Any of you brew beer?

LowSlowBo

Reaction score
Beer was actually my gateway to this hobby! About 5 years back (just before the micro-brew explosion) I developed a passion for good beers and wanted to understand more about what separated them from the standard everyday lite beer. What better way to learn than to dive right in and control exactly what your interested in down to the individual grain, hop and yeast? Myself and a buddy continued to develop our skills until we eventually started entering competitions. We never actually placed but we've made several final tables. We turn heads everywhere and never get tired of the "you actually made this" comments.

Because of the length of time that goes into brewing a batch of beer I take it very seriously and want a perfect result every time. I studied the process to great lengths, practiced as frequently as my better half would allow me to and eventually could make beer that would sell in stores.

I never thought I would find another passion like that of brewing beer but here I am on this forum, with a big green egg, 5 bags of wood chunks, and a constant eye on the next accessory I want to purchase and the next meat I want to smoke........

I also roast my own coffee in a pop-lite popcorn popper.......

I brew beer and make mead and wine. Not as often as I used to though.

What kind of kegging setup do you have? I had a converted chest freezer and six taps, but recently sold that and downsized to just two kegs.

Exactly what I have, 2 pin lock kegs in a fridge I got for $25 off Craigslist. I'll eventually build a nice "keezer" or just incorporate a double tap into my kitchen counter!

Brewing was also a gate way hobby to BBQing for me as well, except that I stopped brewing about a year ago, sold off my 15gal AG brew system and stand as well as most of my other equipment, and turned my keezer back into a freezer so i can store meat in it. I like bbqing more now a days, after a long day of working the fire I can sit back and enjoy my days work, un-like beer where there is at least another month of waiting before you can enjoy the finished product.

Brewing was also a gate way hobby to BBQing for me as well, except that I stopped brewing about a year ago, sold off my 15gal AG brew system and stand as well as most of my other equipment, and turned my keezer back into a freezer so i can store meat in it. I like bbqing more now a days, after a long day of working the fire I can sit back and enjoy my days work, un-like beer where there is at least another month of waiting before you can enjoy the finished product.

That is why you always keep a full pipeline going. :wink: My pipeline was so busy back in the day I had a new batch ready to drink every Saturday morning. To be fair though, it did burn a LOT of my time up.

I brew beer as well. I never tried to make mead or wine. I love eating some good que and drinking home brew. Beats drinking BMC all the time.

I enjoy both with a lot of passion, as my signature denotes... Homebrew Fall, Winter and Spring and BBQ year round but mostly Spring, Summer and Fall. I've won a few Homebrew Comps (County Fair, State Fair twice and a 2nd place in the AHA NHC once) but mostly brew for me and my friends & family now. I really like BBQ 'cause the rewards are immediate. Competed in one KCBS Comp. Didn't finish DAL!! :thumb: May do it again but I enjoy judging too so it's a tough decision... Cheers!!!

Here's a pic I took last evening of my Sandhills Lager. It was so nice out for December I couldn't resist a Pint on the front porch...

i was brewing for a while. really enjoyed it.

the pipeline is a must.

sawdustguy also brews. got a pretty sweet set up.

hamiltont;273329 Here's a pic I took last evening of my Sandhills Lager. It was so nice out for December I couldn't resist a Pint on the front porch... [URL=http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/tjhamilton/media/Beer%20Pics/SandhillsLager12-16-2013_zpsf3024bec.jpg.html said:
SandhillsLager12-16-2013_zpsf3024bec.jpg
[/URL]

Great pic !:clap2::clap2:

Yes I do. Getting into all grain now after a lot of extract batches. All I can say is Why did I not switch to all grain earlier? So much better product. First all grain was a SMASH that is amazing! Can't wait to get more experience.

I brewed a lot for over 10 years. I have slowed down the last two years because of recent micro availability in my area, a family with young boys, and a new passion for bourbon when I have the time to take a sip.

Brewing is a great hobby that has many parallels to BBQ. One can go heavy to the science of it or lean towards technique and art. Both ways can produce good beer or Q. I have also made mead, wine, and have roasted coffee for about 8 years or so. I feel the best Q and best beers are homemade.

I brewed a lot for over 10 years. I have slowed down the last two years because of recent micro availability in my area, a family with young boys, and a new passion for bourbon when I have the time to take a sip.

Brewing is a great hobby that has many parallels to BBQ. One can go heavy to the science of it or lean towards technique and art. Both ways can produce good beer or Q. I have also made mead, wine, and have roasted coffee for about 8 years or so. I feel the best Q and best beers are homemade.

It's interesting to see the parallels... I too roast my own beans. And yes, homemade IS the only way to go... :thumb: Cheers!!!

i started out brewing extract and switched to all grain. after my second was born, i determined that, for the time being, i could brew more easily if i switched back to extract, so for regular beers, i have been brewing extract again. i'm certain i'll switch back within the next couple years.

my bro in law and i literally threw together a beer about three and a half weeks ago to have something at christmas time. it's a spiced holiday ale that is about 6%.

the candy apple package and the cherries really turned the beer a great color for a holiday beer and the spices were pretty spot on for the season.

we will be popping this open christmas eve.....

for a good 2 years, i was brewing 3 times a month. AG, simple cooler MLT with cpvc manifold and turkey fryer.

i have since taken a break. my last brew was late feb 2013. it was cold so i couldn't run a hose to the wort chiller in the garage.

had to move 6 gal of wort in a kettle to the basement laundry room. well, i tripped and dumped the kettle. luckily i wasn't burned and no one was hurt.

and we were doing a 10 gal batch...so we still got 5.5 gals out of it.

but that pissed off and i haven't brewed since.

im getting the itch though. might have to brew a nice session IPA soon.

Founders clone anyone?

Back