Dear Organizer - Awards

Slamdunkpro

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
We had the tips for organizers, tips for cook teams and tips for judges threads a while ago, this one deals specifically with awards.

Have awards on time
This should go without saying but it often doesn't work out that way. Talk to your sanctioning body rep and get a good estimate of how long it will take after the last turn in, announce it and stick to it.

Have enough staff to make awards go smooth
Have the trophies / awards on the stage 10 minutes prior to awards start. Have all the checks cut and placed in order as well. Have someone off stage to handle any paperwork for the winners as they come off stage.

Awards should be the priority
Give the awards schedule to any performers and have them understand that awards go off as scheduled, even if it means cutting someone short. It doesn't matter if the drunk girls over on the side are getting into the band's 17 minute version of Freebird. If awards are at 4 and it's 4:01 turn the band off.

On this theme: the stage changeover can wait until after the people who paid lots of money to compete are recognized. Stagehands tearing down / setting up drum risers and staging are distracting. Turn off the background music and the band monitors so the crowd can hear. If the bass player is practicing his speed rips through his amplifier turned up to 11 tell him to shut the hell up.

Get an MC that knows how to use a microphone.

or get them some lessons. When your MC holds the mic down around their navel and constantly points it at the speaker giving the crown ear splitting feedback it takes some of the fun out of things.

Consider what's going on
If you're the person announcing awards have some consideration that almost everyone listening to you is tired, hot/cold & facing a long drive. It's also probably blazing hot or raining or (worse) just about to rain. This isn't the time to try out your new comedy routine, tell us your life story or a bunch of other non relevant crap.

Keep things moving
If you're doing honorable mentions or announcing deep you don't need to wait for 25th place to come to the stage, get their certificate and go all the way back to their seat before announcing 24th, especially if people have a long way to go to get to the stage. You can call the next place while the last place is still moving.

Understand why awards are structured the way they are
This seems simple but I've seen it screwed up more and more: As soon as you award the Grand Champion everyone is going to leave! Don't try to give any awards after the grand.

Don't get cute

You might think it's "suspenseful" to hold all the 1st place winners or bring the top 5 up as a group then announce them off like it's a beauty contest but for the competitors it sux. Just play it straight - please?

Any more?

Be careful about being early. Why many teams appreciate being able leave that much sooner, if you're early and some one is in the middle of packing up, off site, or maybe worst of all, sleeping, it's not acceptable to start awards early and hope that every one gets the word some how. If competitors turn in a box early, it sits until the window starts. If reps finish entering scores early, wait until every one is there. Keep the schedule unless all teams are present and accounted for.

dmp

I'll add one: Don't scheule something else in the venue near the same time as awards! The last contest I attended was at a Harley-Davidson dealership. Some a-hole affiliated with the dealership came around and told us if we weren't out by 4PM, we might not get out because they had 600 bikes coming in at that time. But then awards were put off until, you guessed it, 4pm. I heard my name called (for 1st place pork) sitting in my truck with the trailer attached, in the parking lot, because there was no place to park. To put it blatantly, that just totally sucked, and robbed me of one of the greatest joys of competition BBQ.

Don't be the "announcer" (while having the Rep read each team name to you as well), "photographer" and hand the awards out all by yourself.....DELEGATE

This one is a more of a personal pet peeve...Nothing drive me more nuts than the "calls" and the "walks". If you are going to recognize the Top 10, give them a ribbon at least. While cash might only go to the Top 5, do more than just announce the 10-6 spots. Ribbons are cheap in cost, and gives those teams that at least get a Top 10 finish something to celebrate other than having their name called. I find it acceptable to "call" 10-3 for the overall, with only the RGC and the GC getting the walk.

Can I go a little OT here, my biggest pet peeve is having the cooks meeting in the middle of the site while a band is playing and you have stand next to the head judge or organizer or you won't hear them. Please find a quiet place where you can heard by everyone and teams can ask questions and have them be heard.

Ok, my two pennies. The three second personal story before naming the awardee is annoying. For instance, "third place pork...Oh, I gotta tell you this team (insert annoying story nobody cares about but you two)...XYZ bbq.

