Buying my Dream Smoker, LSG 20x42, but what options?

Tannhauser42

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ok, well, technically not my "dream" smoker, as I mentioned in the dream smoker thread that my dream would be some giant steel monstrosity like a 1000 gallon Moberg or something, but "living in reality" smoker doesn't quite have the same ring to it, y'know? :p

So, tax refund in hand, and after spending many hours looking at every smoker manufacturer I can find online, particularly the Texas ones to save on shipping, I've decided on a Lone Star Grillz 20"x42" offset. I just now finished cutting down an old cardboard box to match the general dimensions to make sure I can get it through the house and to the backyard (can't go around the house, ground too uneven and sloped, tipping over too big a risk). I measured out the cooking grates on it to see what would fit on each grate. Waffled a bit between the 36 or the 42, but the fact that I could fit three foil pans (beans, cobbler, and mac-n-cheese for the big family cooks) side-by-side on the top shelf of the 42 sealed the deal.

But, now I must turn to the Brethren and anyone here who might own a LSG offset for some advice. What options should I go with? I'm thinking the ball-valve, probe ports, and pull handle at a minimum. I'm trying to keep the final total, with shipping, under $2500.
-1. The cover. Should I really pop $272 for the custom cover, or would a $20 heavy duty tarp do the job just fine?
-2. I love that I have the option to grill and griddle on the firebox, but for larger grill-cooks, how well does the grill grate insert for the main chamber work? It's $85, which I could put towards a Weber kettle instead. I currently have a Big Green Egg that I was thinking of selling once this comes in, but that would be a bit of hassle to get rid of. I suppose I could just keep the Egg for grilling. Argh, decisions.
---2A. On the other hand, would a separate grill really be necessary? How well does an offset do at cooking up burgers, hot dogs, pork chops, steaks, and such in the main chamber? I can just do the sear on the grill part of the firebox, right?
-3. Wheels. This isn't going to be moved too much. Once it's in the backyard, it will be stored up against the house, and then rolled a few feet into the middle of the patio when I cook with it. Do the upgraded 8" wheels make a big difference for moving it? I like that they have locks on them, but I have enough unused cinderblocks and garden stepstones lying around from the house's previous owners to use as chocks for the wheels so it doesn't roll off on its own.
-4. Internal ash pan. Does it make really make it that much easier to clean out the firebox?
-5. 1/2" fire grate. I like the words "lifetime warranty", but is there really a danger of the standard grate rusting/wearing out?

The only thing I would add besides your must get options which I agree with completely is the 8" wheel's. Keep the Egg or get a 26" kettle, I really like cooking on my kettle, I cook on it more than I do my PG.

Been looking at the LSG 20" x 36", I don't need quite the room you do.

The only thing I would add besides your must get options which I agree with completely is the 8" wheel's. Keep the Egg or get a 26" kettle, I really like cooking on my kettle, I cook on it more than I do my PG.

Been looking at the LSG 20" x 36", I don't need quite the room you do.

Thanks! Yeah, I don't really need that extra room, especially since 90% of the time I'll only be cooking for two. But, I figure when it's only an extra $100, why not have it for those few times when the extra space will make things easier?

Thanks! Yeah, I don't really need that extra room, especially since 90% of the time I'll only be cooking for two. But, I figure when it's only an extra $100, why not have it for those few times when the extra space will make things easier?
That thought has crossed my mind as well, $100 is insignificant.

Hi Kevin, I have been obsessed with LSG pits since I found them and I also have been thinking about grabbing the 20x42, it’s not my “dream pit” either (Shirley or the LSG 24x36 offset cabinet with a warmer) but it is in my price range and cheaper to ship to Utah and it satisfies 90% of my current cooking needs. Have you seen the myriad of you tube videos of users of this pit? I have and noticed that there appears to be some backdraft issues when opening the FB door and draw issues on startup and when adding splits that require the FB door to be open. I wonder if the baffle system between the FB and cook chamber is a bit restrictive when the FB door is open and if the FB could benefit from larger area on the intake? I’m just guessing and I am by no means an expert on offsets and I’ve only noticed it with the FB door open, when it is cooking and smoking normally it seems to be fine, I haven’t decided for sure to get one so I have been reluctant to ask Chris about it although I did try their new chat feature last week and one of their representatives said she would ask Chris about it and get back with me but I haven’t heard anything yet. All in all it seems to be a great unit with pretty even temps left to right and two heat zones top to bottom and everyone that is using them on you tube praises them and speaks of their efficiency on wood.
I wouldn’t pop for the cover, I would improvise something there, I think you are on the right track as to the grill, there are better options than that little guy for grilling, I wouldn’t want the ash pan, just the tool that pulls it all out into your clean up pan, plus if you have to clean it during a cook it’s gonna be HOT and Heavy! I might spring for the 1/2” grate, although I bet the stock one will last YEARS! Maybe 10 at least? I would get the gas assist and probe ports though, I figure the gas assist could also be used instead of wood or charcoal if you wrap your meats at all and save on wood fuel. Sorry for the long wind, I told you I have been obsessed!! ��

My vote is along the following lines - in no particular order.

