MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:13 AM   #1
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Default Selling Rubs and Sauces

All, I am just in the thinking stage right now, but I have came up with one question that I need some help with. Do you guys and gals that sell your rubs and sauces have Insurance for that ? I have been asking my Insurance agent and they keep asking if I have any experience in the Food Industry and I tell them I do not have any formal training. I would not go into a venture like that without being covered by something. Any thoughts or ideas ??

Thanks!!
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2006, 10:39 AM   #2
kickassbbq
is One Chatty Farker

I suggest that if you sell ANYTHING food related to the general public, GET INSURANCE.
Remember, you are selling to people!!!! And, some of them are idiots and sue happy.
Cover your Arse!!!! Then you don't have to worry, as much.
Smoke On!!!!!

Old 12-12-2006, 10:43 AM   #3
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

If you have your rubs or sauce commercially blended and packaged a lot of the pressure is reduced. They'll do the labeling with nutrition info and ingredients, etc.

At that point you are selling a commercial product and wouldn't have nearly the liability. Normal retail type liability would probably cover you.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2006, 11:03 AM   #4
BrooklynQ
Banned

Not only should you get insurance, but you need to form a LLC to protect you and your family. It's not expensive to do, but it will save you thousands if you ever have problem.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2006, 11:41 AM   #5
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Default That is in the plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynQ
Not only should you get insurance, but you need to form a LLC to protect you and your family. It's not expensive to do, but it will save you thousands if you ever have problem.
BrooklynQ, I hear ya, that is already in the works, thanks for the advice, I do appreaciate it!!
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller

Old 12-12-2006, 01:05 PM   #6
spicewine
Babbling Farker

All good advice but don't put the cart before the horse. You need to get into some major markets to make it worth your while to purchase insurance. If you are selling a bottle here and a bottle there, your liability will not be as great or I should say that your chances of being sued are less. Most Lawyers don't like to fool with little fish. There is little or no money to gain from a law suit. All they can do is shut you down . You re-open under another name and go again. Product liability insurance really isn't that expensive , but most major grocery outlets will want to see a copy of your insurance before they will let you bring product into their stores.

Just my .02

Spice

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009 & 2017

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2006, 02:37 PM   #7
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicewine
All good advice but don't put the cart before the horse. You need to get into some major markets to make it worth your while to purchase insurance. If you are selling a bottle here and a bottle there, your liability will not be as great or I should say that your chances of being sued are less. Most Lawyers don't like to fool with little fish. There is little or no money to gain from a law suit. All they can do is shut you down . You re-open under another name and go again. Product liability insurance really isn't that expensive , but most major grocery outlets will want to see a copy of your insurance before they will let you bring product into their stores.

Just my .02

Spice
Spice, your .02 is greatly appreaciated!! Thank you!!
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller