MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:42 AM   #46
mattmountz94
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthamm View Post
With stickburners we aim for thin blue to invisible smoke to avoid that acrid creosote buildup on the meat. With pellet poopers, it sounds like the opposite is the case.

Does running a pellet smoker at lower temp and/or adding an amazen tube in effect promote a smoldering dirty smoke quality? I know when a stickburner fire hasn't been running cleanly bc the food is acrid and you get that numb tongue. Does the same hold true with pellet smokers using all these "tricks?" Serious question.
Once my yoder stabilizes at the correct temperature after initial start there is always thin blue smoke. Whether 225 or 375. Every now and then if left open for to long while flipping or something the recovery will have a tad of smoke coming up to temp (Exact same as stick burner when adding wood)

Old 07-18-2018, 12:09 PM   #47
pigville porkers
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeBurnEverything View Post
If not for the lack of smoke ring i would love a pellet smoker. My question is this, If OP's main issue is smoke flavor, why not just add more smoke via other sources. My understanding is that pellet smokers burn clean and give a subtle blue smoke. Like i said, thats exactly what i want, but they don;t produce a smoke ring i get from charcoal. I might eventually buy one just to run charcoal for the first hour and switch to pellets for the subtle smoke flavor.
Lack of a smoke ring on a pooper? I beg to differ.. this is my last brisket on the Rec Tec Mini

Last edited by pigville porkers; 08-03-2018 at 09:44 AM..
pigville porkers is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-18-2018, 09:05 PM   #48
tarheelsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeBurnEverything View Post
If not for the lack of smoke ring i would love a pellet smoker. My question is this, If OP's main issue is smoke flavor, why not just add more smoke via other sources. My understanding is that pellet smokers burn clean and give a subtle blue smoke. Like i said, thats exactly what i want, but they don;t produce a smoke ring i get from charcoal. I might eventually buy one just to run charcoal for the first hour and switch to pellets for the subtle smoke flavor.
Not true that they don't produce a smoke ring. I smoked at 200 for an hour and then went 250 for another 8. I even wrapped it this time which I never do. This is every bit as good a smoke ring as I get with the KJ. This is on a GMG DB with GMG fruitwood pellets. I did not use a tube. I was actually amazed at the constant stream of thin blue that came out of it. I was expecting the smoke to stop but it never did. Thin blue the whole time. I wish I had taken some pics of the thin blue now. Smoke flavor was sufficient. Not overly strong, but it was about perfect for me.

I am not a pellet grill apologist. I bought one because it is convenient and allows me to cook more. This was my second cook, and my only low and slow (ish). So far, I like mine. But I will not be selling the other gear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7163.jpg (55.1 KB, 155 views)

Old 07-22-2018, 11:34 PM   #49
archrmike
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have been following some on a Grilla Grill Facebook site and the ones that know what they are doing are getting a really nice smoke ring. And the same showed some pics of pulled pork that had great color from the smoke.
archrmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2018, 07:20 AM   #50
Kevin89
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

"Smoke rings" have nothing to do with actual smoke. It's a chemical reaction.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-28-2018, 12:25 AM   #51
archrmike
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I am most interested in getting a nice dark bark and as much smoke flavor as a pellet grill will give. After all of my research, I am probably going to end up with either a Green Mountain or Traeger just to make sure I can get parts easily. As much as I want a Mak, not going to happen on my first go. Wife doesn't understand the value. LOL
archrmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2018, 05:28 AM   #52
mike243
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Having a lighter smoke profile is a good thing these days as the wife has problems with heavy smoke flavor,I still get my smoke fix with less effort and more consistent repeatable cooks,I have been trying different pellets and temps in search of the perfect taste for us.My Pit Boss seems to be heavy enuf to hold heat and think I will get many years of service from it and with all the after market parts out there I cant see not being able to fix it if some thing breaks.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:15 AM   #53
Pug-N-Monk's BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Brett

I do love my Yoder. I usually use an A-Maze-N tube for additional smoke, and it's great for direct grilling. When I get my stick burner, the Yoder will be used often to finish the cooks after wrapping so I can get some sleep. Think of it as a professional meatsitter!

Shirley Fabrication 24x50 Modified Trailer, Yoder YS640 Comp Cart.
Pug-N-Monk's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote