MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #31
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

I liked it so much, I purchased two. Not junk.
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #32
Jamey
Found some matches.

I'm doing my burn in now! Heck with the pics...here's a video to show yas what I did so far.

Jamey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #33
Jamey
Found some matches.

Burn in is holding steady at 375.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #34
bb0bbby
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Cant wait to see how the logos hold up. Thanks for the vid

Old 09-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #35
Jamey
Found some matches.

You're welcome! It's 2000 degree header paint. I am very curious to see how the color holds up as well.

One note...I noticed one of the bolts on one of the leg supports that goes is broke off. They must have over tightened it. I will try to extract and replace it.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #36
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb0bbby View Post
Mine held great for quite awhile too. Then I started cooking pizzas at high temps on it & soon after I realized the paint on the ash pan was changing colors due to the high heat. I then did the expanded metal mod to keep the small lump from sitting directly in the pan. Now my bottom gasket is 'crunchy' and sticking to the ash pan after any decent cook. I have a noticeable draft from the ash pan gasket & realize it is time to replace.

No assumptions here...

Maybe that's it-I never heat mine up to copper-smelting temps. I've tried the high-temp pizza that's the going thing, but I honestly greatly prefer mine with a thick crust that's crispy on the outside and soft inside instead of the thin crunchy pizza that everybody else seems to like. I like my pizza cooked at around 400-450*. That's about the hottest I ever get mine, if I want to sear a steak or something that requires really high heat, I can do it a lot quicker and easier in my barrel grill with an adjustable coal grate. To me, the Akorn shines at long, low-temp cooks, or for cooking stuff like chicken and such at medium temps, or for baking stuff. I have better options for high-temp.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #37
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaws on Pigs View Post
Maybe that's it-I never heat mine up to copper-smelting temps. I've tried the high-temp pizza that's the going thing, but I honestly greatly prefer mine with a thick crust that's crispy on the outside and soft inside instead of the thin crunchy pizza that everybody else seems to like. I like my pizza cooked at around 400-450*. That's about the hottest I ever get mine, if I want to sear a steak or something that requires really high heat, I can do it a lot quicker and easier in my barrel grill with an adjustable coal grate. To me, the Akorn shines at long, low-temp cooks, or for cooking stuff like chicken and such at medium temps, or for baking stuff. I have better options for high-temp.
I'm still in the "drool-yet-resist" stage, but I imagine GrillGrates would be an excellent investment for a Komodo owner..
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2012, 03:26 AM   #38
Zork
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osx-addict View Post
I've got three of these ceramic dudes.. Love all of them..
Actually the Kamado is not ceramic. It is double insulated steel. But still the same concept as the ceramics

Sent from my
Galaxy S3
Zork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2012, 06:09 PM   #39
Jamey
Found some matches.

Oh it still gets warm on the outside...just nowhere as bad as a conventional grill.

Tags
acorn, burn in, char-griller, football, Kamado, lowes, paint