Pass on the ash pan as that 1/4" plate is HEAVY and a real pain to remove, clean and replace. I fabbed one out of a full size baking sheet (aluminum) that's held up really well for multiple years and is a lot easier to use.

Pass on the cover as often times they trap as much moisture as the keep out. They're cumbersome to deal with when not being used and a good fitting one is a pain to put on. You have to wait until things cool down. Just not worth it IMHO (typing from experience with other custom fit covers)

Pass on the internal charcoal grate and use your BGE for those style of cooks. Even the firebox grilling option never really worked for me compared to a regular charcoal cooker. Seems to me that building a charcoal fire in the smoking chamber would compromise the nice seasoning you work so hard to get with an offset in the first place. No real experience in this regard - just sorta using common sense.

Do seriously consider the 8" wheel upgrade. My offset (larger and heavier) would not move without them and even though mine stays parked if I need to move it I can. Easier to get them now rather than later. Even with plywood decking to roll across the grass it was a significant effort to move mine but insulated fireboxes add weight.

Fire grate is your call... If you keep your smoker cleaned from ash you'll likely not need the upgrade - the 1/2" version (again) is HEAVY. I'd save that option for the last if you have monies left over.

OK... So what I highly recommend is the gas-assist option. This makes things so much easier. Yes, you have to be careful (common sense) and there are plenty of other ways of doing business but I've had gas assist on all three of my offsets and absolutely recommend their inclusion in "options".

Good luck and post up your decision, whichever way it goes.

Last edited:
Hell for the price of that cover your halfway to a carport

Here are my general thoughts. As some background, I've got a LSG 30in vertical offsets with a 1/2" Firebox and a warming oven

-1. The cover. Should I really pop $272 for the custom cover, or would a $20 heavy duty tarp do the job just fine?

I don't have a cover for mine at all. I live in East Texas and I was a little concerned with humidity and the cover making a good environment for mold to grow. I've got some surface rust in a few spots but Im not sure a cover would have stopped that.

-2. I love that I have the option to grill and griddle on the firebox, but for larger grill-cooks, how well does the grill grate insert for the main chamber work? It's $85, which I could put towards a Weber kettle instead. I currently have a Big Green Egg that I was thinking of selling once this comes in, but that would be a bit of hassle to get rid of. I suppose I could just keep the Egg for grilling. Argh, decisions.
---2A. On the other hand, would a separate grill really be necessary? How well does an offset do at cooking up burgers, hot dogs, pork chops, steaks, and such in the main chamber? I can just do the sear on the grill part of the firebox, right?

The warming oven killed the the grill top for me but I think I'd probably rather have a dedicated grill like a kettle or something else if I was wanting to just grill.

-3. Wheels. This isn't going to be moved too much. Once it's in the backyard, it will be stored up against the house, and then rolled a few feet into the middle of the patio when I cook with it. Do the upgraded 8" wheels make a big difference for moving it? I like that they have locks on them, but I have enough unused cinderblocks and garden stepstones lying around from the house's previous owners to use as chocks for the wheels so it doesn't roll off on its own.

I think the 5" wheels are probably fine on the 20in models. I upgraded mine but mine weighs something stupid like 1800 pounds so the bigger wheels are kind of nice but I doubt needed on the smaller offsets.

-4. Internal ash pan. Does it make really make it that much easier to clean out the firebox?

I got one with mine and Im gonna say yes but not for the reasons most people probably think of. I use an AshVac to clean out my fire box. The ash pan allows me to pull it like 3/4 of the way out and let the fire grate kind of hold it place while I vacuum it out. They in general are really heavy so I can't see myself taking it out, walking across the yard with it, and then dumping it out. I think the ones on the 24" models weigh close to 40 lbs but I think they are very handy in the scenario I described. They also have the added benefit of adding an extra 1/4" to the bottom of your firebox which can't be a bad thing.

-5. 1/2" fire grate. I like the words "lifetime warranty", but is there really a danger of the standard grate rusting/wearing out?

If the standard grate was just expanded metal, I would say for sure upgrade but it looks like the standard ones are just like the 1/2" but laser cut out of 1/4" instead. I really like my 1/2" grate but if you keep your firebox cleaned out, that 1/4" is gonna last a really long time. With that said, I'd probably still get the 1/2" just because its going to last forever. :grin:

The 8" wheels will raise the cooking surface which for an 'ol back gimp like me is a good thing. I have the ash pan and clean my fire box out with a small ShoVac like Tannhauser42 does. My firebox is insulated so the ash pan is really not needed from a protection standpoint, but I like have extra toys. The 1/2 inch fire grate will last a thousand years.

