I want a new enclosed trailer

moocow

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I was wanting to sell my first home built smoker on a trailer and buy a small enclosed trailer for my new smoker. I am looking around $1000-$1500. Any suggestions or thoughts on brands- size- doors?

this is the smoker

Attachments

• bbq 005.jpg
    bbq 005.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 303
  • bbq 002.jpg
    bbq 002.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 303
  • zoo smoker 022.jpg
    zoo smoker 022.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 301
I just picked up a used 5x8 Interstate enclosed trailer for $1100, I've been looking at used ones for a while now. What cooker are you going to haul? Ramp doors are $3-500 more than single or barn doors from what I'm seeing. I'm just hauling WSM's and Drums so not a lot of weight. Wells Cargo, Haulmark, Pace and Interstate are big around here, used they run $1000-1699 depending on the options, doors, height, etc.

$1500 might be a tall (but very possible) order for an enclosed trailer that will fit your smoker and supplies. As mentioned above, 5x8's should be in that price range, but will that will be tall enough to fit your new smoker? They seem to only be about 4' tall. If you need larger, look diligently and it will show its face.

Figure out what you are going to put in the trailer and how much the stuff will weigh. Seems like most single axle trailers (either 6x10 or 6x12) have 3500 lb axles but are only rated to haul 2950 total ... and the trailer weighs about 1450 of that. Give or take a little depending on brand.

You saw what Don and I took to the Royal and that stuff pretty much packed a 6x12 - that was without the sofa and extra stuff I brought to the Royal. I'm fairly certain that we were over 3,000 lbs loaded all season long.

Vern mentioned that you are considering building mobile carts like we have. Although they are only 5' long, they would not fit width wise in a 5' wide trailer.

Keep your eyes open to CL. I found my 6x10 last year for $1700.

Good points have been made about heights. I really didn't think of it and had to cut my stack to make her fit.

Good Luck!!!

Howdy!
I bought a 6x10 trailer and we really like it. Made by East Tennessee Trailers. The floor is low to the ground, not only making it really easy to unload, but it also has some good height. I am 6 feet, and can walk around in it. We load it up pretty good and it can handle the weight.

I paid 2500, but it was new, and has served us well for 5 years doing 10 or 12 contests per year and 5 cross country trips to each the Jack and Royal. We don't need a ramp, so I much prefer the double doors in the back. I can't imagine a smaller trailer would suffice for our team right now but I am not sure of your needs.

Good luck!
Chris

dptrailer.jpg

Attachments

• dptrailer.jpg
    dptrailer.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 247
That looks like the same configuration that I have (minus the A/C on top). What I did was make up a simple set of ramps to get my Lang in and out (I didn't want a trailer smoker because I keep it next to the house and cook on her regularly)

BTW, nice looking paint job!

I plan on going the route of Nature Boy. Did you hook up the A/C or have someone do it?

I'm seeing $1500-4000 here in DFW. I was going to pick up an 6x12 I made a deal on for $800 and he called me an hour before and said he sold it for $1000. It was a great deal, but was an hour away.

I plan on going the route of Nature Boy. Did you hook up the A/C or have someone do it?

I hooked up the a/c myself. It pretty much bolts right into the vent that was on the trailer already. Took me a couple hours. That thing works like a charm too. Not only does it keep the trailer really cool, but the white noise will put you right out when it's bedtime. Plus it covers up all the noise of the late night partying outside. Before we had the a/c you could hear everything going on outside. Now all you hear is MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Seeya
Chris

What type of clearance, floor to ceiling, do enclosed trailers have? If I was to get one, I would hope to be able to stand up straight and do prep work in it when the weather is bad. I'm 6'3", so do they make them in 7' heights? I wouldn't want a huge trailer, but a 6 x 10 or 6 x 12 sounds about right.

You can get an extended height trailer, but the odds of finding one on CL is much slimmer...

You can buy them new but they are more of a custom job...

One of these days when I decide to change from a stick burner to another type of cooker I want to get a trailer. Would certainly make things easier.

I had my 5 x 10 Haulmark made for around $1700, I put the order thru internet-trailer.com, got the color to match the truck, and ready for pickup in about 3 weeks or so. Check out the website, they have factories all across the states, may be an option for ya.

What type of clearance, floor to ceiling, do enclosed trailers have? If I was to get one, I would hope to be able to stand up straight and do prep work in it when the weather is bad. I'm 6'3", so do they make them in 7' heights? I wouldn't want a huge trailer, but a 6 x 10 or 6 x 12 sounds about right.

Depends on the brand, most 6x10 and 6x12's are about 6' tall for the basic stock version - give or take an inch depending on builder. Like mentioned above, you can order them differently. Then 5x8 trailers are closer to 4'6" to 5' tall - a lot smaller type of trailer.

My last cargo was an Interstate and it was almost 6'1" in the center. I'm 6' and I could barely clear the inside without grazing my melon. Now my current trailer, a 24' Haulmark, is nearly 6'6" in the center which is great since my brother is about 6'4". *I think he'll fit under the lights and A/C unit without hitting his head.

One of these days when I decide to change from a stick burner to another type of cooker I want to get a trailer. Would certainly make things easier.

I put my Lang 60 (patio) in my trailer. I had to cut off the stack though... I made up a sleeve to rejoin them... I like the fact that I can fit all of what I need for a comp into the trailer..

There's several manufacturers out there that make a 6' 6" interior height in a 6x10 or 6x12 trailer.

Thanks for all the info guys. I just want to haul and store our junk. (smoker 28x36x60- prep table -chairs -coolers-other stuff) We do not need to walk around in it. Ramp would be nice but not a deal breaker.

Here's one I'm considering. It's 6x12 with tandem axles and elec brakes. The door is more than large enough to fit a large egg through. I'm on a tight budget this year and hope that this might work for a season or 2. I'll still have some $ to do some renovations. And it's 7ft tall inside. Like Nature Boy, I plan on an A/C. Either top mount or portable. And this one is about $1000 cheaper than the other's I'm finding. I might just have to do without barn style doors and a side door for now.
trailer.jpg

Last edited:
Back