MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:33 AM   #1
Qbert60
Take a breath!

Default New Catering Calculator, Buns question, and side serving

I have been using SoEzzy's catering calculator for some time. I find it pretty easy to understand. However, I would like to make changes to the sides and such. Is there a way to do that? OR does anyone have something better that they like using that they wouldn't mind sharing?

When dropping off or providing onsite cooking, we have been buying standard size hamburger buns from Gordon foods. I have toy'd with the idea of providing slider buns in side to help control portions. Anyone done this? Can anyone share advice?

Lastly, we catered a wedding 2 weeks ago. It pretty much went off without a hitch, with one exception. This is the first time that I have witnessed the older crowd stocking up on sides to the point where the last table released still got some, but we ran out. Is there a serving utensil suggestion?

Old 08-31-2018, 12:58 PM   #2
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Yes small serving utensils and smaller plates help as well. You still need to be prepared for this to happen though. If you don't mind me asking, how many people were you feeding and how much of each food item did you prepare? It's possible that you just didn't prepare enough. For instance we find a 2" hotel pan of baked beans will feed 60-75 people but the same size and amount of mac n cheese will only feed 35 people when both are on a self serve buffet.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:38 AM   #3
Qbert60
Take a breath!

Thanks for your response.

Is it possible? Absolutely unfortunately. My partner quoted the price. He forgot that we had made an agreement that any party over 100 people gets quoted a per person price. He quoted a per pan price.

example: pulled pork for 140, chicken for 120, and sides for 100. The groom thought the sides wouldn't go as fast.

We didn't have control over the plates. They were nice ceramic plates provided by the venue. Bottom line is we planned for what the groom ordered, but probably should have planned for 15-20% more just in case.

Lesson learned. I think. :)
Old 09-02-2018, 07:03 PM   #4
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

When I was much younger and catered, I would have servers for the first time through the line, then they could serve themselves for seconds.

And as mentioned above, smaller plates will help, people tend to eat with their eyes as the navigate the serving line, thus creating a lot of waste with a larger plate.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote