MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:08 PM   #1
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Tri-tip

Thanks for all the advice on the tri-tip, it turned out great. I just used salt, pepper and garlic, grilled it on the weber then put it in the smoker. I let it get to 165, my wife and daughter don't do rare but it turned out very rare anyway, so I was surprised and happy. No photos but I have a small chunk that would make an excellent steak and cheese sandwich if I weren't on a diet.
Dave

Old 03-01-2008, 09:39 PM   #2
OlyQ
Full Fledged Farker

Tri-Tip is the best.

Plus it works well for multiple uses for leftovers
OlyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2008, 01:56 AM   #3
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

At 165 I would guess you didn't get the actual part of thermometer that reads temp in the center of meat or bad calibration on thermometer itself. What type are you using? I cook this for work and refuse to go above 145. If the picky people don't like it pink I tell them to pop in microwave for 10-15 sec. and pink goes away.
Main thing is that your happy with results. Use leftover to make omlets tomorrow with pepper jack cheese!

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2008, 06:40 AM   #4
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

I did two tri-tips for dinner Friday night. I used Poobah's PR marinade and they were unbelievably good!!!

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2008, 06:52 AM   #5
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

The microwave is your friend for people who do not like meat cooked to proper temps.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2008, 01:10 PM   #6
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
At 165 I would guess you didn't get the actual part of thermometer that reads temp in the center of meat or bad calibration on thermometer itself. What type are you using? I cook this for work and refuse to go above 145. If the picky people don't like it pink I tell them to pop in microwave for 10-15 sec. and pink goes away.
Main thing is that your happy with results. Use leftover to make omlets tomorrow with pepper jack cheese!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyQ View Post
Tri-Tip is the best.

Plus it works well for multiple uses for leftovers
Looking forward to dealing with the leftovers.

I suspect you are right about my Maverick remote being wacked. During the entire cook it would read LLL off and on. I should have stuck it with another thermometer but didn't, that means I may have to stick my pork butt in the oven today to finish it off because I took it off at 185 so it could be way under cooked as well. Guess my meds were not letting me think clearly.

My daughter nuked her meat but my wife ate it as I did and we thought it was excellent.
Dave