MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
DirtyDeedz
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Smoked Ice

Sounds like drug slang...

I had a cocktail at a restaurant in KC that blew my mind. The ingredient that set it off was hickory smoked ice. When the cubes started melting it infused the liquor with that heavenly smoked flavor, and it really set it off. Has anyone had any experience with this?

I'm going to give it a go, and see if I can recreate the drink next time I fire up the UDS.
DirtyDeedz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
Porcine Perfection
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : ...

Where was this at in KC?

Old 05-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
DirtyDeedz
Knows what a fatty is.

Gram and Dun on the plaza. It was called "the smoking Dun". I like the place because they really experiment with flavors. They call their cooks "chemists".

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
DirtyDeedz
Knows what a fatty is.

I've also heard of folks using smoked ice for bloody marys, which sounds incredible too.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

Another method is to pour straight bacon grease into a bottle of bourbon, and after letting it sit for a length of time, you pour off the bourbon into another bottle. Saw it on the food network. Supposedly gives the bourbon a tasty bacon-smoky flavor. I would try it once.
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
DirtyDeedz
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm with you on that one, Timmay. That sounds like a good time.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
jamus34
Full Fledged Farker

Hmmm...Smoke infused Jameson sounds like it would be really good...

22.5 OTS, 22.5 WSM, SJG (and soon to have the tamale pot mini-WSM conversion built)

Stealth gray Thermopen

jamus34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
DirtyDeedz
Knows what a fatty is.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #9
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

I tried the smoked ice once on my WSM22.5. It was the most disgusting thing I've had in my piehole in a long time. As it started melting, the Makers Mark I was drinking it with "took on the flavor" (shall we say..) which wasn't very plesant.
Just for grins, I sucked a cube out of the glass and swished it around with my tounge.
That lasted about 5 seconds before I spit it out and threw away a glass of yum yum.

I smoked cigarettes for 25 years. Quit about 3 years ago.
That being said, I feel qualified to make the comparison of the smoked ice to drinking the water out of an ashtray that was left outside in the rain.

I don't know what I did differently than the pros do, but I"m not sure I'd be willing to waste my time trying it again.
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #10
aawa
Babbling Farker

There was a thread here about some smoked ice. I have thought about giving it a go, but I don't really drink liquor all that much.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=150367

My guess is that you would have to be careful about not oversmoking the melting ice.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #11
DirtyDeedz
Knows what a fatty is.

Good to know, Bob! I wonder what went wrong, or what the difference is. And maybe aawa is right...maybe oversmoking would be bad. I'll try it on a cheap drink and see what happens.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #12
aawa
Babbling Farker

The things I would do to ensure success with this. Taste the water after the ice had been smoked. This will give you the full flavor of the ice as it melts. Also use a big ice mold. This will make it so you don't have as much surface area so the ice melts slower and thus giving the alcohol a slower taste of the smoke.

Something like these.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #13
Haveuseen1?
Full Fledged Farker

My first thought would be to put some water in a bowl on the smoker and run for a while. Then freeze the water.

You might also get different results between cold smoking the water and hot smoking.
Haveuseen1? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #14
DirtyDeedz
Knows what a fatty is.

Definitely some good thoughts to take into consideration! I haven't tried cold smoking...this might need to be a new chapter in my life...eventually. Do/can people cold smoke with a UDS? And what's the most common cold-smoked item?

Old 05-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #15
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDeedz View Post
Definitely some good thoughts to take into consideration! I haven't tried cold smoking...this might need to be a new chapter in my life...eventually. Do/can people cold smoke with a UDS? And what's the most common cold-smoked item?
You can cold smoke in almost any cooker. You will just need a cold smoke generator. Whether it is something like the A-Maze-N smoker products, the Smoke Daddy, or the home made can w/ soldering iron or out of a sieve (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=153009)

I have the A-Maze-N smoker that uses the saw dust. It works great for cold smoking cheeses since it doesn't generate a lot of heat.