Ok, other annoyance...it's DA-GWAY-YO, is it that much trouble to ask somebody or even Kit beforehand how to pronounce it...did nobody in the Mid Atlantic region take Spanish I or II in school and learn that "ll" is pronounced like a "y"? I know it's become somewhat of a joke, but Kit kicks ass and I've seen him get well more than a dozen calls in my one year of competing and not one person has come close to pronouncing it correctly.

Ok, I'm done.

Ok, my two pennies. The three second personal story before naming the awardee is annoying. For instance, "third place pork...Oh, I gotta tell you this team (insert annoying story nobody cares about but you two)...XYZ bbq.

Ok, other annoyance...it's DA-GWAY-YO, is it that much trouble to ask somebody or even Kit beforehand how to pronounce it...did nobody in the Mid Atlantic region take Spanish I or II in school and learn that "ll" is pronounced like a "y"? I know it's become somewhat of a joke, but Kit kicks ass and I've seen him get well more than a dozen calls in my one year of competing and not one person has come close to pronouncing it correctly.

Ok, I'm done.

The worst part is when the story give away the identity of the team. MCs need to keep in mind they are anouncing the awards - not the teams.

May favorite mispronunciation was Do-You-Jello! And Kit does kick some ass!

Make sure you have all your paper work in hand, like a current proclimation, Royal paperwork etc.

oh, and I dont know about anyone else but I like the trophies and ribbons, make sure they are decent , not some kind of unmarked piece of elementary school participation award.

This past weekend at Kenosha they called the top 10 for each category in random order. Had us stand on stage while they counted down 10 to 1. He also reach each teams score to the one hundred thousandth degree. This was after starting 40 minutes late. I'm not a big fan of it. I like hearing the top 10 as normal. I've seen it done this way for overall and I'm okay with it. Not for every category though.

Don't get cute
You might think it's "suspenseful" to hold all the 1st place winners or bring the top 5 up as a group then announce them off like it's a beauty contest but for the competitors it sux. Just play it straight - please?

Any more?

What? You mean to tell me that you didn't like calling the top 5 up at Hogfest? I thought it was fun! :-D Especially when you get down to 1 and 5 left, one gets a piece of wood the other gets a piece of cloth. Got to shake it up some. You know me I like to stir things up!! :crazy:

A couple more:

If you have a stage use it
Don't gather the cooks into a an isolated corner like it's some secret meeting to hand out awards when there is a big stage nearby with some hack band playing to 10 people.

Use a PA
No matter how much you or your friends tell you you have a booming voice, if you're trying to project to over 200 people the ones in the back won't be able to hear you.

In the don't get cute category
Don't foreshadow awards with (to you) cute remarks such as "gee you might as well just stay up here" "I'll pronounce it right in a minute or next time"

What? You mean to tell me that you didn't like calling the top 5 up at Hogfest? I thought it was fun! :-D Especially when you get down to 1 and 5 left, one gets a piece of wood the other gets a piece of cloth. Got to shake it up some. You know me I like to stir things up!! :crazy:
Yeah it's great fun to humiliate the 5th place guy.

If you are giving out checks then have them at awards. Take the extra 2 minutes to go get them before starting awards if that what it takes. Don't make the teams hunt you down to collect their money.

If you are giving a check then also give a trophy. I found it quite odd that at Sam's contests 4th and 5th got checks but no trophies.

We had the tips for organizers, tips for cook teams and tips for judges threads a while ago, this one deals specifically with awards.

Have awards on time
This should go without saying but it often doesn't work out that way. Talk to your sanctioning body rep and get a good estimate of how long it will take after the last turn in, announce it and stick to it.

I have heard of instances where a computer problem occurred and took considerable time to get everything correct. No one wants to have errors when presenting the awards, then get called afterwards and told oops, that was not your GC, give it back.

I don't think I saw this one listed yet..

Keep the calls coming
Sure, a little time between team names for each team to be recognized is great but do we really need to hear the announcer say something like "team x...<waiting> is team x here? <waiting> team x...oh here they come" as the team comes strolling in from 30 or more yards away.

OT: Opposite view of Topic.

As much as everyone wants the awards to "move along" it is also important that sponsors, that play a big part in making all of this happen, be recognized, and that teams understand and respect that.

I like it when organizers mix it up a little instead of just reading 1st through 10th in every category like a robot. With that I also like it when they keep it going and get them done quickly.

Back