MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:51 PM   #6841
peppasawce
is one Smokin' Farker

ditto Chaddie great job man

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-28-2010, 10:57 PM   #6842
PaulG78
On the road to being a farker

Haven't posted in the UDS thread in awhile. Here is my latest mod and some paint sprayed on.
Welded weber lid to flat lid and cut out center of flat lid. Welding newbie for sure.

PaulG78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2010, 06:30 AM   #6843
BlkJeep
is One Chatty Farker

Paul I recently did the same thing. works great. and your welding is not to bad at all. next time pick up a can of anti-splatter and your's weld splatter won't stick on your lid (or whatever your current project is). I just spot welded mine and then used an epoxy product around the seam. Sanded is down and looked great. Epoxy link below.
http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/cont...x?PN=14070&S=Y

Old 09-29-2010, 09:31 AM   #6844
jcinadr

I posted this a couple hundred pages ago-but it still works.

I welded a chickens foot of rebar (imagine 3 horizontal bars for feet, and one vertical to grab. On top of that I have a large pizza pan (with a small hole in the center for the vertical rebar. On top of that I drop my basket (the rebar just slide through one of the holes in the basket bottoms expanded mesh).

Now my basket is a tube of expanded, with a floor of expanded about 2 inches from the bottom. I used hog rings to hold the basket together (welded the first - but welds broke).

Ash tends to fall strait down, and is somewhat contained within the bottom 2" of the basket. The pizza pan provides a bottom. I can grab the upright rebar and left the whole thing strait out. Oh and the feet keep the heat off the drum bottom. The assembly comes apart for easy cleaning.
-----
Now version 2 of my drum has a 12 guage plate under all of that with 1"x1" tabs around the outside (every other one bent down - someone else's idea - and they posted pics). Since I am using an electric blower and a BBQ Guru - the diffuser allows me to keep a much more even burn, regardless of what temp I am shooting for. With the newer blower I think I can set the temp anywhere between 175 and probably 400-500 and walk away
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2010, 09:52 AM   #6845
stglide

Great looking cooker Chaddie!! Excellent work!
Charbroil Quantum 5 burner
Brinkman SKD Offset w/ Mods
[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
stglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #6846
stglide

Smoker,
Keep us up to speed on your design. Definitely like where you're going with it. Don't have a nice cutter like you, but definitely helps w/ ideas.

Considered using a pizza pan, with the holes in it, and leave them small near the center and as you go out, progressively drill them out larger. Not sure if that will work or not, but just in my head, that was where I was heading. Your design sort of supports that theory too, just not a fancy cut like yours!
Charbroil Quantum 5 burner
Brinkman SKD Offset w/ Mods
[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
stglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2010, 10:10 AM   #6847
the_hunchback
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinadr View Post
I posted this a couple hundred pages ago-but it still works.

I welded a chickens foot of rebar (imagine 3 horizontal bars for feet, and one vertical to grab. On top of that I have a large pizza pan (with a small hole in the center for the vertical rebar. On top of that I drop my basket (the rebar just slide through one of the holes in the basket bottoms expanded mesh).

Now my basket is a tube of expanded, with a floor of expanded about 2 inches from the bottom. I used hog rings to hold the basket together (welded the first - but welds broke).

Ash tends to fall strait down, and is somewhat contained within the bottom 2" of the basket. The pizza pan provides a bottom. I can grab the upright rebar and left the whole thing strait out. Oh and the feet keep the heat off the drum bottom. The assembly comes apart for easy cleaning.
-----
Now version 2 of my drum has a 12 guage plate under all of that with 1"x1" tabs around the outside (every other one bent down - someone else's idea - and they posted pics). Since I am using an electric blower and a BBQ Guru - the diffuser allows me to keep a much more even burn, regardless of what temp I am shooting for. With the newer blower I think I can set the temp anywhere between 175 and probably 400-500 and walk away
Got any pics?
the_hunchback is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2010, 11:30 AM   #6848
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stglide View Post
Smoker,
Keep us up to speed on your design. Definitely like where you're going with it. Don't have a nice cutter like you, but definitely helps w/ ideas.

Considered using a pizza pan, with the holes in it, and leave them small near the center and as you go out, progressively drill them out larger. Not sure if that will work or not, but just in my head, that was where I was heading. Your design sort of supports that theory too, just not a fancy cut like yours!
Will do, I just need to find some time to do a few smokes with the new diffuser and UDS to determine if it works or not.

Every spare minute seems to be taken right now. Maybe smoke up some ribs next weekend!!

I don't have the cutter, but I have contacts.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2010, 01:50 PM   #6849
Novass
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Greg

i never thought about shelving channel for grate supports. how does it work out for you?
Novass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2010, 03:20 PM   #6850
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novass View Post
i never thought about shelving channel for grate supports. how does it work out for you?
Are you're talking about the my diffuser picture that shows the single track with brackets?

Best feature of my drum IMO. Fully adjustable heights to adjust to whatever type of meat, number of racks for the meat, and/or diffuser water pan placement.

Keep in mind that my fire basket is removable from the bottom and side of the smoker. No need to remove basket or ash pan through the top.

But, it only takes a few seconds to remove the brackets if you ever needed too.

Tracks can be welded or bolted in place.

Yeah, yeah, it's not the "cheapest way to go" probably a whole $18.00 for 9 brackets and 3 tracks. Can't imagine having a smoker that does not have adjustable grates. Sure beats the "fixed" locations that bolts offer.

