• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cold weather and UDS

energyzer

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
How much does the cold weather effect a UDS. I'm planning on smoking a turkey this weekend, but the daytime high is 44*, which means it will be in the low 30*s when I start. Does this pose any problems holding heat. Will it burn more charcoal to keep the heat up?

Mine rocks steady and the temps stay stable as for burning more fuel I really don't know as I always have some left over both summer and winter. Wind is more of a problem for some people but I only have two intakes so I don't have to bounce around trying to meter three or four.

Mine rocks steady and the temps stay stable as for burning more fuel I really don't know as I always have some left over both summer and winter. Wind is more of a problem for some people.

^^^^^+1 on that

No issue all winter long:wink:

The only problem I have in cold temps is with the wind.....and that usually means that I have to close intakes because it is getting too much air and spiking the temperatures.

I have started setting up a cinder block wall around my barrel that keeps out the wind and it has made a huge difference in keeping the temperature steady. I smoked two pork butts last weekend when the temp was in the 30's before the wind chill and it stayed steady at 225.

I've had to dig out my drum from 12 in of snow then fire it up in the 20's. 45 minutes later, right at 250 and ready to rock.

Jeff

Who in their right mind would be out in the 30's?:laugh:
I play golf when the temps are in the 30's, I like to see shots hit the green and then bounce twenty feet in the air!

I'll be manning my UDS every weekend until it is so cold my beer freezes solid.

I just hauled my uds up to PA to smoke up some butts and the temp at 3 a.m. was hovering around 29* and the UDS was a champ. Climbed right up to operating temps as normal and chugged right along and didn't seem to mind the outside temp at all.

What part of NE?

I'll second that the wind is a bigger factor in cold weather smoking on the UDS. I actually think a UDS is easier to dial in with a colder ambient air temp.

temp on UDS

I'm planning on doing a test cook on sunday or monday then the turkey on thursday. I have trouble getting my UDS to keep temp in hot and warm weather. I'm really worried what it will do in cold and windy.

Jason

I have a detached garage with the OH door facing the south and a walk door facing the north. (the wifes garage) i usually just open the doors and put my smokers inside the OH door. this keeps it out of the wind but lets a subtle wind blow through from the walk through door (adjusting the walk door depending on the wind)to keep it from getting too smokey. no rain, light wind, and my wife says she has the best smelling garage in the world.

i live in one of the windier parts of SoDak, and anybody that has ever been here will attest to the fact that we know wind. as far as cold goes i have been looking for a jacket for my UDS. i used to have an old wool army blanket that i put over my COS to help in the winter. any suggestions. ( by cold weather i am talking about real cold, not a balmy 30 like some have mentioned.:p)

Back