Hot and fast spares

Smokey Al Gold

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I haven't posted in a while so I figured what the heck. Cooked up these spares last night on the kettle so I could have a good b-day meal. It was a 2.5lb ish rack of st. louis spares. I did a mustard slather and seasoned them well with Julio's Seasoning. I cooked them indirect on the kettle with royal oak lump and few chunks of cherry. Cooked hot and fast at 425-450 for 1.5 hrs. I then sprayed them with worcestershire sauce and foiled them for 30 mins. Total cook time of 2 hours. These were AWESOME. They rendered great and were so good I wish I had more. Unfortunately I only have 3 left and I will eat them at lunch time. So you can make a great spare in 2 hours if you are lazy like I am.

pics002.jpg

pics003.jpg

pics005.jpg

pics006.jpg

Bend test
pics011.jpg

Nice smoke ring
pics014.jpg

pics017.jpg

Dang, Al, that's some heat! It wouldn't pay to take a magazine into the bathroom and go too long on the cook, would it? ;)

Great looking wibs!

Dang, Al, that's some heat! It wouldn't pay to take a magazine into the bathroom and go too long on the cook, would it? ;)

Great looking wibs!

Kettle's can cook lower than 400? I thought it was either on high or it was off :becky: JK I do cook lower and slower but only on weekends when I have time. It seems I'm always in a rush. Next time I'll cook the spares at 900 degrees. :thumb:

They do look good. Haven't really tried the hot&fast way on anything, thinking I might have to.

Kettle's can cook lower than 400? I thought it was either on high or it was off :becky: JK I do cook lower and slower but only on weekends when I have time. It seems I'm always in a rush. Next time I'll cook the spares at 900 degrees. :thumb:

Next thing, you'll be using the microwave!!! :becky::boxing:

Hmmmmmm . . . haven't been that impressed with my ribs the last couple of times. Will check this out.

I had an experience with hot and fast once too. I had a package of cheap spares, and the first piece I tried the 3-2-1 method and absolutely turned them into charcoal. I was so upset that I said, "screw it" and cooked the next set on my traeger at 400 for 1.5 hours - and these ribs were AWESOME.

Belated Happy Birthday Al, Hope it was a good one! Your ribs look killer.. :cool:

Back