Single track 8" brackets from Lowes;

http://www.lowes.com/pd_107820-46882...rack%2Bbracket

Single Track from Lowes;

http://www.lowes.com/pd_107832-46882...rack%2Bbracket

I burned the paint off with a torch prior to installation and use.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2010, 11:30 PM   #6851
bigtex16
Found some matches.

Wow! I have been reading this forum for days now. I have finally got all of my stuff together to do my first UDS. I should have her up and going this weekend with pics to follow. I hope it works as well as all of yours. Only time will tell!
bigtex16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2010, 11:35 PM   #6852
firescrambler
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default 1st UDS build

Well I finally did it! I buit my first UDS and yes I read all 6700+ posts before doing so! Everyone on this thread always harps on reading this entire thread before asking questions and starting your build and I have to say I absolutely agree with them. When it came time for the build I felt that I knew what to do every step of the construction. I kept it as simple as possible and I am very happy with the results. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread and especially Norco and Rodney for their videos and "how to" pics.

Mines esentially the basics except for one mod that was not done on purpose I was using a punch for the three intake holes at the bottom. I was aiming to thread 3/4" nipples and use caps but somehow I grabed the wrong puch and my holes where way to big . So instead of nipples I welded 1"x 3/4" bushngs in two holes and used 3/4" plugs. For the third hole I used a 1" 90 and nipple and then a 1"X 3/4" bushing. This way I could use a 3/4" riser (fat boy method) and ball valve. Problem solved

I fired it up and seasoned her today. Rubbed it down with Crisco real good and I got it started around 12pm. Got it up to 350*-400* for an hour or so with all intakes and ball valve wide open . Then cut her down to 250* using only one plug out and the ball valve a quarter of the way open. Once I got it to 250* I threw on a bacon wrapped fatty and then sat back and admired it. Took the fatty off an hour and a half later and enjoyed!

I decided to see how long it would sit at 250* at the current setting so I left it alone and didnt choke it out. When I left for work at 6:30pm it was still rolling at 250* and I hadnt touched a thing I plan on getting alot of good use out of this thing. I cant wait to throw on some racks of ribs, maybe some BB's, or a brisket, or moinks, or ABT's....oh hell you get the picture! Oh and sorry some of the pics are from my cell phone........

Thanks again guys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UDS1.jpg (34.2 KB, 773 views)
File Type: jpg UDS2.jpg (43.8 KB, 775 views)
File Type: jpg UDS3.jpg (55.0 KB, 774 views)
File Type: jpg UDS4.jpg (68.6 KB, 775 views)
File Type: jpg UDS5.jpg (63.8 KB, 775 views)
firescrambler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2010, 01:06 AM   #6853
firescrambler
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Fyi-

I wanted to share something that I learned during my first cook as well. I wanted to take the lid off and add the fatty without making the temps spike. I read that if you shut down your air intakes for a few and then open your lid the temps are much more managable. I wanted to do this without loosing my current ball valve setting and then having to readjust it after replacing the hood so I got to looking for something to plug the hole without using the handle.

I found that the small bunghole cap on the UDS screwed perfectly into the open end of the ball valve closing the hole without having to adjust the handle Worked pefectly!

Just thought I would share and hopefully be of use to someone.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg First.jpg (43.9 KB, 760 views)
File Type: jpg One.jpg (54.8 KB, 760 views)

Old 09-30-2010, 01:15 AM   #6854
DesMar
Knows what a fatty is.

Thumbs up Finally gone and done it!

Well it took me a few weeks to read this whole thread and I got around to making my own UDS, with the help of a friend with a welder. Got an unlined drum for free. Went the simple route as Norco's plan (k.i.s.s.), with 8-1/2 inch holes for the top lid. Was easy to maintain temps. All it cost me was a few hardware and grills and of course a plate of baby back ribs for the welder.
Did 2 racks, one Memphis style and 1 sauced. My friend could not decide which one he liked, but said they were great. Wish I got a picture of the inside of the ribs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UDS001_web.jpg (177.0 KB, 767 views)
File Type: jpg UDS005_web.jpg (237.0 KB, 768 views)
File Type: jpg UDS009_web.jpg (187.4 KB, 765 views)
File Type: jpg UDS010_web.jpg (213.5 KB, 762 views)
File Type: jpg UDS012_web.jpg (237.9 KB, 767 views)
File Type: jpg UDS014_web.jpg (214.7 KB, 765 views)
File Type: jpg UDS018_web.jpg (186.5 KB, 765 views)
File Type: jpg UDS023_web.jpg (193.1 KB, 760 views)
File Type: jpg UDS024_web.jpg (174.2 KB, 759 views)
File Type: jpg UDS026_web.jpg (195.1 KB, 759 views)
File Type: jpg UDS027_web.jpg (185.5 KB, 759 views)
File Type: jpg UDS028_web.jpg (188.8 KB, 756 views)
File Type: jpg UDS029_web.jpg (201.9 KB, 763 views)
File Type: jpg UDS032_web.jpg (169.9 KB, 757 views)
File Type: jpg UDS042_web.jpg (190.6 KB, 758 views)

Last edited by DesMar; 09-30-2010 at 01:26 AM.. Reason: additions
DesMar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2010, 01:44 AM   #6855
samiam
Knows what a fatty is.

Sweet build. Nice job.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker