MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Reverse Sear on a UDS

Has any one tried doing a reverse sear on a UDS?

I thought I'd smoke a Tri-Tip on a UDS and then open all of the intakes and take the lid off to get it hot enough to sear.

Thoughts?
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Toney Marconi
Full Fledged Farker

I doubt you'd be able to get it hot enough.
Toney Marconi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toney Marconi View Post
I doubt you'd be able to get it hot enough.
Really? Even with the lid off AND all of the intakes open? That thing gets hot just taking the lid off....But that's why I'm asking.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Is there anyway you can set the charcoal basket higher? I have the option on my UDS to place a grate right above the charcoal basket for a diffuser or water pan. Also serves the purpose of elevating the basket to just bellow the cooking grates so I can hit grilling temps. That would certainly work for your situation if that option is available to you.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
$billBBQ
On the road to being a farker

With all the vents I have gotten my drum over. 450. How close is your grate to the fire or maybe drop a smaller grate on the top of your fire box

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
Toney Marconi
Full Fledged Farker

I smoked a big assed Ribeye on the UDS and finished it off on my gasser. The thermo on the gasser had started going around a second time (it tops out at 550) so I'm guessing it was close to 700 degrees. I say try it. If it doesn't get hot enough, finish it off in a hot skillet.
Toney Marconi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard

I agree on raising your firebasket. I use two half cinder blocks, either on their side if I want it lower, or on their bottoms when I do chicken on high heat, so no reason you couldn't get good results by opening the vents up all the way at the end for the final sear.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #8
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I'd say it's more practical to do this on a kettle. It sounds like a lot of hassle performing this procedure on a UDS.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #9
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Re: Reverse Sear on a UDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
I'd say it's more practical to do this on a kettle. It sounds like a lot of hassle performing this procedure on a UDS.
I haven't done much smoking on my Weber. It gets pretty warm in there. In the past I always seared on there and finished over indirect heat.

Hmmmm, thinking and writing now.... If I start my coals using the minion method on the Weber, once the meat reached the desired internal temp I could open it up to get the coals going and sear the meat. Is that how its done?

Sent from my pocket computer ( G III)

Old 03-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

I got my UDS hot enough to burn 900 degree paint off. I can easily get it to 500+, but its uncontrollable after that, there is no maintaining. It either continues to grow or you close it down.
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #11
Garrett
Babbling Farker

I have done before and it works fine, a bit of a PITA until I figured out how to get the steaks flipped over. I used a 16 gallon barrel for my fire basket and cut the top so I could set a grate on top of it. It would be easier to be able to raise the basket tho.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363455211.731358.jpg

Old 03-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #12
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BS View Post
I haven't done much smoking on my Weber. It gets pretty warm in there. In the past I always seared on there and finished over indirect heat.

Hmmmm, thinking and writing now.... If I start my coals using the minion method on the Weber, once the meat reached the desired internal temp I could open it up to get the coals going and sear the meat. Is that how its done? Sent from my pocket computer ( G III)
Yes, that shouldn't be a problem doing it on your Weber and would be easier than doing it on a UDS. I do something similar all the time on my Kingsford Oval, although I would say I wouldn't call it minion as the ratio of lit to unlit coals is about 40/60. Just keep your lower vents open about 1/3-1/2 open during the smoking phase, then open them all the way up several minutes before the final sear and you should be good to go.

You can see how I did this with a Tri-Tip HERE.

Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #13
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

I agree with raising the charcoal basket to get the heat closer to the grate. This is how we do rib eye's around here though. Smoke them to 105° internal, then remove the charcoal basket from the drum, put a cast iron grate on top and let 'er rip! Note too that I have a charcoal grate just 4" from the top of the basket just for this purpose.

Finish by pouring some butter over the top.

Always a hit and quite the show too!
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #14
swamprb

I've only done faux reverse sears with Tri-Tip, Ribeyes, Flank or Flat Irons on my Mini UDS. The cook grate is 6" from the top of the drum, so its very close to the coals so I'm essentially grilling, but I'll hit them low with a good amount of smoke, then pull them @ 100-105* internal and let them rest until the temps get over 350* with all 3 intakes open and the lid off and just set them back on the grate and get flame licked.

Theres no reason you couldn't do it on a 55 gallon drum, whether doing it like Smokin' D shows or using a smaller charcoal ring and raising it higher in the drum.
I'm using the Mini Cajun Bandit Smokey Joe or the Cajun Bandit Stacker on a Performer with an indirect setup for almost all my Reverse Searing duties these days-they are made for it!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #15
Wampus

I've tried, but had a time getting the drum up to temp quickly with much control and without risking a grease fire. When I've done reverse sears on whole rib roasts or such, I either fire up the kettle for direct grilling and take the meat right off the UDS and put right over coals on the kettle to direct grill for a nice sear OR I've just had the inside oven up to 500 or so and bring the roasts right in and throw em in the oven to finish.

Believe me, I've had the UDS up to CRAZY temps before, unintentionally, but I sure didn't like how it turned out. With that nice coating of "gook" from all these years of cooking on it, I've had a grease fire. Pretty scary.