Left My Brisket Out

dconder1

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Last night I put out a 10 pound trimmed brisket to thaw on the counter in its cryo package. Had it in the sink no water or anything. I completely forgot till this morning that it was there. I get mixed results when doing searches so I thought I'd ask the Brethren. Is it still safe to smoke and eat. It's in the smoker now but I don't want anyone getting sick.

It really depends on how long the surface temp of the meat was in the danger zone (above 40F. I suspect that it was more that a couple of hours. Since it was in the cryovac it's probably fine, but meat is cheap compared to doctor bills. If it were me I'd buy another brisket.

Meat is Cheap.
Doctors are Expensive.
Friends and Family are Priceless. 8)

Your call.
Good Luck.

TIM

dconder, what time did you get it out to thaw and how long had it sat out before you put it on the smoker?

My feeling is this: Unless by "last night" you meant you got it out of the fridge at 5pm and left it out until "this morning" at 9am... you're gonna be fine. I mean, there are plenty of guys who say they let their pork shoulders sit out and come to "room temp" before smoking. Also, you say it was in the cryo, not just sitting out in open air or sitting in a sink of warm water all night.

You'll be fine, bud. Smoke it and ship it to me on dry ice if you need a guinea pig.

I probably took it out of the freezer around 7:00 pm frozen hard as a rock. It just sat in the sink in its package till 7:00 this morning. It was not in water in the sink. Just sitting in an empty sink. I opened it up rinsed it off, rubbed it down good and threw it in the smoker.

You realize we won't really believe you actually cooked a brisket unless there's photos...:razz:

A note of precaution...

If the same piece was left out at a restaurant overnight... would've been trashed by now.

I would err on the side of caution.

So, I would have brought another brisket, but cooked that first one and ate it myself.

But I'm weird like that.

A note of precaution...

If the same piece was left out at a restaurant overnight... would've been trashed by now.

I agree with this.
It is not the proper way to defrost meat.
I pull my frozen meat out of the freezer and into the firdge usually 2-3 days before I want to cook it. It gives it plenty of time to defrost the proper way, and there are no concerns about safety.

Back