• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Is this a fair justification for cost of a UDS to a friend

colonel00

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
So I have a buddy that wants to buy a UDS from me and I also have some inquiries from coworkers. I have never really thought about it before so I decided to put pen to paper (read: finger to mouse) and try to figure up a fair price list. I am not looking to sell UDS's commerically and I don't want to gouge these people with the cost. In an effort to be fair to myself and them I threw together a spreadsheet to actually list out the costs of what I consider a "standard" UDS with a Weber lid. Granted, I know this does not include wear on tools, labor, welding wire, etc. but for a friend I can handle that as part of the fun is me getting to build one. Most of these costs are estimates but I think they are close. What say the Brethren? Anything of substance I am forgetting? Would rounding to $200 to account for wear on tools and such be fair?

UDSCost.png

I just finished my first UDS build and it cost well under $100. There may be a few factors to play considering location and prices but... I think there are ways to make it cheaper. Instead of buying a brand new lid for $30. You could get on CL and get a used weber grill for anywhere under 50 bucks and that would come with lid, ashpan, grill grate and charcoal grate. There are ways around making things cheaper other than paying brand new full price.

Why not give every one interested ia a UDS a list of all materials needed and have them buy the materials.Then on a designated day have a UDS building party with you providing the knowledge.Every gets to build their own and you have an excuse to get together and drink some beer.

he's doing a few "upgraded options" from a UDS. I think that should be just right. I charged 125 for a build, with no webber lid and one grate. Came out almost to the dime. I think you've got a fair price there if you're not going to charge for labor. (I didnt, as the UDS is actually for ME, but someone else paid for it to keep at our hunting property :thumb:)

Why not give every one interested ia a UDS a list of all materials needed and have them buy the materials.Then on a designated day have a UDS building party with you providing the knowledge.Every gets to build their own and you have an excuse to get together and drink some beer.

Good Idea!!!

Lots of fun too!

Last edited:
Unlined barrels can be bought here in KC for $25 I think you are on the right track for everything else. I mass produce them for our drum classes so I am able to keep the cost down to $200 for the class with a drum to take home. With that being said your drums have lots more features than our standard drum class. Hinged dome lids, extra rack and thermometers add a lot of value and appeal to your drums plus that fancy KU one you got is PRICELESS! The enjoyment you get from building one for a buddy far out weighs the cost of labor in my opinion, I think you are giving him a great deal.

I just finished my first UDS build and it cost well under $100. There may be a few factors to play considering location and prices but... I think there are ways to make it cheaper. Instead of buying a brand new lid for $30. You could get on CL and get a used weber grill for anywhere under 50 bucks and that would come with lid, ashpan, grill grate and charcoal grate. There are ways around making things cheaper other than paying brand new full price.

You are correct that some of the parts from a Weber CL purchase can be reused. I always get my Weber stuff from CL so the $30 cost was a rough estimate as I see them ranging from $20-$40. However, usually I have found that the cheap Webers on CL have rusted out grill grates that I would not want to give to someone.

You are also correct in the fact that costs can be lessened in some areas. However, I do not want to sacrifice quality for cost savings. I could go to Walmart and get one of their grates but they are substantially smaller in metal gauge and I have seen them bend and warp. I don't disagree that someone could build a very inexpensive UDS that mirrors the core essense of what a UDS is supposed to be. But, if it is something I am producing for a friend or coworker, I take pride in it and want it to look good and function well.

I have done that before and it worked out to a point. I did it for just one guy and he gathered up the materials but I still built it for him. Sadly, most of these people don't really have the interest in building it and are content with just having me do it. I am fine with that as I do enjoy building them as it allows me to experiment with new ideas. Also, I have already build one for a coworker and just haven't given him a cost.

he's doing a few "upgraded options" from a UDS. I think that should be just right. I charged 125 for a build, with no webber lid and one grate. Came out almost to the dime. I think you've got a fair price there if you're not going to charge for labor. (I didnt, as the UDS is actually for ME, but someone else paid for it to keep at our hunting property :thumb:)

That is correct. Take off the Weber lid, hinges, 2nd grate, etc and the cost comes down to just about $110.

