MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #16
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Last time I kept a sheet of foil over the breast meat to try to keep it from getting too done before the dark meat. I was cooking indirect in my kettle.

Ultimately when my dark meat finished up I didn't have enough color on my breast meat skin. Everything tasted great but next time I would not leave the foil on so long -- it just didn't look uniformly brown.

And you eat with your eyes first . . .
Rec Tec with bull horns -- UDS (Big Blue) -- 2 Weber kettles -- Weber gasser -- DCS outdoor stainless built-in nat. gasser with smoker box and rotisserie -- Dutch ovens a-plenty -- bright yellow can't-lose-me Thermapen
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #17
mwmac
is one Smokin' Farker

In preparation for Thanksgiving, I cooked a 17 lb self-basting turkey on the cajun bandit a couple of weeks ago using this method http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/turkey4.html . Aromatics and orange quarters in the cavity. It turned out so well that SWMBO has requested another before Thanksgiving! This method is very simple and does not require brining making it quite for first time turkey smokers.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #18
ToddM
Full Fledged Farker

I did one (14 lbs) this past Sunday using a kettle and rotisserie, turned out great. Seasoned with Tony Chachere's, with lemons, onions and fresh herbs in the cavity. I also run my hand under the skin on the breast to loosen it up and put strips of bacon under the skin to help keep the breast meat moist.

I may try to brine next time but the results were tasty without that step.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #19
TheJackal
Full Fledged Farker

Here is what I did for my last turkey. I think the aromatics are from Alton Brown's recipe. Can't remember where I got the brine from but it is on a recipe site from somewhere.

TURKEY:

‎12lb whole turkey
Brined for 24-48hrs
Stuff with aromatics
Rub with herb butter both the outside and under the skin
sprinkle with additional Poultry Rub
Smoked with apple wood @ 300 - 325

Aromatics --
  • 1 red apple, sliced
  • 1/2 onion, sliced
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 1 cup water
  • 4 sprigs rosemary
  • 6 leaves sage
Combine the apple, onion, cinnamon stick, and 1 cup of water in a microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Put aromatics in the turkey's cavity along with the rosemary and sage.

Herb butter --
made by mixing Dean & Deluca Poultry Rub with softened stick of butter
http://www.deandeluca.com/herbs-and-...ultry-rub.aspx

Brine --
Ingredients

• 3 cups Apple Juice Or Apple Cider
  • 2 gallons Cold Water
  • 4 Tablespoons Fresh Rosemary Leaves
  • 5 cloves Garlic, Minced
  • 1-1/2 cup Kosher Salt
  • 2 cups Brown Sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons Peppercorns
  • 5 whole Bay Leaves
  • Peel Of Three Large Oranges
Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Stir until salt and sugar dissolve. Bring to a boil, then turn off heat and cover.

Allow to cool completely (never put raw turkey in hot or warm brine), then pour into a large brining bag or pot. Place uncooked turkey in brine solution, then refrigerate.
When ready to roast turkey, remove turkey from brine. Rinse turkey in fresh, cold water (If you do not rinse, your turkey may come out too salty).
Discard brine. Remove turkey from clean water, pat dry, and cook.

TheJackal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 11:29 PM   #20
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

I've decided to smoke one this year as well. In the past I've just used the webber rotisserie attachment on a weber kettle. Rubbed with olive oil and salt & pepper. Usually comes out great.

Chris
Shadowdog500 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 11:51 PM   #21
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

I may be mistaken, but if memeory serves me, a self basting turkey has already been brined by the producer. I'll have to take another look around for info, but I think that is correct.

Did a quick search......evidently they are not brined, but injected with "broth and other flavors".

Old 10-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #22
charray
On the road to being a farker

I spatchcock and then brine (usually a maple bourbon) mine for 24 hours. Pat it dry and put back in fridge uncovered a couple of hours. Then I punch dozens of little holes (I use my meat rakes) in the skin. I mix rub with butter and olive oil and apply it under the skin and on top and then smoke until IT of 120º and then go to 350º to crisp skin.

Why poke all the holes? The skin, as someone put it, is like a wetsuit. Poking the holes allows the fat to render and the skin to crisp. Here is a picture of my last turkey.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:45 AM   #23
Nick's BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Charray - that looks awesome!! I've got a few days off next week, thanks everybody for the ideas!
Nick's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #24
wmrrock
Knows what a fatty is.

Make sure you brine it or get it brined before smoking. I smoked a 13.5 lb last weekend. It took 3.5 hours at 300 on a large BGE. I poured olive oil over the skin and in the cavity and then put a rub of sweet paprika, brown sugar, salt and freshly ground pepper all over the skin. I quartered 2 small apples and placed them in the cavity. It was done in 3.5 hours. It was my 1st smoked turkey and it was the best turkey I have ever had.
wmrrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #25
jeffjenkins1
Babbling Farker

I followed Wampus last year and had the most moist turkey I ever cooked. Just saying...

Jeff
18" Weber OTS
Primo Oval XL
NB American Gourmet offset smoker
UDS
Big Chief Smoker
Turkey Fryer
jeffjenkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
turkey