Storing Comp Sauce

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hey,

When I'm BBQ'ing at home I don't use the same sauce that we use at a competition. That being the case, I was wondering what you do with your leftover sauce?

We probably bought too much last year for a single comp (or even three). It was one of those huge jug deals. So, what to do with the leftover?

I'd certainly prefer to take it home, throw it in the fridge and use it for the next competition, but I'm concerned about how long you can safely store opened BBQ sauce in the fridge.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Eric

BBQ Sauce generally has a very long shelf life, as in years. The sugar and vinegar act to preserve everything else. It's hard to say without knowing exactly what you use, but odds are it can be kept at least as long as ketchup, and I've had some old ketchup. I'd be more concerned with flavours fading than food spoiling, but I still think you have six months before you worry about that.

dmp

I had a gallon jug of Blues Hog in my refrigerator for almost 18 months and it was fine.

If you are concerned you could always freeze it and then move it to the fridge a week before the comp.

Unless you are competing in the next week or so I would use it or give it away and just buy another bottle when the next contest rolls around.

I agree, it will keep for quite a while in the fridge. I have found as said, that I my opinion, it does loose flavor, and if not sealed well, will possibly soak up some strange odors and flavors from other items in the fridge..... you could always use it up for everyday stuff and buy new for the next comp..... then it won't be wasted.

We make just enough to use for our comp meats...we normally have very little (if any) leftover...:cool:

I get Blues hog by the gallon. When I open it up, I sanitize 2 qt and 4 pt jars and transfer it into them. I dont reseal the jars in a water bath. I just like them in smaller containers to keep them from getting oxidized.

Back