• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Wanna Play Rate My Box

S

SmokeInDaEye

Pork shoulder from Battle of the BBQ Brethren.

pork.jpg

Very nice box! I would give it a 9. The only things that i can pick on are the slices and the sauce. The slices don't look centered in the box, and there may be too much sauce on the chunks, but that's not enough for me to knock it down to an 8.

I'd probably go with a 9 but maybe an 8. The sliced money muscle is not centered and the sauce on the chunks could be a bit cleaner. Obviously those are super easy fixes so that pork box could get a guaranteed perfect appearance score from me REAL easily! That lettuce work is awesome! I gave up on that stuff and switched to parsley a long time ago since I could never do anything that nice with it.

Overall, great job!

Yeah, I thought it looked pretty decent but the judges didn't. 5, 6, 9, 7, 5, 7.

Can't quite figure those out considering I lost a tie breaker for RGC and prize money.

Wow. The slices are a little dark, and aren't centered, you might have evened out the garnish in the back a little, possible gotten a few more chunks in....

Those are cooks criticisms. I don't see how that box is close to a 5.

They effing couldn't see it with all the paparazzi bulbs going off!!! Actually looks pretty good though. I'd have gone an 8. Meat is down in box and not popping out at me. Looks a bit over sauced. Bottom row not symmetrical with top. S

That is the kind of results that I HATE! i can see a difference in taste or tenderness because on chunk may taste better or have a better texture that the next, but everyone is looking at the same box! How can it look that much different?

Sorry it cost you the RGC, SIDE. I really can't see anything that you did wrong that was that major. Don't beat yourself up over it.

just for the fun of it, here's appearance scores for my other categories
Chicken: 8,8,9,8,8,8
Ribs: 8,8,8,9,8,8
Brisket: 6,7,8,8,8,9

That box got 2 5's and a 6 in appearance?!?! Holy fark! Looking critically, I'd like to
see a little more pork in the box, resulting in a little less greenery. I'm thinking 8. It
really looks pretty darned good though. Even the 7's would be a fairly brutal score...
I can see an 8, I understand the 9's. Nothing else, IMHO.

I would say a 7.. Maybe even lower if they are a jag bag judge... Nothing spectacular, but above average. the lower left section got me. there was a piece I just wan't sure what it was. Probably was the angle and the picture though. I do like the lettuce. Although, I see you also get caught with the sauce hitting the edges and I don't think you notice it that much with parsley. Me as a cook wouldn't score that down though.

*** Ok, I just looked at everyone else's scores. After re-looking at the box, I'd stick with my scores. The chunks aren't defined is probably my biggest critique. The $$ muscle is scewed to the left. The 5's are off, but I think the 9 is as well.

Yeah, Scottie, the lady who took the picture was shooting around me while I was touching it up so it is at a slight angle but what can you do? Another day, another dollar.

7 maybe a 6. It just looks,,,"off" My eye is really drawn to the dark chunk 3rd from the left right below the money muscle. The money muscle looks over sauced. The whole presentation doesn't say "eat me":becky:

I don't see it being a 5, that looks like a 7 or 8, more likely an 8 to me.

Interesting. I almost always get 8s and 9s on my pork boxes. I'll have to look at it with a more critical eye at my next contest. A 5 in my mind is the messes I turned in at my first couple contests:

shoulder.jpg

what is that green stuff surrounding the meat? Must be something before my time

Back