MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #106
slammmed
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by foam2 View Post
I modded a UDS I have at work right before the holidays to do the same as the pit barrel cooker. I purchased the hooks, drilled the holes in my uds, got some stainless 1/2" diameter rods and set up the bbq guru to run the uds at 290. I put in 6 slabs of baby back ribs and they turned out great although I followed the cooking time from their videos and wound up losing one of the slabs off the hooks. Luckilly I had put a grate above the charcoal ring and was able to save it For the first cook they got rave reviews, but I will have to reduce the cook time slightly for the next cook.
Thanks for actually trying this, I'm going to do this to my wsm with an expansion ring, where did you find the stainless steel rods?
slammmed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #107
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
I modded a UDS I have at work right before the holidays to do the same as the pit barrel cooker. I purchased the hooks, drilled the holes in my uds, got some stainless 1/2" diameter rods and set up the bbq guru to run the uds at 290. I put in 6 slabs of baby back ribs and they turned out great although I followed the cooking time from their videos and wound up losing one of the slabs off the hooks. Luckilly I had put a grate above the charcoal ring and was able to save it For the first cook they got rave reviews, but I will have to reduce the cook time slightly for the next cook.
Yes!!! Thanks for trying and sharing your results! I must admit, when I hung the ribs on the hooks of my PBC yesterday, I was a little nervous... in other words, I was kind of expecting to find a crispy slab laying in the coals. However, the experience I had blew me away... The ribs were literally bursting with juice when I did my "toothpick" test, and they didn't even come close to falling off the hook into the fire. I just don't get it...
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #108
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammmed View Post
Thanks for actually trying this, I'm going to do this to my wsm with an expansion ring, where did you find the stainless steel rods?
Pretty sure you are asking about the SS hooks, not rods?? If so, I know that you can buy an 8 pack from pitbarrelcooker.com

Old 01-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #109
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Oh yeah...that's another thing I am loving about the PBC. Lay a sheet (the 18" stuff) of aluminum foil under the charcoal basket... then, after the coals have died, all you have to do is carefully remove the foil without dumping the ash, and toss in the trash. Again, this thing is EASY-PEASY :)
I just grab mine by the handles and shake the ash out of the air intake.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #110
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I've never had anything fall off of the hooks in a PBC.

John

Old 01-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #111
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
I just grab mine by the handles and shake the ash out of the air intake.

John
John's way = redneck

Using foil = much more sophisticated and classy

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #112
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
John's way = redneck

Using foil = much more sophisticated and classy
Using foil = Possibly obstructed air flow

Old 01-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #113
foam2
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I've never had anything fall off of the hooks in a PBC.

John
I followed Noah's cook times from his videos and didn't peak and as I went to put the ribs back in after saucing them I had one rack fall. Again no harm due to the grate I had set in place but time of being done is something I will have to learn. Noah mentions that due to elevation cook times may be different so that is something you will need to get a feel for. I bought the hooks and removal tool from the pit barrel web site so there's no difference there. The ribs were amazing and even after I brought some home for my wife who reheated them, she said they were the best I had made so far. All in all the concept of hanging and smoking works very well, I just need to get in tune with the cook times for this method. I am going to try chicken next.
foam2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #114
THEdexaTRON
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I ended up buy one as an early birthday present
FYI, the grilling.com code still works
THEdexaTRON is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #115
rwalters

Quote:
Using foil = Possibly obstructed air flow
To be honest, I thought about not using foil because of that...but so far, I have had no issues with air flow. Also, I do take extra care to make sure the foil is laying down flat.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #116
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Default Pit Barrel Cooker

Here is where you went wrong with Patio. I see this in here from time to time. Been accused of it myself.

Pitmaster T's EDICT on Endorsements

Patio Daddio is anything but dishonest. So I can say this. He has made it known he really does not like what I stand for and will say it. But he is a pretty honest guy. And he has done his share of cooking on the UDS so I would probably think his opinion about this PBS thing (which boggles my mind how someone would have the balls to actually try and patent a hook for smoking chicken in a barrel using rebar but hey, maybe I should patent using racks for cooking meat on). As usual, I digress. So take it from me, who really does not care for Patio so much because he is too nice, but also because he messed up my salad bar a few times. Patio is as honest as the wait on a frozen turkey to defrost.

