Found a drum to build my UDS

PalmettoSmoke

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So, I finally found a company close to me that sells brand new drums. Is $64 a good price? With it being brand new, is there anything that needs to be done to it before seasoning and cooking? Do I have to sand off the paint currently on there, or can I just apply high temp paint on top of it?

IMO, if you are going to spend $64 on a new drum then it should at least be unlined. If it isn't then you might as well find a used drum to work with. Used or new, the inside needs to start off bare. You could rinse it out pretty good with water provided you are going to season it right away before any rust sets in. You can season it with veggie oil spray. I'll let somebody else chime in on your paint question.

I agree, at that price you should definitely make sure that the drum is unlined. It may be coated with "mild rust inhibitor" or something like that. If it has a liner in it, definitely avoid it. There's a place in North Charleston that sells reconditioned drums for around 30 bucks, but they nearly always have the liners in them.

Yeah. I called the place in Charleston. They are all lined. The place here in Columbia said that they are all just bare steel on the inside; no liners to worry about. I figured paying a little more to avoid the hassle was worth it.

I would say go for it then! Getting the liner out is a huge PITA. I'd love to see how the build goes!

I believe most brand new drums come unlined. They also give you a choice of open or closed top. You'll have more options with the open top drum (includes lid and band clamp).
The factory exterior paint is good and will withstand the temps. Really no reason to strip and use hi-temp paint unless you're looking to change the color.

I believe most brand new drums come unlined. They also give you a choice of open or closed top. You'll have more options with the open top drum (includes lid and band clamp).
The factory exterior paint is good and will withstand the temps. Really no reason to strip and use hi-temp paint unless you're looking to change the color.

They are all open head drums. He said that I could get a lid with or without a bung hole.

Back