• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Beer can duck on a weber

rw02kr43

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Has anyone done this? I want to make a duck for christmas, but no idea how. I'll be using a weber Silver. It's what my sister has. Any suggestions?

Jason

I have done several ducks, in the oven, on my grill and on the smoker. Using a Weber with charcoal you definately need a drip pan as ducks release tons of grease during the cook and you can end up with a flaming ball-o-duck easily. Just score the skin and fat in a criss-cross pattern and pour boiling water over the duck prior to smoking as this will melt a lot of the fat and then smoke to about 160 IT. Wonderful!!

I havent. But there is no reason it cant be done. It should turn out good. Like golf said a drip pan would be a must.

I know everyone has their own ideas. I have grilled duck and I have smoked duck. In fact, I grilled 2 last night.

The biggest issue with duck is the amount of fat in the skin. That is also one of the biggest selling points taste wise. It's the only poultry where I eat the skin so grilling helps a lot in that regard.

My advice is to score the skin as stated. Don't cut too deep and expose the meat or it just dries the bird out.

Between grilling and smoking, the smoked duck looks the best but the grilled duck tastes the best IMO. The key to duck is a hot grill, moving frequently to avoid grease fires. I half my ducks and quartered is fine as well. On a 550-600 degree grill, it's about 18 minutes till finished. Alll that said, duck is best when done rare to med rare (I go ~155). Rest it tented/or wrapped in HD foil for 10-15 minutes and it will retain the flavor and juices while coming up to temp ~160. Retain those juices, they are wonderful! The 170 for poultry doesn't work for duck. You want the breast to be moist and a little pink.

I wouldn't try a beer can duck just because the presumption is that the beer can style adds moisture. That's not an issue with duck due to the fat content. I marinate mine for 24 hours and on the grill they go. I brine whole chicken and turkey and those have always been Very moist. I have never tried brining a duck as I just don't see the need.

Like I said, I'm sure others will have opinions and some good ones to boot. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I did mine on the UDS, but here is the post. It came out really good. We have done it a few times since then and my wife just bought 3 more.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1131556&postcount=1

The best one I did was partially frozen, not on purpose. This took a long time to get up to internal temp but the extra time let the fat just melt out from under the skin. It was very good.

duck results

well it failed terribly. I cooked it with a pan under it with indirect charcoal on both sides. The skin looked awesome when I pulled it off. but then it sat for about 2 hours. Bad timing on our hostesses part. Heated it up again in the oven and it was nasty. tough, no flavor and skin was rubber. I hated it and so did everyone else. So, that will be a first and last I think.

Jason

Back