I would ask Chris if he can make an ash pan out of 1/8 or 1/16. My shirley ash pan is great but heavy as all get out. I have also made some ash pans out of flat sheets of aluminum you can but at HD or Lowe's. They will never rust and are easy to cut and bend. The ash weighs more than the pan after a cook. Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The options I think you need are 1/2” grate, pull handle, 8” wheels if you’re going to move it much on grass. Ash pan if you aren’t handy enough to make your own. Get the ash rake and forget the poker. The ash rake can do both jobs quite well. It’s a well made beast of a tool.

Cover= guaranteed mold. It is vinyl and does not breath. Get you a tarp. I learned this the hard way.

Fire starter is nice but I got a Cajun Dragon that does the exact same job for less than half the money and you can use it for other burning chores since it’s portable.

1-1/4” ball valve I think is necessary but you can get one from Lowe’s or Amazon for half the cost.

Charcoal grilling basket is ok but I’d rather use my Weber 26”

Charcoal maze for the firebox is a cool thing to give you a little sleep but if you’re going that route you might as well get an IVS. JMHO

Ok, so I'm thinking I'll just use a tarp as needed, and get the half inch fire grate and upgraded wheels. Any other suggestions or advice?

Ok, so I'm thinking I'll just use a tarp as needed, and get the half inch fire grate and upgraded wheels. Any other suggestions or advice?

This definitely isn't a must have thing but I really like having the gas starter on mine. I know you can get a stand alone unit like a Cajun Dragon or one of the weed burners from Home Depot for cheaper BUT those require you to actually stand there to use them. I got the gas starter on mine and generally I will build my fire the night before and all I have to do is stumble outside the next morning while still asleep/hungover, light it and then go back in and get the meat ready. Generally speaking, by the time I finish my prep stuff inside, the pit is either good to go or pretty close to it. If I bought another pit from Chris, Id get this option again.

I'd get 8" wheels. No probe ports, no firebox grill top, no 1/2" fire grate. Tell him to trash that 1/2" fire grate and make one that will actually hold a coal bed out of expanded metal. You also don't need a 40 pound ash pan made of 1/4". Thin gauge will work just as good.

Don’t forget the pull handle. It doesn’t come with one and it’s only $20

I'd get 8" wheels. No probe ports, no firebox grill top, no 1/2" fire grate. Tell him to trash that 1/2" fire grate and make one that will actually hold a coal bed out of expanded metal. You also don't need a 40 pound ash pan made of 1/4". Thin gauge will work just as good.

The ash pan that LSG makes for the 20” I believe is 11 gage steel.

This definitely isn't a must have thing but I really like having the gas starter on mine. I know you can get a stand alone unit like a Cajun Dragon or one of the weed burners from Home Depot for cheaper BUT those require you to actually stand there to use them. I got the gas starter on mine and generally I will build my fire the night before and all I have to do is stumble outside the next morning while still asleep/hungover, light it and then go back in and get the meat ready. Generally speaking, by the time I finish my prep stuff inside, the pit is either good to go or pretty close to it. If I bought another pit from Chris, Id get this option again.

Exactly!

Ok, I just did it. My wallet is still crying, but I did it.
20x42 offset, with ash rake, ball valve, 8" wheels, and pull handle. The shipping to Fort Worth, TX, including residential lift gate delivery, was just shy of $300. Currently an 8 week wait time to get one of these. There was a little issue with the website unable to load the shipping method page (tried different browsers), so I had to call in my order. Otherwise, no problems.
I decided to skip on the 1/2" fire grate to keep the final price below $2500, and I decided to pass on the probe ports.
Anyway, now I get to start counting the days until it arrives, and plan on how to reveal it to the wife. This is a surprise, an "ask forgiveness rather than permission" kind of thing. Hopefully, the look I'll get won't be fatal.
And what shall I cook first in it? I've never done a full packer brisket before, maybe I'll splurge on a prime brisket to try out for the first time.

Ok, I just did it. My wallet is still crying, but I did it.
20x42 offset, with ash rake, ball valve, 8" wheels, and pull handle. The shipping to Fort Worth, TX, including residential lift gate delivery, was just shy of $300. Currently an 8 week wait time to get one of these. There was a little issue with the website unable to load the shipping method page (tried different browsers), so I had to call in my order. Otherwise, no problems.
I decided to skip on the 1/2" fire grate to keep the final price below $2500, and I decided to pass on the probe ports.
Anyway, now I get to start counting the days until it arrives, and plan on how to reveal it to the wife. This is a surprise, an "ask forgiveness rather than permission" kind of thing. Hopefully, the look I'll get won't be fatal.
And what shall I cook first in it? I've never done a full packer brisket before, maybe I'll splurge on a prime brisket to try out for the first time.

Congrats!!! You guys that do this stuff and then drop the surprise on your wives when it shows up... ya’ll are loco! [emoji15]

Congratulations on the new cooker. The longest 8 weeks of your life... Will love meeting with you and sharing your excitement at the Texas Spring Bash.

Back