This is what I would do if I were your friends. For $15 more, Shane will not only help them build a UDS, but will also teach them how to cook with it. I think this is the best offer around for a UDS and its not that far away from where you live.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119528&highlight=moocow

I agree. Those classes are a great idea.

Unlined barrels can be bought here in KC for $25 I think you are on the right track for everything else. I mass produce them for our drum classes so I am able to keep the cost down to $200 for the class with a drum to take home. With that being said your drums have lots more features than our standard drum class. Hinged dome lids, extra rack and thermometers add a lot of value and appeal to your drums plus that fancy KU one you got is PRICELESS! The enjoyment you get from building one for a buddy far out weighs the cost of labor in my opinion, I think you are giving him a great deal.

Where are you getting your barrels from? I believe someone referred A-1 to me before but I haven't had a chance to call them.

Yeah, it is fun and usually I throw in a personal twist by adding one some sort of cart or extra things that give me an excuse to weld some crap together and be creative. Right now I have two cooking carts that I don't really need but built because I was bored and wanted something to do.

I'm having more fun building my brother one for Christmas than I had building my own. Seems like I pay more attention to detail since it's for someone else. No more functional but a lot cleaner (pretty welds, more grinding, better paint, upgraded handles, etc.). Found new 22 1/2” grates at menards.com for $7.49 (shipping was $11.50 though L).

Here's my cost breakdown:

Barrell - $8.00
Expanded Metal - $8.30 (1/3 of a piece I purchase for $25)
Grates (3) - $30 (I’m using two for food racks and one to hold a heat diffuser)
Charcoal Grate - $10 (new “beefier" weber charcoal grate)
Lid - $10 (thrift store score!)
Hardware - $20
Paint - $6
Ball Valve - $14

Total - $106.30

I'm having more fun building my brother one for Christmas than I had building my own. Seems like I pay more attention to detail since it's for someone else. No more functional but a lot cleaner (pretty welds, more grinding, better paint, upgraded handles, etc.). Found new 22 1/2” grates at menards.com for $7.49 (shipping was $11.50 though L).

Here's my cost breakdown:

Barrell - $8.00
Expanded Metal - $8.30 (1/3 of a piece I purchase for $25)
Grates (3) - $30 (I’m using two for food racks and one to hold a heat diffuser)
Charcoal Grate - $10 (new “beefier" weber charcoal grate)
Lid - $10 (thrift store score!)
Hardware - $20
Paint - $6
Ball Valve - $14

Total - $106.30

Where are you getting your expanded metal? I have gotten some from metal fab shops but usually it is the #13 I believe and a pain to work with. Hardware stores carry the 24" x 24" stuff but that is $20. I have seen where people order off of amazon but not sure how well it works and which type it is.

Might want to include 2 cans of high temp primer.

I have actually done pretty good without needing primer. I just use engine enamel from an auto parts store and it holds up fine.

You have three things on your spreadsheet with 0 quantity therefore no cost. The thermometer being the biggest one.

I picked up a pretty good piece of expanded metal drop from a metal shop around town. Around a 4 x 3 piece of the 13 gauge for around $25. Just work it around the grate as you weld. I clamped it and held it on the ground to get it started.

You have three things on your spreadsheet with 0 quantity therefore no cost. The thermometer being the biggest one.

Yeah, those are options that have either been used in the past or might be wanted by the interested coworkers. The quantities listed are what my buddy wants which mirrors my main UDS. I just added the other options in the spreadsheet so I can easily change the quantities to see the changes in costs.

You're a smart guy, I like your style. I'm in.

Brad, I think it's a fair price. You're not taking advantage of anyone at that price. Kinda have a hankerin to build one for myself. Winter is coming and it would keep me out of the wifes hair for awhile at least.

Brad, I think it's a fair price. You're not taking advantage of anyone at that price. Kinda have a hankerin to build one for myself. Winter is coming and it would keep me out of the wifes hair for awhile at least.

Do it. Almost finished with mine. The feeling of making something and actually using it is awesome! Got mine all together an painted. Gonna break it in this weekend. Can't wait!

Back