Patio's Contribution to the UDS Phenomina before Noah/B]

A moment of discussion about "preceived endorsement." This forum was built on people in the competition world endorseing processes, ingredients, glazes, additives, blowers, thermometers, foils, butcher papers (with or without wax coatings) rubs, dusts, charcoal (Patio did a wonderful experiement comparing charcoal a few years ago), mops, pits, drums, designs, graphics, banners, meat providers, air induction devices, remote thermometers, muffin tins, tv programs, social programs, moinks, frozen products, guns, targets, suggested human targets, brewing paraphanalia, welders.... get the point?

Patio has been a competitor for a long while. And he has advised people here a lot. Nearly all of it I begrudginly aggree with. I would imagine if I were going to buy a product I would loop in what a guy that has had extensive experience in cooking **** on a UDS AND whatever else he chooses. Here is why I hate competitors. Because they have the audacity to show up at a pagent, with an existing stable of expertise, then throw it out the window as Patio did and adopt something else. That takes balls. In addition he beat Trigg. Now I like Trigg and frankly have seen him ON PITMASTERS go to a pagent and get 46th or so. Several times. But Patio beat him using the PBS. So that essentially means it surely does not do any damage to the BBQ. But here is where you went off track... and I see that you aologized and thats cool. If you are looking for an honest review then just either tuck what Patio says in your head (or not) and go on to find other info to make your purchasing decision. But questioning Patio and suggesting he has vested interest in the company... well hold it a minute. So the fark what if he did. We all have a "vested" interest in what we do. But just about every one of us that is worth a **** gets tied to someone who also is worth a **** and meld our **** to theirs and there **** get's melded into ours. Its like the way George Clinton did things. He was a dawg, right? He pees on something, then some other dawg pees on it and then another pees on it again. Its what we all do to make thangs funky. Pee on ****.

Patio showing he has balls enough to buy **** and tell people about it - Obviously unaware you cannot load the drum this way as all hook openings should be pointed North.

Suggesting Patio is dishonest just because of his affliation with Noah and the PBS is BS.

This forum is all about our endorsements. None of us can keep our mouths shut. I like how Chris Matthews once put it about himself when someone questioned why his opinion mattered. He said "I am not sure you are aware of this Eric but I get paid because people tune in to see what I think." Well people like you are here in our forum to see what us BBQ freaks think. Even if they are white bread, "aww shucks," Pat Boone white shoe wearing, sqeaky clean, Dudley will Do no wrong tonight if Nell will just let him kick it, "he's a nice guy" freaks like Patio Daddio.

[B]I have been an ass for more than 48 years.

ADMIN EDIT:

This post has been scrubbed of vulgarities and BS. This is Qtalk. Review and Abide by our rules. (followup posts regarding the BS has been removed as they no longer pertain).

Edict.

Last edited by BobBrisket; 01-03-2013 at 05:00 PM..
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #117
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

I wonder how many folks read the first line or two of any lengthy post and comment haphazard-like?

Everyone knows they have to jump to the last couple sentences....
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #118
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

How the heck am I supposed to wrap anything in butcher paper if it's hanging from a hook?
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #119
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
How the heck am I supposed to wrap anything in butcher paper if it's hanging from a hook?
Thats twelve levels of funny right there. There was a dinners and drive in show where the guy had this massive smoker with this huge rotesserie in it. Looked like a massive wagon wheel. Anyway, everything was hooked. I wanted to try it.

I like chicks hooked. I think the PBS is good for something else. As many know I don't often smoke little stuff. It has taken me years to finish this stupid UDS. I just don't have the time and now that I have added up all the stuff I purchase to make one... well, $225 for a smaller PBS doesn't seem like a bad idea. I have less time to "tweak" now that the boys are growing up.

I'll wait for someone to say i am endorsing it now.

Edict.

Last edited by Pitmaster T; 01-02-2013 at 07:18 PM..
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 12:57 AM   #120
DMotivate
Got Wood.

I got my PBC with the discount right before Christmas but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Thinking the tri-tip I bought is going on the hook tomorrow.
DMotivate is offline   Reply With Quote