anyone cooked any of these prime packers from Costco yet? How does the end product compare to other grades of brisket?

Costco Business Ctr. in San Diego does not have them either. Just regular Choice packers for $2.29/lb. My friend is a meat cutter there (which is odd because they don't sell "cut" meat there...only cryovac'd large cuts & cases) and he said that he's going to look into ordering some. We'll see...

Well...3 is a prime number after all:rolleyes:

Has anyone cooked any of these prime packers from Costco yet? How does the end product compare to other grades of brisket?

I did one the other day. I do believe the quality is better than what I have been using (especially considering the price for the prime grade is the same as I was paying for choice and select). I'm definitely happy with it. Hope Costco continues to have these around.

I also asked one of the butchers about the points. La Habra usually has flats in the case. I explained what the point/flat was and he said he thinks they receive the flats as is.

When explaining this to him he didn't really seem to understand so I'll have to talk to other butcher next week.

I wouldn't mind throwing on an extra point for burnt ends when doing the packer I just got.

Jerry

Went back to Burbank to grab another a couple days ago and they had three in the case as well, all about 11-12 pounds. Asked the butcher about Prime top block and whether or not he had any bigger Packers in the back. He came back with a couple more briskies. One 14 and one 15 pounds. Definitely worth asking for what your looking for.

[tasUOTE=glaudds;2630271]Well...3 is a prime number after all:rolleyes:

Has anyone cooked any of these prime packers from Costco yet? How does the end product compare to other grades of brisket?[/QUOTE]

I did one the other day. I do believe the quality is better than what I have been using (especially considering the price for the prime grade is the same as I was paying for choice and select). I'm definitely happy with it. Hope Costco continues to have these around.

Me too. I did one last week and its been the best/tastiest brisket I've done yet. Ive done choice and select and couldnt really tell the difference. Not the case with the prime. You immediately taste the difference and not surprising since its so marblized and tender even at the raw stage when you handle it. Good stuff for sure.

I did one last week too... Just salt and pepper. Even though I undercooked it, the flavor was still pretty good. Better price and better quality than what I see at Smart and Final or RD

I did one last week too... Just salt and pepper. Even though I undercooked it, the flavor was still pretty good. Better price and better quality than what I see at Smart and Final or RD

Yep! Salt and pepper over here as well and far off from Smart and Final.

///shakes fist///
Stay away from my store!! :p
Hope they have some good ones for that price left on Friday. Can't get one till after payday!

I can always pick one up for you if needed. I just live a mile or so away.

Jerry

Back