Help me spend $500ish dollars

Brad4450

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Morning everyone! Hard to believe spring time is right around the corner here in MI when I look out the window but warm weather, beer and prime bbq weather is right around the corner!

I joined the Shirley wait list back in September so I figure I've probably still got about 2 years to go before I'm road tripping it down to Alabama. Wife gave me the go ahead to get something to play with in the meantime. I'm torn between buying a 22" WSM and looking for a small stick burner to play with ahead getting the big dog. I'm looking around for something like a used Lang patio to see what the market would be on something like that.

Any and all suggestions you fine folks might have would be appreciated. Not sold on anything at this point in time and I know you guys like spending other peoples money! :rockon:

Heck spend it on meat and come on down for a few weekends, I have several Lang cooker's we use for catering and I cook on a Shirley at the house.

I keep a commercial vac sealer at the house for leftovers, you can vac wrap enough fresh smoked brisket to hold you over until the Shirley Fab is ready.

Heck spend it on meat and come on down for a few weekends, I have several Lang cooker's we use for catering and I cook on a Shirley at the house.

I keep a commercial vac sealer at the house for leftovers, you can vac wrap enough fresh smoked brisket to hold you over until the Shirley Fab is ready.

Well, that sounds like a fun weekend! But getting to play around with smoking meat on the weekends is what I'm after. If all the meat's already cooked in the freezer my wife is going to fill my time with more "honey do's"

Are those PK360s still on sale for $450 on Amazon? If not, I'd probably grab an Old Country Pecos for 399 at Academy.

Well, that sounds like a fun weekend! But getting to play around with smoking meat on the weekends is what I'm after. If all the meat's already cooked in the freezer my wife is going to fill my time with more "honey do's"

I'd be all over one of those 1/4" welded Old Country offset pit's from academy, do Aaron Franklin's thermometer modification and add in 2 Tel-Tru's that actually work and you can swap them over to the Shirley when it's ready.

I like the idea off the used stuck burner, because you will get the experience in, to prepare for down the road. However a WSM is a great cooker to have! You will be able to work on recipes and food you can cook after you get the stick burner. Dont know about all prices, but if you save a few more $$, you can get a large selection of Old Country smokers or others, that will be smaller pits to get experience.

I'd be all over one of those 1/4" welded Old Country offset pit's from academy, do Aaron Franklin's thermometer modification and add in 2 Tel-Tru's that actually work and you can swap them over to the Shirley when it's ready.

Would love to but I think the 1/4" model is $1000. More than I'm able to spend at the moment I'm afraid.

I think the Pecos is the same size as the Brazos, but thinner gauge. Weighs about 200 lbs less. That’s the price difference between the two ($400 vs $1000)

My local Academy had the Old Country vertical smokehouse marked down from $700 to $500. I have the over/under and love it also.

Would love to but I think the 1/4" model is $1000. More than I'm able to spend at the moment I'm afraid.

I see the Pecos model at $399.00 is still all welded, and they got the exhaust stack outlet in the right place.

With some decent thermometers in the right places you could make some awesome Q on that burning sticks.

I have 2 brand new River Country 3" T-Stats off my Shirley you can have, that would be an awesome little set up for the money till the SF is ready to pick up.

Check to see if any of your Walmarts have any remaining OKJoe stickburners on clearance.

Check to see if any of your Walmarts have any remaining OKJoe stickburners on clearance.

Based on his forum location there are some nice deals.

tNtSjb1.png

Got a couple of used wsm 22.5 with stainless steel upgrades on the door and hinge for lid. Digiq temp controller included. Upgrades are from Cajun bandit.

Selling for $500. Check out on sales section if interested. Pictures over there. My in laws live in Michigan so it could possibly work for logistics depending on timing of you wanting smoker.

PM with questions. Thanks.

07d7ae4e59eafaba312dc6b570f46a48.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back