MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete
Default Prototype Vertical Smoker

I just received this smoker from Texas Longhorn BBQ Pits. After going over every single detail with Carlos for days this is what he built for me. It is 20"x52" and all 1/4". I think we made the legs too tall. I can barely reach the smoke stack but then again I am under 6ft. Other than that I am very pleased. Let me know what you guys think. I was wondering if the stack should go on the side instead of the top??? It cost a little less than a WSM 22.5. Guages are extra and he hand delivered it for $100 from Uvalde, Tx to Belton, Tx. He was delivering several smokers to his dealers in the Dallas area with my smoker on the trailer. They all wanted to buy my smoker. He took a few orders and will be building more this week with shorter legs. I do not know if the price is set for sure. Like I said, this was the first one he has built like this and the first one I have ever seen. It is a really simple idea. We just took the smoker off the end of one of his pits and added legs and a door at the bottom big enough to fit the charcoal box I made for my Texas Smokemaster (thanks to instructions from this site). The firebox door is 14"x9".

I got it seasoned and cooked a small brisket to test it out. Temp rises quickly and holds steady. With just 7 or 8 chimneys of lump (maybe 8-10lbs) and a several wood chunks it stayed between 225-250 until I removed the brisket 13 hours later.

Last edited by pjtexas1; 09-16-2016 at 02:52 PM..
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Looks cool. You should be able to add a swivel arm to the smoke stack damper so you can reach it.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
pjtexas1

After all the careful planning you would think that I would have thought of that. Looks like I just found my first mod. Thanks!

Old 10-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
SmittyJonz

I like it and might even buy one if good price but if I had a choice I'd rather have 24-26" pipe and 48" tall.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Looks like he did a great job....... congrats.
RT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
peeps

very cool!
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
pjtexas1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
I like it and might even buy one if good price but if I had a choice I'd rather have 24-26" pipe and 48" tall.
Carlos can build that for you. He is really easy to work with. I seriously considered getting mine shorter but we ended up going with his standard size. Give him a call and tell him Paul from Belton sent you.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Nice rig. Do you have a baffle plate between the firebox & cook chamber? we put a 5/16 plate in ours - I'm convinced it is what makes it work so well. You will be happy with how much you can cook with such a small footprint.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice looking rig!

Does the flue protrude into the cooking chamber? If so, how far??

Thanks!
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153650[/URL]

"[COLOR=Navy]When it comes right down to it, you just want to be surrounded by good people and good food."[/COLOR]-Chuck Hughes
Thermal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
pjtexas1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
Nice rig. Do you have a baffle plate between the firebox & cook chamber? we put a 5/16 plate in ours - I'm convinced it is what makes it work so well. You will be happy with how much you can cook with such a small footprint.
Thanks! I put a 13" ceramic pizza stone pan on the bottom rack right about the fire. Would that work the same?

Old 10-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #11
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

why? Just build a UDS with adjustable racks and side firebox
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #12
pjtexas1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
Carlos said $529 for a 24" x 48" smoker plus $1 per mile for delivery. If he will be in your area he might be able to cut you a better deal on delivery.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #13
pjtexas1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal Mass View Post
Nice looking rig!

Does the flue protrude into the cooking chamber? If so, how far??

Thanks!
It does not protude into the cooking chamber at all. I did not think about this. Does it make a difference?

Old 10-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #14
pjtexas1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerKing View Post
why? Just build a UDS with adjustable racks and side firebox
I almost went the UDS route but I wanted something that was different. I also almost bought a WSM. In the end this was I really wanted. I may eventually end up with a UDS. I think it would be nice to cook on something I built myself. I do tend to buy a pit every year.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #15
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
It does not protude into the cooking chamber at all. I did not think about this. Does it make a difference?
I was curious because it sounds like from your first cook that it moderates temps fairly well with moderate fuel usage...

It just struck me that if it was flush with the ceiling of the unit that it would "over breath" leading to fluctuating temps and high fuel consumption.

Many offset smoker (non RF) owners extend the flue into the cooking chamber for better temp control and more even heat across the grate(s).

May be something to play around with, a split coffee can is what most use.

I am no expert, just curious and chiming in. Thanks!
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153650[/URL]

"[COLOR=Navy]When it comes right down to it, you just want to be surrounded by good people and good food."[/COLOR]-Chuck Hughes
Thermal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->